Modern Fighter Jets and Bombers.

To my absolute shock, Daz has no modern fighter jets or bombers.

There are a few sci-fi ones but nothing from current military stocks.

no migs, no us fighters zip...

I am sure an enterprising builder could start filling in the gap

not even WW2 fighters....

I am mainly looking for modern fighters.

please do not reference other web sites...yes I know they have a few.

I am suggestion they make some here

Thank You

Comments

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,343
    edited April 2017

Well, DAZ has this one in obj format: https://www.daz3d.com/bombardier-challenger-300-for-wavefront-obj

ETA: This product appeard to have now been pulled from the store.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • It's hard to say for sure, but perhaps DAZ hasn't had someone submit one that they thought was worth the time to run through QA.

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

To actually replicate existing military hardware, they would need the copyright permission of any relevant companies still in existence.

However, we do have a recent modern tank and the 'Dark Hawk' is presumably a Black Hawk with some slight superficial changes. There is a pre-Iray era Cobra helicopter gunship and a Huey. Again, I assume those have just enough slight changes to escape copyright violation stuff. Surprised nobody's given us an Apache, as of yet!

I've always thought there was a market for concept planes which never reached prototype stage or for perhaps combining one or more planes into a unique fuselage (a Harrier combines with an A-10, for instance). That's essentially how they got the appearance of the dropship in 'Aliens', after all - and there are disappointingly few futuristic gunships in the store - and none, whatsoever, which have a ventral gun turret for firing independently at surface targets.

• ThorntoaThorntoa Posts: 22

hmmh, to Xenomorphine, at least in the US if the US govt finances and buys a design for the military it is not illegal to produce 3d models or scale models of it.  The US govt (the people) have the rights at that point.  If you have a commercial design converted to military usage, well that is another ball game.  So for most combat equipment, you should not have an issue producing something for the Daz store.

• To actually replicate existing military hardware, they would need the copyright permission of any relevant companies still in existence.

Respectfully, this isn't accurate. This all comes out of the toy and model companies from a few years back, but the gist of it that if the taxpayer funds and buys the hardware, then the US Government owns any copyrights to names and imagery. Boeing has bought up oodles of defense companies over the yeas and tried to copyright the names of WW2 airplanes, much to the disgust of plastic modeling companies who received C&D letters from them. One went to court, another to Congress, and in the end it was all fixed to the consumers' and taxpayers' advantage.

There are some times when the company can assert copyright, as in if they name the product. The name may belong to them, not the government. However, if the taxpayer funded and bought the item, then the company doesn't own the copyright to the basic design. There are other ins and outs that the lawyers will be able to explain better, but that's basically correct. Now, company funded planes are another matter. You will see things like, "Officially licensed by Boeing," on the boxes of 1/1444th scale Zvezda Boeing 777 models, and similar because that jetliner was and remains a soley civil design funded by the company, not the taxpayer. 

Designs on these taxpayer funded planes are another matter. Chuck Yeager tried to copyright the name, "Glamourous Glennis," the name of his P-51 and later planes named for his wife. Decal makers would respond by saying that he might be able to copyright the name, but as it appeared on a USAAF P-51, painted on a taxpayer bought plane with taxpayer bought paint by taxpayer paid ground crew, that it's in the public domain. That's a whole 'nother can of worms! A few decal makers responded by printing out things like, "amourous lennis," and then printing the "G"s separately! There are ways around a lot of things.

Hope this helps.

Bob

• I also have seen something similar to what retiretomaui said; someone did a 1/18th scale model of the V-22 Osprey (radio controlled flight capable, no less) and got permission to use the name from Bell-Boeing.

• father1776father1776 Posts: 982

Rend.... has about 6 different modern-ish jet fighters so it can be done.

but as always, double check copyright issues, better safe than sorry

• corporal27photocorporal27photo Posts: 2
    edited May 2017

do the wavefront .obj files work in DAZ 3D? Do i need the .max file version? What is the difference?

I would assume they would both work if they are selling it, but just wanted to make sure before i go buy something i cannot use. I am not a heavy user of DAZ, but learning. I see Vanishing Point has some interesting aircraft in there that would be agreat additions to DAZ but not sure what works with this and what needs other things.

thanks for any responses.

Post edited by corporal27photo on
  • ZyloxZylox Posts: 787

An .obj file can be imported into DAZ Studio or Poser, but it may need some work. 3DS Max files will not work in either DAZ Studio or Poser. Personally, I would stick to Poser files for Vanishing Point products and pass on other formats.

• ModelerMJModelerMJ Posts: 41
    edited May 2017

I'm in the process of developing a SketchUp importer for Daz Studio, and when I came across this thread I wondered if there might be some modern fighter jets on the 3D Warehouse.  Turns out there are quite a few.  Since I am in the internal testing phase right now and am looking for 'acid tests' I thought this might be a good opportunity.

A quick search turned up a model of an F-15 by author named  'Tony'.  Here it is in SketchUp:

Here it is after being exported from SketchUp and imported into Daz by my SketchUp Importer software.  The geometry that shows up white indicates reversed faces in SketchUp, which is something that is the bane of anyone trying to write this kind of converter software.  In those cases it's currently my expectation that (a) it can be cleaned up in SketchUp and transferred again, or (b) a suitable material re-application can be made in Daz.  Even if the latter turns out to be the preferred route, I think it still shows a huge savings in modeling time, and since most of the textures are in fact correct, the touch-ups should not be that much extra work (compared to a total repaint, which might be required with other trasnfer scenarios).

Here's another model, supposedly a Turkish fighter.

Comments are welcome.

Regards,
    Mike

Post edited by ModelerMJ on
  • Roboman28Roboman28 Posts: 210

There are other sites that do military aircraft. Best one is Schells http://www.schells.ca/the-airfeild which is quite cheap thanks to the weakness of the Canadian dollar. Renderosity and Contentparadise also has a few. Beyond that there are sites which do OBJ models, some of which convert ok. Actually we are lucky because military stuff for poser/daz is typically $20 where some OBJ sites want up to $100.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,594
    edited May 2017
    Roboman28 said:

There are other sites that do military aircraft. Best one is Schells http://www.schells.ca/the-airfeild which is quite cheap thanks to the weakness of the Canadian dollar. Renderosity and Contentparadise also has a few. Beyond that there are sites which do OBJ models, some of which convert ok. Actually we are lucky because military stuff for poser/daz is typically $20 where some OBJ sites want up to $100.

Agreed. I have paid $60 before for just an .OBJ that I needed for a project, so prices in this community are pretty cheap compared.. In this test image the only DAZ asset is the HMMWV, the rest are from the warehouse, the games I play and the web.

runwaymil.jpg
    1539 x 870 - 1M
    Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
  • tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,048
    edited May 2017

Vanishing Point has a few... some of them have already made their way to the Daz store!  Most of them are in Poser or Vue formats, though...

https://www.daz3d.com/vanishingpoint

There are a bunch more on the VP Website.  One of our forum members here was taking requests as far as which models to convert to Daz next, and also r.e. adding some of the other models to the Daz store.

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on