New characters ... nice ones now.

OK.. You've given us hell and every dark creature in it... 

https://www.daz3d.com/infernum

Now where is heaven and the creatures of light?  Where is the Jesus character I can use for religious art?  How about Jewish rabbi outfits?  Greek Robes, crown of thorns.. A whole industry around this is waiting.. and political figures... celebrities.. What about if you have an infant in a daiper character?  Could be realistic and you don't have to worry about offending people if it comes covered.  Having a realistic newborn would be awesome and would be its own base... then I would need a manger.. LOL  Get where I'm going with it right... Need some wise men too...

Also... please redo the Genesis Supersuite with Iray materials ... thanks.

Comments

• Where's the fun in that? LOL

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

You'd have a job finding a historically authentic image of Jesus everyone would agree upon... I'm not even sure there's a consensus on what his ethnicity might have been. Even so, there are a ton of body and facial morphs for you to use to combine for your own version. You don't really need a whole new figure to be brought out for a being or character who is essentially human in appearance; the tools are already available with what's there.

Spiritual light effects:
    https://www.daz3d.com/body-of-light

Angelic wings:
    https://www.daz3d.com/feathered-wings-for-all
    https://www.daz3d.com/seraphim-wings-for-genesis-3
    https://www.daz3d.com/seraphim-xpansion-for-genesis-3

Angelic poses:
    https://www.daz3d.com/heaven-sent-poses-for-genesis-3-female-s
    https://www.daz3d.com/z-fallen-angel-poses-for-the-genesis-3-female-s

Heavenly environment:
    https://www.daz3d.com/epic-skydomes-cloud-haven-hdri

Hair with crown of thorns:
    https://www.daz3d.com/historical-curls

The only real things lacking are some robes and possibly a crucifix - though you could probably use one of them from the various vampire-hunting kits and simply enlarge the prop.

There are also an array of cathedral, church and chapel interiors.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,961

Didn't we just have this thread a month ago?

Most positive figures in most religions are very human looking, so all you really need is, well, a human. There are gobs of wings for such things, a halo is fairly easy to generate in a bunch of different ways (depending on what style you are shooting for), and then robes, well, lots of robes, including 'angel robes.'

Beyond that, we have elephant people and a wide variety of animal style beings that cover those elements in religion. (Like, Bast would be trivial with Creature Creator and addons)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602
    edited April 2017

Jesus exists already. On sale at Yurdigital here: http://yurdigital.com/catalog/3231-realms-art-genesis-jesus-christ

You get the mantle, crown of thorns and loin cloth, robes, cross and sandals.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580

Didn't we just have this thread a monthweek ago?

Fixed that for ya.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/160016/iray-utopia-and-celebrities-and-religious-characters

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

I came here to say that most characters released are nice; the OP was talking about religious inspired ones, so perhaps the title could be changed.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    edited April 2017

I like modern crosses with nobody on them, but anyway, as said they models, wings, robes are all there to make your renders. As to why you don't see those in the galleries and in the DAZ store but instead see all the demon, devils, incubuses (am I allowed to say a word without having a clue as to what that word means?), and other fictional creatures; people must be buying them although personally I have more trouble telling those creatures apart then the various near Michael 7 / Victoria 7 variations that are in the DAZ Store.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • SnowPheonixSnowPheonix Posts: 896
    nicstt said:

I came here to say that most characters released are nice; the OP was talking about religious inspired ones, so perhaps the title could be changed.

You might be right but not just religious... I like Utopian, light hearted themes.. I want to make things beautiful... religion just represent a small part of it that is also potentially profitable.

I'd like to think the recent Centuar may have been inspired by this line of thought.. Seems like a pretty nice creature and it has its own base... I think Angels deserve its own base because Genesis says they were Giants and as I pointed out probably last month that they can have things like Angelic script raised in the skin like in the movies. and while people keep pointing out that there are wings for the Angels what we don't have is a base with BUILT IN WINGS.. so that the wings are part of the character and not just on him.. Yes.. Angels deserve their own base too.  I can think of many nice mythical creatures that deserve a good update.. I've got Unicorns for Horse but I'm thinking Satyrs could be an interesting base too.  I need this stuff for religious art that I'm working on because of this mention:

Isa 13:21  But wild beasts of the desert shall lie there; and their houses shall be full of doleful creatures; and owls shall dwell there, and satyrs shall dance there.

I like modern crosses with nobody on them, but anyway, as said they models, wings, robes are all there to make your renders. As to why you don't see those in the galleries and in the DAZ store but instead see all the demon, devils, incubuses (am I allowed to say a word without having a clue as to what that word means?), and other fictional creatures; people must be buying them although personally I have more trouble telling those creatures apart then the various near Michael 7 / Victoria 7 variations that are in the DAZ Store.

Oh and let's not forget the endless zombie march... Yes, somebody must be buying them all but its not me although I do have a morph package that I got on the cheap 'just in case' LOL   You know what it is.. I think there is enough garbage in the world already.. I don't need to contribute more of it.. give me something beautiful to share... Help me create something that inspires people ..  Clearly,  I need all the help I can get. :) LOL

horses4a.png
    1288 x 575 - 1M
  • Hey what's wrong with Zombies it's someone who died and came back to life. ;)

edited April 2017

There are specific things that tend to sell in the store. Pretty young females and their content, poses, is pretty much number one. People like rendering women, monsters, and gothic stuff which is why they are big sellers. Less mundane stuff, particularly men's content doesn't sell well. I'm not sure how well a Jesus would sell here. Since no one has made one, yet, I almost wonder why not. Seemed like it might sell to those who want something at least for Easter iconography. I almost wonder if it is being avoided- it certainly might be controversial figure since there is a fair amount of debate on how he looked.

I honestly don't see much need for an Angel base. But there is already a cupid for those who want a putti/cherub. There are also several satyrs. unicorn is sold at Hivewire... Looks pretty nice too.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    edited April 2017

Well really it's easy to model an ugly asymmetric monster than to model a beautiful symmetric human being or other creature. Also, to entertain like as was done on 'I Love Lucy' vs cheap fright and disgust, well it's much easier to do the cheap fright and disgust. 

As far as this oversupply of monsters, to hear some PAs tell it, even the best selling products in the DAZ 3D Store earn barely substenance wages, but that might be a case of Jeremiahs discouraging competition.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

Jesus exists already. On sale at Yurdigital here: http://yurdigital.com/catalog/3231-realms-art-genesis-jesus-christ

You get the mantle, crown of thorns and loin cloth, robes, cross and sandals.

Thank you so much for that but I'll be honest... while that looks like a great resource... I never use Genesis as main character anymore...

Hey what's wrong with Zombies it's someone who died and came back to life. ;)

Don't get me wrong.. I'm not hating.. I want zombies to have single payer healthcare too... God knows they need it most but I like stories with a happy endings... how about the Renaissance after the dark ages?  The point being that they have the negativity well covered...  We could use a lot more heros to inspire us on... :) 

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116

I guess it depends what your interests are. Personally, all of the creatures are a breath of fresh air for me. I've had my fill of carbon copy pretty girls and muscular 6 pack abs. 

Where's the fun in that? LOL

Where's the FB-esque like button for this? lol

There are specific things that tend to sell in the store. Pretty young females and their content, poses, is pretty much number one. People like rendering women, monsters, and gothic stuff which is why they are big sellers. Less mundane stuff, particularly men's content doesn't sell well. I'm not sure how well a Jesus would sell here. Since no one has made one, yet, I almost wonder why not. Seemed like it might sell to those who want something at least for Easter iconography. I almost wonder if it is being avoided- it certainly might be controversial figure since there is a fair amount of debate on how he looked.

I honestly don't see much need for an Angel base. But there is already a cupid for those who want a putti/cherub. There are also several satyrs. unicorn is sold at Hivewire... Looks pretty nice too.

I kind of get that maybe Jesus is being avoided too... I'd like to see him have his own base too.. holes in the hands would be a very unique effect that could be very artistically inspiring.  I'd like to be able to recreate this passage:

Joh 20:20 And having said this, He showed them His hands and His side.

As to an angel... again.. It's nice to be able to put wings on a man and call it an angel but to have a model where the wings are a part of the character.. so that the bones from the wings are part of the man...  I own every set of wings that DAZ currently sells... I don't need wings that sit on the characters back.. I want wings that are a part of the character.  I want to see the bones in the back as part of the creature.

couples4a.jpg
    1288 x 575 - 688K
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Jesus doesn't need his own base figure, stigmata wounds can be added with geo-grafts

edited May 2017

Zombies are excellent to have. You forget that not every model needs to havea  serious artistic use. I obtained various zombie models for satirical humour reasons.:)  There's a lot of comedy gold you can mine with the right inclusion of a zombie to imply someone is brain-dead.

They're also great to use for cadavers. Just put them in a sleeping pose with eyes shut or open (as is your preference) and you immediately have something which can populate, say, a dungeon or battlefield. They don't have to literally be used to represent the resurrected undead.

I also like playing around with completely hypothetical album cover concepts. Stuff like zombies are great for heavy metal.

As to angelic figures, as you say, only one or two films have represented angelic figures with scripts in their skin (and I'm fairly sure there are oen or two products out there which have such an ability). I don't recall any actual legends referring to that. So, you're basically asking for a portrayal which would fall under copyright. I don't recall angels being referenced as having a certain size, but their hybrid children were meant to be, along with giant red-haired cannnibals in native American legends. There's no reason you can't simply resize a conventional Genesis series character. That's always been the easy way to create a giant.

For angelic-style wings, just look at the links I supplied above. They do look like they're part of the body. I don't understand why you feel otherwise about them. You won't get a new winged base character coming out which would look any different.

Personally, I feel we have too many feathered-style wings in the story. I'd like reptilian ones where the membrane does not stretch down the back, but attached at the actual joint. Would especially like some draconian cybernetic ones! All the cybernetic ones, so far, are more feathered in style. A variety of robotic tails would be great, too.

I honestly doubt that Jesus is being 'avoided' any more than figures from a whole slew of other religions. I'd love to see Buddha, but there's only an old static statue model for that. Again, you have a lot of different ideas about what Jesus' ethnicity was meant to have been, let alone his facial shape. It would be impossible to come up with one which everyone agrees on. Just get some of the many products for long hair and beard styles and simply make your own.

Post edited by Xenomorphine on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

Where's the fun in that? LOL

LOL

edited May 2017
     I'd like reptilian ones where the membrane does not stretch down the back, but attached at the actual joint. Would especially like some draconian cybernetic ones! All the cybernetic ones, so far, are more feathered in style. A variety of robotic tails would be great, too.

I honestly doubt that Jesus is being 'avoided' any more than figures from a whole slew of other religions. I'd love to see Buddha, but there's only an old static statue model for that. Again, you have a lot of different ideas abotu what Jesus' ethnicity was meant to have been, let alone his facial shape. It would be impossible to come up with one which everyone agrees on. Just get some of the many products for long hair and beard styles and simply make your own.

I love the way you think and strongly agree.. I would love to see Buddha.. wouldn't it be great to be able to pose him and put any expression on his face.. endless possibilities.. no worry about copyrights and can be used in many different situations... Old Buddha.. Young Buddha... but... somebody is going to argue that only 20 something Barbies are bought by the masses... Except.. they don't sell the real varity of characters and rich history that we should be exploring... I mean.. Dracula and Frankenstien are "Public domain" so we could be creating those characters without any worry of copy right violations... And we see a plethoria of monsters and vampires have their own base and nobody argues...  Let's not limit our creative freedom to just  generic characters...

Post edited by SnowPheonix on
  • There is a male vampire character for Genesis 3; he's just not called Dracula. Any of the monstrous characters for Genesis 3 Male could, with some imagination, be Doctor Frankenstein's Monster (what we generally refer to as Frankenstein, by the way). As for Angels, why be locked into the popular belief that they look any different than demons, since the New Testament actually implies that if we were to see one of each standing in front of us, we would not be able to tell the difference visually.

Dracula has a multitude of different likenesses - there isn't any one single appearance which represents him. Hollywood made him come across as handsome (in which case you'd have to choose between Bela Lugosi, Christopher Lee and so on), but the novel dictated he looked elderly and gradually got younger as the story went on. Just please don't assume he was meant to be the same as Vlad the Impaler, because he wasn't. :) Stoker officially placed Vlad as an ancestor of his own ficitonal Count. They weren't meant to be one and the same individual.

Raw Art's also done a very nice Nosferatu-style vampire.

For vampires, they can look however you please. I just wish someone would do a convincing, good quality rendition of Dracula's classic suit and cape, as well as Count Orlok's clothing, too.

edited May 2017

Dracula has a multitude of different likenesses - there isn't any one single appearance which represents him. Hollywood made him come across as handsome (in which case you'd have to choose between Bela Lugosi, Christopher Lee and so on), but the novel dictated he looked elderly and gradually got younger as the story went on. Just please don't assume he was meant to be the same as Vlad the Impaler, because he wasn't. :) Stoker officially placed Vlad as an ancestor of his own ficitonal Count. They weren't meant to be one and the same individual.

Raw Art's also done a very nice Nosferatu-style vampire.

For vampires, they can look however you please. I just wish someone would do a convincing, good quality rendition of Dracula's classic suit and cape, as well as Count Orlok's clothing, too.

Since the copyright laws were changed by less progressive people, pretty much any movie version would be a copyright violation but basing characters on public domain characters like Bram Stroker's Dracula or the Bible's Jesus Christ, or any character out of our world history makes perfect sense.  The reasons for naming characters like Dracula is just like you articulated when you said "Dracula's classic suit and cape"... You see, characters own a certain look... entire worlds can be made around single characters which in the end means that customers would then have access to items like Dracula's castle just by searching out the characters name.. how cool would it be?

DAZ should not be afraid to use people and characters inspired by real or historical characters.

Post edited by SnowPheonix on

There are a lot of extremely different versions of Dracula on both film and TV - and none of them match up to how he was described in the original novel. :) You could render a picture of any G3M character with fangs, claim it was Dracula and nobody would care, because it's basically your own personal interpretation. Christopher Lee, Bela Lugosi, Gary Oldman, Louis Jourdan - they each all look miles apart from one another. None of them is universally accepted as the definitive Dracula (and more recent versions, like 'Dracula Untold', have drifted even further away from the source material than ever).

Clothing is a different matter to a facial likeness. The cape was shared by a variety of actors and more recognisable in popular culture as to do with Dracula (though I honestly don't know if the book ever described it as the Count's costume or if it was purely an invention of the films).

It's like Julius Caesar. There have been a huge number of actors who've portrayed him. The only thing Daz or one of their content creators could do for Caesar might be a toga. The historical person's actual profile does feature on coins, but I'm not sure it's detailed enough for someone to craft an actual recognisable G3M likeness of. So, the only thing which could be done would really be a toga and that wouldn't be enough to base a big release around. Heck, Cleopatra would be a better bet - and the popularised versions of her are very different from the one they've reconstructed using forensic techniques! :)

There are a lot of extremely different versions of Dracula on both film and TV - and none of them match up to how he was described in the original novel. :) You could render a picture of any G3M character with fangs, claim it was Dracula and nobody would care, because it's basically your own personal interpretation. Christopher Lee, Bela Lugosi, Gary Oldman, Louis Jourdan - they each all look miles apart from one another. None of them is universally accepted as the definitive Dracula (and more recent versions, like 'Dracula Untold', have drifted even further away from the source material than ever).

It has nothing to do with how the character itself looks but rather how everything attached to the brand would be found.  See if there was nothing in a name then DAZ wouldn't bother putting them on any of the characters and they would just call them "Male 7" and then we put generic everything in it... why again do people argue about product ideas in "PRODUCT SUGGESTIONS"?  Are you making vampires or Jesus Christ himself?

If you're going to claim your new character product is directly inspired by a certain pre-existing entity (whether fictional or historical), then how it looks is a huge part of it.

What you propose is exactly what Daz already does and they generally pull a name out of thin air to identify it to potential cutomers. The vast majority of characters on sale aren't based on anyone. They're meant to be original creations (specifically to avoid complaints, being sued or both).

If you're going to claim your new character product is directly inspired by a certain pre-existing entity (whether fictional or historical), then how it looks is a huge part of it.

What you propose is exactly what Daz already does and they generally pull a name out of thin air to identify it to potential cutomers. The vast majority of characters on sale aren't based on anyone. They're meant to be original creations (specifically to avoid complaints, being sued or both).

It would be interesting in my opinion to see more diverse based characters.  I especially want to see an infant ... the Gerber baby was a standard in advertising for years. 

While "how they look" is a huge part of it... it is also something that can't be trademarked.. whether or not Jesus had any color skin is up for debate but what seems to be lost in translation is the idea of a THEME to go with those characters... so that in the Jesus Christ package, it would have the robes, the crowns but it would also have all the related products tied to that individual which varies according to the depth of the character..  The fact is that DAZ or any artist for that matter can take the creative license to make the characters look however they want.

Frankenstien, Edgar Allen Poe's characters are all in public domain along with Tom Sawer... Dorothy and the wizard... scarecrow, tin man.. I know DAZ started doing some work with Alice in Wonderland.. It would be great to bring that theme back now that the technology is improved too.. could really go for some 'trippy' themes in that direction.  Then of course there is the war characters.. As politically incorrect as it might be.. I still think somebody needs to make a NAZI uniform.. even if its one of the "extras"... people are so afraid to be honest in art huh?

There are nazi uniforms at content paradise and other site. There is also Jesus Christ. I am surprised there are no appropriate robes for him for the current generation but long robes are kind of tough to make so  can see why. Jesus is probably quite dialable as are many historic figures.

There are nazi uniforms at content paradise and other site. There is also Jesus Christ. I am surprised there are no appropriate robes for him for the current generation but long robes are kind of tough to make so  can see why. Jesus is probably quite dialable as are many historic figures.

Do you ever find it strange when you go to product suggestions and people tell you to shop somewhere else to find what you want?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,389
    edited May 2017

Do you ever find it strange when you go to product suggestions and people tell you to shop somewhere else to find what you want?

If a niche item like that is already available elsewhere then it's not likely to be sold here too, so shopping elsewhere is actually your best option.

Post edited by Leana on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,961

I find it enormously helpful, actually.