Can previous David/Victoria/Michael files from 2008 be used for Daz4?

DMaxDMax Posts: 637
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I took a few years off from Daz3D and returned to find massive changes!

Today I located all my old David/Victoria/Michael files (tons of clothing, items, poses, etc) from Daz, Carrara, Hexagon etc all from back in 2008. Can all these still be used with today's software? I haven't been successful in getting them to load on Daz4 (on Mac Mountain Lion).

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,435
    edited December 1969

Yes they can still be used

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Do you mean you can't install them, or you can't find them after installing, or Weird Stuff™ happens when you try to put something into your scene? The way we see installed content in D|S has changed a lot since earlier versions, and it's not uncommon for people to get tripped up by it, especially if they're familiar with how things used to work.

• DMaxDMax Posts: 637
    edited December 1969

Oh dear, I just realised that I will be unable to install them because I am on Mac 64bit and the stuff from 2008 were on the PowerPC which is no longer supported. Does it mean I will have to repurchase everything from scratch?

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited January 2013

No need to repurchase — remember, if you've bought something at DAZ, you've bought it forever. DAZ has finally done something about old Mac installers not working in new versions of OS X, and all the older stuff is being re-worked as plain .zip archives, not the old system of a .zip containing an installer program. Just go into your Itemised Order History and click on the reset link for everything old enough not to work. The new files should show up immediately in your Downloads page.

I'm not sure, though, if DAZ have actually finished doing the conversions. And since the old "burn to CD" option was discontinued last year, if you have a lot of old stuff this might take quite a while.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on