We've been asking for ten years... where is 64 bit Bryce?

BrycescaperBrycescaper Posts: 148
edited May 2017 in Product Suggestions

Is anyone at Daz listening? Has the success ofThor Iron Man and Captain America caused you to deem Bryce inferior and thus 'abandonware'?

We Bryce users have been begging for ten years for you to upgrade Bryce to a 64-bit application, primarily because of the larger scene file sizes available. Even with LAA (Large Address Aware), a script that accesses 64 bit memory above and beyond  the 2GB 32-bit applications, LAA accesses only two GB extra memory for scene files. The maximum file size I can run (and this is on a custom-built system with 32GB of RAM) is 3.8GB, then I run out of memory. So that's one scene, such as Palm Island, Ultimo Psrsdiso or Palm Island, with a Marabella Resort or Bora Bora villa, populated with s maximum of 5 Genesis2/3 charecters, or perhaps 7 Millenium V3/V4 charecters, before I run out of memory. For having 32GB working onboard ram available on my system, such small file sizes are unacceptable.

No program approaches Bryce's ease of use and quick workflow. Not to mention that it can replicate every aspect of the real world-including true volumetric atmosphere and skies, plus the texture editors and preset libraries. It leaves Studio in ruins when it comes to photorealistic 3D rendering. Anything in the real world Bryce can replicate except moving water like waves. At 32 bits though, it's limitations are aggrevating. I'd likre to create a beach scene swarming with people, concert or crowd scenes of a dozen people. I want 10GB file sizes of tropical beaches filled with beachgoers, lined with resorts, each with pools with swimmers, and create 360 panoramas or using the 'camera paths', drone-like arial tours of entire resort communities. I know DAZ is not a software company, it sells models. Well, how about applications that can handle file sizes to include more models?  Bryce is a professional-grade, high quality 3D application, and DAZ needs to take a second look and gives Bryce the attention and potential we've always known hass been there. Don't let Studio go to your head guys, Bryce was light years aheead of its time when it was first developed and is still the best and most complete 3D software out there. It isn't just for trees and mountains anymore like Corel envisioned it, and DAZ needs to come out with a 64 bit version, becauseit is an insult to Bryce users that not only is it still only a 32 bit application, but after TEN YEARS of plesading the question we have not been so much as acknowledged.. 

1 (12).jpg
1201 x 900 - 342K
1 (31).jpg
1200 x 900 - 621K
1 (44).jpg
1000 x 750 - 633K
Background8.jpg
2000 x 1500 - 2M
Post edited by Brycescaper on

Comments

• BrycescaperBrycescaper Posts: 148

All the above were created in Bryce. Need I say more?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited May 2017

Well for me I don't use it much but it is nice. I'd at least like to see the UI updated to not break trying to move Bryce to another monitor.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,767

"Not to mention that it can replicate every aspect of the real world".......... Anything in the real world Bryce can replicate except moving water like waves."

Two contradictory statements in the same paragraph
    can it simulate wind to blow plants like vue can? 

" It leaves Studio in ruins when it comes to photorealistic 3D rendering."

Not since the addition of IRay and subsurface scattering on human skin maps and what about mesh lights with emissive surfaces and true PBR materials??.

"Bryce is a professional-grade, high quality 3D application"

Not really.. professional applications are 64 bit.

The core Bryce code was written by the french musical  theorist Eric Wenger nearly 30 years ago when 64 bit computing was the stuff of science fiction.
    I doubt its. vestigial code could be made 64 bit without a complete core rewrite.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,869

they found a dinosaur tail with feathers in amber so anything is possible one day

th3Digit said:

they found a dinosaur tail with feathers in amber so anything is possible one day

LOL Dinosaur is quite appropriate here.

Possible and economically cost effective are two different things.
    How much revenue is DAZ  getting from Bryce products compared to 
    Genesis 3 Content?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

Honestly, those Bryce renders are ok, but they really don't hold up next to most current stuff. Iray looks way better.

Bryce shaders and volumes are awesome, but at this point it seems more like I'd want to see those features migrated to a cutting edge renderer than try to improve 90% of Bryce.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Is one allowed to mention deceased     and    equines in the same sentence.  

Honestly, those Bryce renders are ok, but they really don't hold up next to most current stuff. Iray looks way better.

Please check some of the Bryce galleries.  This is one which jumps Immediately to mind.   https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/23842/

This is another good example  A gu called Slepalex    https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/?q=slepalex&x=10&y=9

Check out his still life images as well.   

"Please check some of the Bryce galleries."

Why??...The OP already knows what Bryce can do
    as does Daz I must assume.

As to the subject of the thread  indeed it is a Dead Horse.

There will be know 64 bit version of Bryce  from Daz inc.

As for the bryce galleries they honestly look no different than what was  being produced ten years+ ago.
    and most  people in 2017 are not willing to wait multiple hours or even days for a single image.

The technology and expectations have moved on ......and Bryce has not
    (certainly not in the ways Vue has advanced)

I understand how loyalists can be passionate about thier favorite application,nothing bad about that.

But in this Figure -centric userbase, focused on portait renders with  realistic sss skin maps& Physically based lighting/ rendering,
    Bryce does not inspire such passion it seems.

wolf359 said

Why??...The OP already knows what Bryce can do

message was to  timmins.william  as you will see if you check the quotation.

I have been a brycer all my 3d life,  was my first ever 3D Program, is still my main one, and I do know the OP from the Bryce forum.

edited May 2017

"message was to  timmins.william  as you will see if you check the quotation."

Yes But Timmins has already stated the following:

"Honestly, those Bryce renders are ok, but they really don't hold up next to most current stuff. Iray looks way better.
    Bryce shaders and volumes are awesome,
    "

which indicates to me that he  has seen what is being done in Bryce
    and has formed his opinion (quoted above) from what he has seen.

I had a Person offering to show me his Bryce renders via private messenging recently after some comments I made About Bryce vs Vue.... again   Why??

IMHO Imploring people to go look at Bryce galleries serves no purpose in a disussion about Bryce becoming 64 bit or human Skin in bryce compared to  IRay etc.

I used bryce for years since Bryce 2 was released in the early 1990's
     (Remember Susan Kitchens??)

And I have Bryce 7 "pro" installed On my win7 PC

Most of us Know what a Bryce render looks like as the overall look of them has not Changed in  over a Decade.

The same cannot be said for the Daz Figures or the output from even the most entry level version of vue whichi I also have for comparison.

Post edited by wolf359 on
    edited May 2017

You know I am going to disagree with you.   Bryce has changed a lot since Daz bought it from Corel.  When Bryce 7 came out about 6½ years ago it included advanced lighting and HDRI.   Looking at David Brinnen and Horo's stores will show just how much difference that has made.

Comparing Bryce to Iray is not going to be much difference to comparing Iray in DS to 3Delight in DS.   compare biased to biased and unbiased to unbiased.  Some peope do not like the look of unbiased rendering,  hence ther are also threads around with people stating their preferences for one or the other.

BTW any good Brycer will tell you that human skin is not the easiest thing to get right in Bryce.

But if you are setting up a comparison don't compare cats to dogs,

And, as I hinted at in my first post, this is a discussion that has happened time after time after time. Nothing new is being said.

Also truthfully this thrread is in the wrong forum, as technically it is not a product suggestion,  The product already exists. this is a request for an upgrade, is all.

People are usually only a source of interest in my images rather than the main focal point, but just sometimes I do try to get A clsoe up looking good.

Post edited by Chohole on
    Chohole said:

Is one allowed to mention deceased     and    equines in the same sentence.  

Please check some of the Bryce galleries.  This is one which jumps Immediately to mind.   https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/23842/

This is another good example  A gu called Slepalex    https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/?q=slepalex&x=10&y=9

Check out his still life images as well.   

somewhat reminiscient of the swamps going to Jekyll Island outside Brunswick, Georgia

edited May 2017

I'm honestly surprised Bryce in not modernized given it's famous geographical name and made to output game environments for engines like Unity 3D and UE4 given DAZ 3D's known interest in selling models to people and Morph Character System at Morph 3D.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

Daz Iray could really use some robust, optimized procedural shaders.

Ive worked hard to create decent procedural for it, but it's an uphill battle given I can only work with Shader mixer.

It could also use a more robust instancing system and volumetrics.

Those are where Bryce is most competitive, and why sweeping panorama shots usually win out.

edited May 2017

" Even with LAA (Large Address Aware), a script that accesses 64 bit memory above and beyond  the 2GB 32-bit applications, LAA accesses only two GB extra memory for scene files. The maximum file size I can run (and this is on a custom-built system with 32GB of RAM) is 3.8GB, then I run out of memory. So that's one scene, such as Palm Island, Ultimo Psrsdiso or Palm Island, with a Marabella Resort or Bora Bora villa, populated with s maximum of 5 Genesis2/3 charecters, or perhaps 7 Millenium V3/V4 charecters, before I run out of memory. For having 32GB working onboard ram available on my system, such small file sizes are unacceptable."

To the OP My advice is this:
    Stop Frustrating your artistic & creative objectives with tools that puts  limits on your aspirations by virtue of their vestigal nature.
    You have invested in 32GB of Ram
    Consider investing another $200 USD and move into the present
    with Vue Espirit
    http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/vue_2016_esprit/

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/common/printpict.php?link=/showcase/Pictures/Nature/5052.jpg&width=2500&height=1208

edited May 2017

Speaking of  landscape generators
    here is a really old video I did with 
    "Artmatic Voyager"
    It mathmatically Generates "Endless" landscape
    No vegetation though.

wolf359 said:

Speaking of  landscape generators
    here is a really old video I did with 
    "Artmatic Voyager"
    It mathmatically Generates "Endless" landscape
    No vegetation though.

Those look good.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,869

Vimeo embeds stopped working for me I just see a big white space for your post, had to hit quote to see your link

https://vimeo.com/6780076

I posted a thread once on this issue but it seems by lack of replies nobody else has this issue

I just see whitespace too.

edited May 2017

I just see whitespace too.

Indeed Some browsers have suddenly declared vimeo to be an "unauthenticated source".
    Oh well.

"

Vimeo embeds stopped working for me I just see a big white space for your post, had to hit quote to see your link

https://vimeo.com/6780076

I posted a thread once on this issue but it seems by lack of replies nobody else has this issue"