editor for ds files

desperadodesperado Posts: 67
edited December 1969 in New Users

I have a couple of shader files that, when executed, give an error message like blahblah".jpg not found". I tried looking at the file in a text editor to see what the file path is, but all I get is iunintelligible gibberish. Any suggestions on what program I can use to read the ds files?

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

If they are plain ds files, then they should be plain text...

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

If they are shaders which you bought, then they may be encrypted, DSE is usually the file extension, there is also DSB (Binary) and DSA (ASCII) as well.

edited December 1969

DSA is 'newer' than the plain ds...both are 'human readable'.

• desperadodesperado Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

These particular files are dsb that I DLd from a frequently used website. Since my text editor can clearly read dsa files, would it be possible to convert these binary files to ASCI?
    Here's a screen shot:

edited December 1969

DSB are binary files...they are precompiled, so no, not with a text editor.

What version of DS?

And what shaders?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,322
    edited December 1969

.dsb can be opened in the Script IDE within DAZ Studio, or by using an archive tool to uncompress them. Unless, that is, they are old (DS2) encrypted files in which case nothing can open them.

edited December 1969

Yes, but wasn't that a separate download in DS3?

I know it's included in 4.x, hence my question about DS version.

edited December 1969

I'm using daz3

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,322
    edited December 1969

Yes, the DS3 IDE was part of the Script Development Kit which is no longer available - the docs are in the Wiki, thanks to Rob, but not the plugin. So assuming you have an archive utility (I use 7Zip), right-click on the .dsb file and choose Extract here from the menu - that should give a plain-text version of the file.

edited December 1969

Well, I also have 7Zip and tried to open the dsb, but it didn't work; the error message was "cannot open as archive". I also tried using Jext, Notepad ++, Vim and one or two others, all didn't work. Since that script utility is no longer available, I'll just quit spinning my wheels and move on. Many and numerous thanks to all for the offered assistance.

edited December 1969

Hmmm. Just remebered that I have ds 4.0 but never installed it. I've been reluctant to do so 'cause I have my ds3.1.2 setup to my liking and I'm concerned that the changeover may/might be too unfamiliar

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

you can have both installed at the same time I have DS2, DS3 and DS4.5 on my system with no problems.

edited December 1969

Yes, the DS3 IDE was part of the Script Development Kit which is no longer available - the docs are in the Wiki, thanks to Rob, but not the plugin. So assuming you have an archive utility (I use 7Zip), right-click on the .dsb file and choose Extract here from the menu - that should give a plain-text version of the file.

Update: I loaded up ds4.5 and behold! the script IDE was there and it worked like a charm. I now have a bit of a learning curve to get over, but I'll get over it OK. To all who helped me over this "bump in the road" Con Muchos Thankos!