Scene Optimizer [Commercial]

Comments

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190
    edited April 2017

just wondering what kind of viewport manipulation speed improvements folks are getting with optimized scenes?

that's almost as big a plus as faster render times would be for me.

j

Post edited by jardine on
  • mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501

Setting the max Texture size is "one single compression number" (or two) for the whole scene, whatever the real interest of the maps for the render you want to make (some maps may be interesting to be kept high resolution, some are totally useless at the resolution they currently have). Texture maps reduction here allow you to specify which texture reduction you want for which objects. You can do nothing or just reduce slightly maps size for close very visible objects, and reduce strongly for far away ones, or "over textured" ones. Also I'm not sure that the normal maps are involved in the maximum texture size compression + thresholds. You can use it as a complement anyway.

I have to go I'll be back tomorrow.

Thank you for the insight! :)

• bicc39bicc39 Posts: 589

Great product, works as advertised, thank you!!!!!

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

So I couldn't copy the files created by the scripts and put them in the same location on my PC version of Studio if they have the same content as the Mac? 

• V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,049
    jardine said:

just wondering what kind of viewport manipulation speed improvements folks are getting with optimized scenes?

that's almost as big a plus as faster render times would be for me.

j

It will depend a lot of the type of scene you work on, and what type of optimization you make for development and/or render. It will go from not noticeable to very strong. I think it is better if users give their feedback.

mtl1 said:

Setting the max Texture size is "one single compression number" (or two) for the whole scene, whatever the real interest of the maps for the render you want to make (some maps may be interesting to be kept high resolution, some are totally useless at the resolution they currently have). Texture maps reduction here allow you to specify which texture reduction you want for which objects. You can do nothing or just reduce slightly maps size for close very visible objects, and reduce strongly for far away ones, or "over textured" ones. Also I'm not sure that the normal maps are involved in the maximum texture size compression + thresholds. You can use it as a complement anyway.

I have to go I'll be back tomorrow.

Thank you for the insight! :)

You are welcome :)

bicc39 said:

Great product, works as advertised, thank you!!!!!

Thank YOU!

So I couldn't copy the files created by the scripts and put them in the same location on my PC version of Studio if they have the same content as the Mac? 

If you resized some images and your copy the scene ONLY, it will be insufficient. But if you copy the scene and the content created (the new maps created) then it will be fine to swap between MAC and PC. All the new maps created end in a content runtime. For not Daz Connect products, the new created images end in the original runtime folder of the product. For Daz Connect product all the new maps enter in the runtime of a mapped content folder that you choose via the Scene Optimizer interface (Daz Studio remembers this choice from session to session, but you can change it when you want), and I think that for it, it is safer for your case to choose a mapped content folder in the list provided. So normally if you copy your content folders and your scenes, then both your MAC and PC will be able to work with the same scene.

If you want to know all the image maps and their absolute paths, you can have the list of all the image maps used in your scene by running the "Store" script, and open it via any text editor.

I hope it answers your question, if you still have questions, if you find I have not been clear, please ask.

• bicc39bicc39 Posts: 589

In the time span of twenty four hours this has become the most wortwhile item I have purchased in some

time.

The people at DAZ might want to think about buying this from you to incorporate into the program.

I wish you a lot of success with this

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@dragotx  "Most of my renders everything is up close and personal, to the point that I have problems picking environments because even the backgrounds are too low rez."

I think you will find that even in a "head and Shoulders" portrait there are a lot of high rez maps that are on parts out of the scene. If you have isuues with background rez (i.e. you can see a background), then this will almost certainly make a difference.

I can't find the product docs (for the pdf). I've looked here: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/41000_41999 , but the actual docs seem to stop at 39999.

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134
    fastbike1 said:

@dragotx  "Most of my renders everything is up close and personal, to the point that I have problems picking environments because even the backgrounds are too low rez."

I think you will find that even in a "head and Shoulders" portrait there are a lot of high rez maps that are on parts out of the scene. If you have isuues with background rez (i.e. you can see a background), then this will almost certainly make a difference.

I hadn't thought about reducing the textures on stuff that's not on camera, that's a good point.  The issue I have with background rez is that too many of them are already too low resolution, and look horrible at 6827×3840.  I don't see how removing details would possibly help with that.  But the part about items that are not in the scene is a very good point.

@dragotx

What I meant by the comment about background was that if your scene shows any background, rather than just a closeup of a face, then you almost certainly have many elements in a scene that may have high res textures.

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134
    fastbike1 said:

@dragotx

What I meant by the comment about background was that if your scene shows any background, rather than just a closeup of a face, then you almost certainly have many elements in a scene that may have high res textures.

Ah, ok, that makes more sense.  I'm leaning more towards getting this one, it would be nice to be able to have more control over my memory usage (I keep overloading my 1070 and dumping it down to CPU)

bicc39 said:

In the time span of twenty four hours this has become the most wortwhile item I have purchased in some

time.

The people at DAZ might want to think about buying this from you to incorporate into the program.

I wish you a lot of success with this

Thank you very much for this really nice comment, it goes right to the heart!

dragotx said:
    fastbike1 said:

I hadn't thought about reducing the textures on stuff that's not on camera, that's a good point.  The issue I have with background rez is that too many of them are already too low resolution, and look horrible at 6827×3840.  I don't see how removing details would possibly help with that.  But the part about items that are not in the scene is a very good point.

For parts that are not in the scene you can also remove Bump, normal, displacement maps this will also be very helpful!

fastbike1 said:

I can't find the product docs (for the pdf). I've looked here: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/41000_41999 , but the actual docs seem to stop at 39999.

The user guide is here : http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/41479/41479_scene-optimizer-user-guide.pdf

and the full product page, including the user guide is here : http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/41479/start

• I'm having trouble with the scripts on Windows 10 Home Edition and Daz Studio 4.9. No matter what I select (1 or 100 materials), the script appears to get stuck uppon opening the first material. It stays at 20% until I get tired of waiting and cancel the queue; at which point it tells me : "An error occured while reading the file". I am also unable to run the texture backup script... same error message.

I changed my permissions for the DAZ Studio folder to give "change" access to all users, without avail. Any idea on what could be the issue?

Thanks in advance for your help!

edited April 2017

I'm having trouble with the scripts on Windows 10 Home Edition and Daz Studio 4.9. No matter what I select (1 or 100 materials), the script appears to get stuck uppon opening the first material. It stays at 20% until I get tired of waiting and cancel the queue; at which point it tells me : "An error occured while reading the file". I am also unable to run the texture backup script... same error message.

I changed my permissions for the DAZ Studio folder to give "change" access to all users, without avail. Any idea on what could be the issue?

Sorry for the issue. Do you have Daz Studio Version Above 4.9.0.33?

if it is the case can you :

1. Tell me for which script(s) there is a trouble? Optimizer? Store? Restore? In which circumstances does it happen exactly?

2. Can you open the log file and copy what it says just after the issue happens (end of the log file) so that I can see where the issue is located in the script.

I think my laptop is windows 10 home edition I am going to have a look. This will allow me to patch more easily if required.

edit : I am presently on my windows 10 home edition laptop. I have tried all the scripts on Genesis 2 base female (just to be fast) and everything seems to work fine. I wait for your answers to see how to solve your issue by finding what is the origin of the issue first.

Post edited by V3Digitimes on
  • I'm having trouble with the scripts on Windows 10 Home Edition and Daz Studio 4.9. No matter what I select (1 or 100 materials), the script appears to get stuck uppon opening the first material. It stays at 20% until I get tired of waiting and cancel the queue; at which point it tells me : "An error occured while reading the file". I am also unable to run the texture backup script... same error message.

1. Tell me for which script(s) there is a trouble? Optimizer? Store? Restore? In which circumstances does it happen exactly?

2. Can you open the log file and copy what it says just after the issue happens (end of the log file) so that I can see where the issue is located in the script.

I think my laptop is windows 10 home edition I am going to have a look. This will allow me to patch more easily if required.

edit : I am presently on my windows 10 home edition laptop. I have tried all the scripts on Genesis 2 base female (just to be fast) and everything seems to work fine. I wait for your answers to see how to solve your issue by finding what is the origin of the issue first.

This is what happens when I try to to use script V3DSO 01 :

Loading script: D:/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect Library/data/cloud/1_41479/scripts/v3digitimes scene optimizer/v3dso 01 store scene texture map state.dse
    WARNING: Script Error: Line 43
    WARNING: TypeError: Result of expression 'FileInfo.absolutePath' [undefined] is not a function.
    WARNING: Stack Trace:
     <anonymous>()@D:/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect Library/data/cloud/1_41479/scripts/v3digitimes scene optimizer/v3dso 01 store scene texture map state.dse:43
    Error in script execution: D:/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect Library/data/cloud/1_41479/scripts/v3digitimes scene optimizer/v3dso 01 store scene texture map state.dse

This is what happens when I try to to use script V3DSO 02 :

Loading script: D:/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect Library/data/cloud/1_41479/scripts/v3digitimes scene optimizer/v3dso 02 scene optimizer.dse
    Loaded image mahogany_floorboards_bump.png
    Loaded image mahogany_floorboards_spec.png
    Loaded image leathernormal.png
    Loaded image Satin.jpg
    Loaded image walnut_bump.png
    Loaded image walnut_spec.png
    Loaded image concrete_fine_polished_bump.png
    Loaded image vel1.jpg
    Loaded image grunge_d.jpg
    WARNING: Script Error: Line 2363
    WARNING: TypeError: Result of expression 'FileInf.absolutePath' [undefined] is not a function.
     <anonymous>()@D:/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect Library/data/cloud/1_41479/scripts/v3digitimes scene optimizer/v3dso 02 scene optimizer.dse:2363
    Error in script execution: D:/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect Library/data/cloud/1_41479/scripts/v3digitimes scene optimizer/v3dso 02 scene optimizer.dse

It appears to be an error with the same function with both script...

edited April 2017

I'm having trouble with the scripts on Windows 10 Home Edition and Daz Studio 4.9. No matter what I select (1 or 100 materials), the script appears to get stuck uppon opening the first material. It stays at 20% until I get tired of waiting and cancel the queue; at which point it tells me : "An error occured while reading the file". I am also unable to run the texture backup script... same error message.

Loading script: D:/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect Library/data/cloud/1_41479/scripts/v3digitimes scene optimizer/v3dso 01 store scene texture map state.dse
    WARNING: TypeError: Result of expression 'FileInfo.absolutePath' [undefined] is not a function.
     <anonymous>()@D:/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect Library/data/cloud/1_41479/scripts/v3digitimes scene optimizer/v3dso 01 store scene texture map state.dse:43
    Error in script execution: D:/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect Library/data/cloud/1_41479/scripts/v3digitimes scene optimizer/v3dso 01 store scene texture map state.dse

Loading script: D:/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect Library/data/cloud/1_41479/scripts/v3digitimes scene optimizer/v3dso 02 scene optimizer.dse
    Loaded image Satin.jpg
    Loaded image vel1.jpg
    WARNING: TypeError: Result of expression 'FileInf.absolutePath' [undefined] is not a function.
     <anonymous>()@D:/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect Library/data/cloud/1_41479/scripts/v3digitimes scene optimizer/v3dso 02 scene optimizer.dse:2363
    Error in script execution: D:/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect Library/data/cloud/1_41479/scripts/v3digitimes scene optimizer/v3dso 02 scene optimizer.dse

Thanks a lot.

1. If I have a look at the script 01 (the one to store the file) line 43, the issue is when you enter the name for the text file you want to save the map information in. In your case, the script does send back as "undefined" the name you enter (name+path). Can you try to change the location and the name of the text file you want to save the map information in? Normally a window pops up asking you where you wanted to save this file. Did it happen properly for you?

2. On line 2363, this is where I process, one by one, the map names to know if they are coming from Daz Connect products or not. I absolutely don't see what can happen here. The script here simply uses the maps loaded so they should exist on the computer.

OK anyway I am here to solve this issue. So for the first problem (script01) can you try to enter a new name, in a new folder for the destination text file? For the second problem, I would need to identify which map causes the issue to see if there is something specific in the name or path of this image map which may cause DS not to find it on the computer.. For this, there are several solutions. Either you remove the objects in your scene until we find the guilty one or I also could try to send to you a debug version of the script which would give more informations to you, if I manage to write this.

edit : ok I have written a debbugging version which should allow us to know where the issue comes from (the object, the material, the property). Could you PM me your e-mail adress so that I can send it to you?

Loaded image Satin.jpg
    Loaded image vel1.jpg

Thanks a lot.

1. If I have a look at the script 01 (the one to store the file) line 43, the issue is when you enter the name for the text file you want to save the map information in. In your case, the script does send back as "undefined" the name you enter (name+path). Can you try to change the location and the name of the text file you want to save the map information in? Normally a window pops up asking you where you wanted to save this file. Did it happen properly for you?

2. On line 2363, this is where I process, one by one, the map names to know if they are coming from Daz Connect products or not. I absolutely don't see what can happen here. The script here simply uses the maps loaded so they should exist on the computer.

OK anyway I am here to solve this issue. So for the first problem (script01) can you try to enter a new name, in a new folder for the destination text file? For the second problem, I would need to identify which map causes the issue to see if there is something specific in the name or path of this image map which may cause DS not to find it on the computer.. For this, there are several solutions. Either you remove the objects in your scene until we find the guilty one or I also could try to send to you a debug version of the script which would give more informations to you, if I manage to write this. edit : ok I have written a debbugging version which should allow us to know where the issue comes from (the material, the property). Could you PM me your e-mail adress so that I can send it to you?

1. I always receive the same error, even when I change the path or filename.

2. I launched DAZ Sudio, onpened a new blank document and loaded the scene : "Level 19", which I downloaded via DAZ Install Manager... same problem.

I want to also point out that I have two library locations configured. My DAZ Connect Library appears to be under "My Documents" and my other library location is under D:\DAZ Sutdio Content. I don't know if this could be related to this issue.

edited April 2017

1. This is really weird for the "1" because it is something extremely basics, there is nothing more basics. Well, I have reduced it to its simplest version. Can you try the Does the File Info Exists DSA joined to this post, and have a look in the log file if is says "And the returned path is" then the name of the folder you saved it in?

2. I am going to test on level 19 to see if it works for me. 

Normally, there should be no issue having a Daz connect library and the other library location on another hard drive. Can you test the file I join just to be able to know if the basic function works for you?

edit : and can you PM me your email adress so that I can send to you the debugger file for the optimizer?

edit 2 : Have you restarted your computer. It is normally not required, but I remember people having troubles with scripts solved this way. Don't ask me why..

edit 3 : No issue for me with level 19, works perfectly.

dsa
    dsa
    Does the file info exists.dsa
    283B
  • 1. This is really weird for the "1" because it is something extremely basics, there is nothing more basics. Well, I have reduced it to its simplest version. Can you try the Does the File Info Exists DSA joined to this post, and have a look in the log file if is says "And the returned path is" then the name of the folder you saved it in?

2. I am going to test on level 19 to see if it works for me. 

Normally, there should be no issue having a Daz connect library and the other library location on another hard drive. Can you test the file I join just to be able to know if the basic function works for you?

edit : and can you PM me your email adress so that I can send to you the debugger file for the optimizer?

edit 2 : Have you restarted your computer. It is normally not required, but I remember people having troubles with scripts solved this way. Don't ask me why..

edit 3 : No issue for me with level 19, works perfectly.

1. Sent PM a few minutes ago with requested information.

2. Just restarted and same problem with Level 19.

I receive your MP thanks a lot.

I JUST REALISED THAT ABSOLUTE PATH EXISTED ONLY FOR DAZ STUDIO VERSIONS EQUAL OR ABOVE 4.9.3.29.

Could this be the cause of your issue?

• Could be the case... I have 4.9.1.30. Downloading the latest update and will try again in a few minutes.

• edited April 2017

Could be the case... I have 4.9.1.30. Downloading the latest update and will try again in a few minutes.

I have donwloaded version 4.9.3.166 and your scripts now work. Good call!

Post edited by mguimond_cd252db1a1 on

It is really probably that, I could not found any reason for a simple "absolutepath" function not working. And since it is the same function involved in both scripts, and since this function exists only since 4.9.3.29, this is most probably the reason why it failed.

I already asked Daz an update for the version compatibility. This is 100% my fault, I made a mistake when I looked for the "lastest compatible build". I took the wrong function in my script as the limiting one. I thank you a lot for helping me finding this mistake.

I am really confused about that!!! I will update the documentation if necessary and also will mention it in the main post of this thread. I cross the fingers now...

• It is really probably that, I could not found any reason for a simple "absolutepath" function not working. And since it is the same function involved in both scripts, and since this function exists only since 4.9.3.29, this is most probably the reason why it failed.

I already asked Daz an update for the version compatibility. This is 100% my fault, I made a mistake when I looked for the "lastest compatible build". I took the wrong function in my script as the limiting one. I thank you a lot for helping me finding this mistake.

I am really confused about that!!! I will update the documentation if necessary and also will mention it in the main post of this thread. I cross the fingers now...

I have sucessfully used your script on a iRay scene involving an open loft with a great deal of furniture in it, that I had worked on a few monts back and given up completely because of the ultra long render time (2 to 4 hours in order to get decent results).

The image is still rendering but I can already tell you that after 10 minutes of rendering, I already have the same result that I would normally get after over two hours with the same scene. Great tool! Can hardly wait to try it with my other scenes!

It is really probably that, I could not found any reason for a simple "absolutepath" function not working. And since it is the same function involved in both scripts, and since this function exists only since 4.9.3.29, this is most probably the reason why it failed.

I have sucessfully used your script on a iRay scene involving an open loft with a great deal of furniture in it, that I had worked on a few monts back and given up completely because of the ultra long render time (2 to 4 hours in order to get decent results).

The image is still rendering but I can already tell you that after 10 minutes of rendering, I already have the same result that I would normally get after over two hours with the same scene. Great tool! Can hardly wait to try it with my other scenes!

I am so happy it works for you now! So it was just a matter of Daz Studio version.

I am also so confused I made a mistake in the compatible version initially. Please accept my apologies for that! It was my responsability to set the right version initially....

Have an happy rendering. Remember with Iray the greatest benefit will be when you manage to fit in your video board a scene which could not fit in previously. Otherwise, also note that "useless" maps removing is also an important factor to save time. Well if after 10 minutes you have the same result that after 2 hours previously, it is already a nice benefit.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

Personally I've made 'mouth blank' material presets, because frankly I'd be surprised if they actually appear in more than 10% of my renders.

That's a great idea Will. You can share them here if you want, it will be a nice complement. As I said in a previous post, I had not thought of it, if I had, I would have probably included something about that.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

V3Digitimes: this is a superb product and I really love it. So useful, already and saving me so much time. Thanks so much! =-)

V3Digitimes: this is a superb product and I really love it. So useful, already and saving me so much time. Thanks so much! =-)

You are really welcome! And thanks so much for your comment!!! Your feedback really makes me happy :) :) With such tools (optimizer/store/restore) I always have doubts how people will react to that. If the interface and documentation will be clear enough so that most people really benefit all of what the scripts can do... If artists will find "their" best way to optimize "their" specific scenes. Because they are tools and there is the human choices behind on which action, which resolution, what to hide, what to remove.. Plenty of doubts, and you make me feel better! Thanks a lot!!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

No problem. I found it very intuitive and easy to use. I'm not one who likes to read instructions, so I just tested the default settings and what would have been an 74 minute render became a 12 minute render. For those of us without a lot of time or high end machines this is a lifesaver.