Nvidia Iray - GTX 1060 Cudas

Are the Cudas being utilized?

Or nah?

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Viper016 said:

Or nah?

No idea, if the CUDAs on your 1060 (it is your 1060 you're talking about?) are being used.

Please give us a clue what you're wanting to ask.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,314

If your scene blows the VRAM on your 1060, then the CUDAs will not be used, and your render will run very slowly on CPU only.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,578
    Viper016 said:

Or nah?

I have a 1060 with 6GB and Iray in DS uses the cudas. Download the latest version of DS and the latest drivers from nvidia and you should be good. Ironically, volume shaders in 3DL always cause the same system/install to crash on a simple scene lol.

- Greg

• Assuming you are asking about support for Pascal cards in Daz Studio, you need DS 4.9.3.166 (or later) and a recent nVidia driver - 372.x or later is recommended.

• Viper016Viper016 Posts: 158

Yes, I am currenlty on a MSI GE72VR 6RF Apache Pro

• Latest 6th Gen. Intel® Core™ i7 processor
    • Latest GeForce® GTX 1060 6/3GB GDDR5 with desktop level performance (6GB for me)
    • 16GB RAM

Blah blah, but I guess I am using Cudas then xD

• As long as you have the GPU checked in the Advanced tab of Render Settings, yes (and as long as you are using Iray to render, not 3Delight).

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,596
    Viper016 said:

Yes, I am currenlty on a MSI GE72VR 6RF Apache Pro

• Latest 6th Gen. Intel® Core™ i7 processor
    • Latest GeForce® GTX 1060 6/3GB GDDR5 with desktop level performance (6GB for me)
    • 16GB RAM

Blah blah, but I guess I am using Cudas then xD

If you have the 3gb version of 1060 then if you go over that with the texture and what the desktop gui uses then yes the cpu will take over and it will take forever.

As long as you have the GPU checked in the Advanced tab of Render Settings, yes (and as long as you are using Iray to render, not 3Delight).

The title says Nvidia Iray - GTX 1060 Cudas so I don't know why I would be using 3Delight...

and Yes, I have had for this whole time only GPU and Optix checked.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

Just check it with any GPU monitoring software. If it fires up when you render, then its working. If it stays at base values, then no. Simple as that.

Just check it with any GPU monitoring software. If it fires up when you render, then its working. If it stays at base values, then no. Simple as that.

I have day one with the Dragon Center System Monitor and it is was always at 96%-99% for GPU usage or so.

I was just under the impression that Cudas was some kind of extra added power that only some programs/plug-ins could access. Like OptiX Prime Acceleration.

I just wanted some clarity and/or reassurance upon the subject.

Thanks for you time everybody. Peace.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

CUDA is just Nvidia's programming interface. Like how AMD calls their tech "Stream Processors" in their cards. They are kind of similar in a way. Of course, you cannot use AMD cards in CUDA applications like Daz Studio Iray.

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    Viper016 said:

I have day one with the Dragon Center System Monitor and it is was always at 96%-99% for GPU usage or so.

If it's at 99% the CUDA cores are being used for something, that's for sure.  But if you want to experiment and really convince yourself, I suggest you pop over to the thread below, dowload the sample scene and push render.  If it takes 4-6 minutes to complete, that's GTX1060 speed right there.  If it takes 20 or more, CPU.  Give it a try!

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53771/iray-starter-scene-post-your-benchmarks/p1