Iconic shapes for Genesis vs Genesis Generation X

ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
edited December 1969 in New Users

I'm a bit confused by the Iconic shapes for Genesis packages vs Generation X....what the differences is...does one supplant the other? Do they complement? I understand the Iconic Shapes let genesis look like A4 or whoever....So wouldn't the various morphs or clothes etc then work? Or can you only use genesis stuff then, and need GenX to transform the whatever's to work?

(I'm hoping this is the right place to post...I'm a new user..sort of..and didn't see something else that quite fit)

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The Iconic Shapes give you the default shape, but the morphs won't work. You would need GenX as well to use the morphs from older figures.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

For clothes, Generation 4 clothes will autofit with no other purchases; for Generation 3 clothes you need the matching iconic shape.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Just to clarify something. The iconic shapes do come with morphs that will make the Genesis shape look like the generic gen 3 or gen 4 shape, and this can be mixed to some percentage of the Genesis shape mix just like any other Genesis morph. When fix says the morphs won't work, what he is referring to is custom generation 3 or generation 4 characters won't work with the Genesis shape with the Iconic package. That is what GenX is for, converting 'custom' gen3/gen4 characters to be used with Genesis.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

Ah.. Ok...I get it now (at least pretty much). I guess the next question would be does it work well?

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited February 2013

It varies. The results can differ a lot depending on the morphs. The face is where you'll notice the majority of difference, particularly around the mouth as there are fewer polys to work with on Genesis than there are with Gen4 characters. I've posted the comparison shot below before, but I'll repost it so you get an idea. The one on the left is the original K4 with Kaelyn morph, the other one is Genesis with a GenX'd version of the morph

The thing to note is that if you want to transfer a Victoria 4 morph you'll want the iconic shape to start with. The morphs by themselves won't give you the V4 body shape, they just modify the existing body shape into the character you want. So Lee for M4, for example, you would require the morphs and the iconic M4 shape. You'd move the M4 slider to give it the correct appearance and then use the new slider for the Lee character to get the final figure.

This does mean, however, that you can blend different morphs with other iconics, like mixing M4 morphs into V4 to give a more rugged female. Or K4 morphs to create a younger more softened face.

K4_Compare.png
    800 x 398 - 400K
    Post edited by Herald of Fire on
    edited December 1969

Huh..thanx for the info!

(Of course, before I even begin to look at Iconic Shapes and GenX, i should learn just basic using of the software...this is me, getting distracted by sparklies and trying to run before I can crawl.)

edited December 1969

Scavenger said:
    Huh..thanx for the info!

(Of course, before I even begin to look at Iconic Shapes and GenX, i should learn just basic using of the software...this is me, getting distracted by sparklies and trying to run before I can crawl.)

Haha, some of my best work was done by aiming higher than I could reach. Sometimes it pays to think outside of your comfort zone so you push yourself to master new skills.
    edited December 1969

See to the left, where it says i joined the forum in 2003? See where it says I've posted 6 times?

I have this tendency to get all geared up to learn Daz3d (and Poser before it, dating back to v3)...spend time getting distracted at the stores, getting lots of nifty free models storing up on hard drives.....And then never learning the software.

So, this go around, eye on the prize...learn to use the program, THEN get fancy! :D

edited December 1969

Well, post more and ask questions. You'll find most of us are a friendly bunch who love sharing our knowledge of the things we enjoy. The fastest and easiest way to learn is by example.

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

Scavenger said:
    See to the left, where it says i joined the forum in 2003? See where it says I've posted 6 times?

I have this tendency to get all geared up to learn Daz3d (and Poser before it, dating back to v3)...spend time getting distracted at the stores, getting lots of nifty free models storing up on hard drives.....And then never learning the software.

So, this go around, eye on the prize...learn to use the program, THEN get fancy! :D

Once you have posted 27 times, you get to be a 'member' and you become the proud owner of your first little green box ;)