Give me hair.

I have female friends, nieces and other relatives - not to mention my wife. Some young, some older. One thing they all have in common is hair. There are a couple of things that they don't have in common with the majority of Daz hairs (and I have around 300). First: Volume, most women and younger girls don't have puffed up and thick hair that feels like a helmet or wig once it is parented to a figure. They may have really long hair but it doesn't stick out two inches or more from their scalp.Generally the younger they are and the longer their hair the less bulky it tends to be - also the less often they go to a salon where it might be artifically puffed up. 

Secondly, and more importantly in my opinion are bangs. Dear God the bangs. Almost every single hair product has bangs coming down over the forehead, or a part that has the hair obscuring half the face seemingly with no morphs to aliveate this. Or if not bangs some swoopy thing reminiscent of "The Donalds" hairstyle. Not all women cover up their foreheads down or past their eyebrows for goodness sakes. Give me some more realistic options. 

I like the sporty pony tail from OOT and Cathy hair, also the wet hair. But despite having tons of choices the variation just isn't there. I'd love some hair with removeable bangs. 

Rant over I guess. I've just been trying to recreate people I know and hair (amongst other things) goes a long way to help. So I've been buying up hair when it comes on sale just in case sort of. Just hasn't helped as much as I hoped.

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Bangs cover the hairline area which why they are overused I think.

The scalp is and hairline is tough to do so concealing it with bangs makes it easier to model..

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300
    edited May 2017

@ Dareshiranu, I'm with you on the issue of hair items that look like wigs or helmets. I guess the reason is that it over comes the problem of fitting the hair to characters with slightly different head shapes. I too would prefer to see some more realistic "low volume" hair styles. The vendor could take the trouble to add a bunch of FIT morphs that would overcome the issue of unwanted poke through. On the subject of bangs, I am at odds with you there! I love bangs that come down to or past the eyebrows (see attached pic). However, you are right, there should be morphs or options to change this otherwise it can become too samey.

hair1.jpg
    181 x 279 - 6K
    Post edited by IsaacNewton on
  • Blind OwlBlind Owl Posts: 501

@ Dareshiranu, I'm with you on the issue of hair items that look like wigs or helmets. I guess the reason is that it over comes the problem of fitting the hair to characters with slightly different head shapes. I too would prefer to see some more realistic "low volume" hair styles. The vendor could take the trouble to add a bunch of FIT morphs that would overcome the issue of unwanted poke through. On the subject of bangs, I am at odds with you there! I love bangs that come down to or past the eyebrows (see attached pic). However, you are right, there should be morphs or options to change this otherwise it can become too samey.

Ha. I'm starting to like bangs that cover the eyebrows too, but that's mostly because G3F eyebrows are so...blah. They're all approximately the same shape, size, and density, and they all look as if they've been applied with the same dark brown-to-blackish felt pen.

As for getting rid of helmet hair, yes, a thousand times yes!

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300
    Blind Owl said:

Ha. I'm starting to like bangs that cover the eyebrows too, but that's mostly because G3F eyebrows are so...blah. They're all approximately the same shape, size, and density, and they all look as if they've been applied with the same dark brown-to-blackish felt pen.

As for getting rid of helmet hair, yes, a thousand times yes!

Ah yes, eyebrows. They can look so lovely, I prefer soft light coloured ones but even quite heavy, dark, dense ones can look very attractive! Look at Brooke Shields for example. However, so many females these days seem to think that this painted on look is attractive. I wonder if they think Groucho Marx looked attractive, because that's what they look like to me.

Groucho Marx.jpg
    236 x 342 - 15K
  • Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064
    edited June 2017

Hair that covers half the face, is the #1 annoyance on the top of my list.
    And not having any morphs to pull it back is #2.

Post edited by Seven193 on
  • murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436

I agree with all of that. There are several otherwise nice hairstyles that I only use with toon characters, because they're disproportionately huge on normal-sized heads.

My other peeve is that every hairstyle seems to have a bit artfully draped in front of one or both eyes. If a morph affects eye size or shape more than a little bit, those tend to get downright ugly.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

The Stalker Girl hair did things right and I'm really suprised that more hairstyles don't implement this method.

Create a cap to fit to the head. This accomplishes multiple things, sets the hairline, keeps away the pokethrough and blends the hairstyle into the head very nicely.

Then you can parent the hairstyle to the cap without headmorphs messing up the style.

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064
    edited April 2019

I assumed skullcaps were only there for texturing purposes, to cover up the base of the skull, like a hair filler.

Post edited by Seven193 on
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I'm sure that was probably the original intention, but I noticed it provided much more than that and I'm thinking of using haircaps for every piece of hair I use for that reason.

I actually hadn't thought of it until this thread.