Painted gravity for clothes.

I don't know if this would be just as big a challenge as implementing a full physics system, but I'd love to see a tool where you can simply paint an area of a clothing item and then apply gravity, for example by holding down the space bar, the space bar could act as a toggle to switch the effect on/off until you get the desired effect, then exit the tool. Or perhaps the gravity could be simulated on the fly by the action of painting part of the clothing (I guess this would require a fast computer).

This would be great for adding realistic touches to clothing without the need for a full item gravity simulation. Often conformed clothes work fine and you don't want gravity to distort the whole garment. However conformed clothes often don't fit every pose and so being able to just brush over parts of the clothing and apply "gravity" to that localised area would enable cloth to shape to the underlying object/figure giving great realism.

So, all you programing gurus, is this a realistic idea for a DS addon?

Anyone else interested in a tool like this for direct use within DS?

Comments

• Three WishesThree Wishes Posts: 471

I don't know if this would be just as big a challenge as implementing a full physics system, but I'd love to see a tool where you can simply paint an area of a clothing item and then apply gravity, for example by holding down the space bar, the space bar could act as a toggle to switch the effect on/off until you get the desired effect, then exit the tool. Or perhaps the gravity could be simulated on the fly by the action of painting part of the clothing (I guess this would require a fast computer).

This would be great for adding realistic touches to clothing without the need for a full item gravity simulation. Often conformed clothes work fine and you don't want gravity to distort the whole garment. However conformed clothes often don't fit every pose and so being able to just brush over parts of the clothing and apply "gravity" to that localised area would enable cloth to shape to the underlying object/figure giving great realism.

Is http://www.pixelfondue.com/blog/2017/5/2/modo-soft-body-goal-map the kind of thing you have in mind?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I'm guessing then you have already seen the OBI Cloth product in the Unity 3D Asset Store ($47 I think and for Unity 3D)? That's what that product does, more or less.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

@ Three Wishes. Yep that's precisely what I had in mind. It just confirms the old adage that "If you have a good idea, most likely someone else has already had that idea too." So, the tool is available in Modo, I wonder if anyone has the skill to implement that kind of tool in DS?

@ nonesuch00. No, I hadn't seen this. OBI cloth looks great for making animations more realistic. I assume that OBI cloth only works in Unity (which I know almost nothing about). It would be great if this kind of animation capability were available in DS.

@ Three Wishes. Yep that's precisely what I had in mind. It just confirms the old adage that "If you have a good idea, most likely someone else has already had that idea too." So, the tool is available in Modo, I wonder if anyone has the skill to implement that kind of tool in DS?

@ nonesuch00. No, I hadn't seen this. OBI cloth looks great for making animations more realistic. I assume that OBI cloth only works in Unity (which I know almost nothing about). It would be great if this kind of animation capability were available in DS.

Yes, OBI clothes is Unity only. sad

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 833

Carrara's soft body physics allow you to do that. (ie to apply a physics simulation to part of an item.)

I looked very quickly at the Modo video, without sound, and it seems to work the same as Carrara's soft-body-attach modifier.

In Carrara you can apply the modifier to an item and specify which vertices will be 'exempt' from the simulation - the pull of gravity.  It is easy to select all vertices of the garment first of all (these will remain unaffected by the simulation) and then paint out a select few which will have the physics simulation work on them.

A morph can be created from the results of the simulation - at least in Carrara - I know nothing about morph creation for use in DAZ Studio.

A major downside to using Carrara is getting the correct physics settings - this takes trial and error.  If the clothing mesh is very dense, with hems or different layers and is too close to the underlying figure then the simulation may be just one big explosion of the cloth. 

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 833

Here is the Tunic for Stephanie 3 in the pose it has when it loads into Carrara.  I have painted an area of the tunic which you can see has slackened and drooped in the simulation (Tunic's lower right side).

The simulation was very fast but in this instance I had no figure to collide against.  In the past I spent way too much time with this kind of thing to want to go through with it again!  So this is just an extremely quick demo.

SPTunic.jpg
    640 x 480 - 31K
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,767
    edited June 2017

"" So, the tool is available in Modo, I wonder if anyone has the skill to implement that kind of tool in DS?"

Keep in mind that the autofit feature would  likely make this kind of "live"Draping impossible on a conformer
    perhaps on some newly implemented Dynamic cloth system similar to VWD... but not a conformer.
    Those programs where it is possible, are not using
    DAZ autotfit tech.
    I  would guess that if daz updated its auto fit tech to be able to do this it would break compatibilty with all previously created clothing content.

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

In the past I spent way too much time with this kind of thing to want to go through with it again! 

There is the root of the problem. There are programs that simulate gravity and do it in clever and useful ways. However, if you want to port the results into DS, you are in for a long haul. DS needs it's own gravity simulation, or the ability to use the gravity simulation of another program directly within DS. It needs to be easy and intuitive to use. Come on, you programmers, we are not asking for much ;)

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I think the first step would be to stop using vertices to detect draping collision and start using facets. That would eliminate cloth falling through items.

Well as I can't ever get a Genesis 3 female doing anything but standing in a dress or skirt and have it not look wonked I hope DAZ does something native to DS like VWD.