Import obj files

Ok i created a shirt in marvelous designer 6 and i import it to the appropriate character. Do i have to zero out genesis 2 character and load it as a static prop and hit triangulate Because when I pose the charector the shirt doesn't move with genesis2 It stays in the same position . When i was able to rig it on to the Genesis2 charector after it was posed i couldn't rotate or translate it. Just scale it which is obviously gets to big Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,455

Moved to Daz Studio forum.

• sfame1sfame1 Posts: 7
    Anyway anyone i think i may have gotten it I uhh ad to begore i attached it to genesis2 model i had to scale it and put it as close to the model as needed I then rigged y he form into a prop using the weightmapp I then used no figure and unsupported Of course i had to import it from an obj then transferred it into a duf file Am i correct? It seemed to pose nice on yhe figure even tho the Genesis2 charector is morphed Lmk
  • The shirt needs to line up with the figure without any scaling, rotation, or translation. It is possible to work on a morphed shape, though the need to compensate for the morph will add an extra degree of defomration to the final outfit. it is even possible, though fiddly, to work on a posed figure. To rig the shirt, assuming there si no posing involved, you import it as OBJ and then use Edit>Figure>Transfer Utility (which will assign the bones and place them so that they align with the bones of the base figure - just creating new bones manually won't work) - set the Source to the base figure and the Target to your imported OBJ. If the clothes were made on a morphed figure you need to set the Source Shape to that morph, and in the More Options list turn on Reverse Source Shape from Target.

The shirt needs to line up with the figure without any scaling, rotation, or translation. It is possible to work on a morphed shape, though the need to compensate for the morph will add an extra degree of defomration to the final outfit. it is even possible, though fiddly, to work on a posed figure. To rig the shirt, assuming there si no posing involved, you import it as OBJ and then use Edit>Figure>Transfer Utility (which will assign the bones and place them so that they align with the bones of the base figure - just creating new bones manually won't work) - set the Source to the base figure and the Target to your imported OBJ. If the clothes were made on a morphed figure you need to set the Source Shape to that morph, and in the More Options list turn on Reverse Source Shape from Target.

Thanks for your time So if i import is as a dson file and zero out genesis 2 ( it was created in marvelous designer zero out) Would i have to rig it before i pose the Genesis2 charector I import it and it first perfect on the Genesis2 charector but there is no rigging questions Maybe i am doing it wrong Because when i pose the Genesis2 charector the shirt doesn't move with the model Thanks
  • I'm sorry, I didn't follow that. The shirt, before rigging, needs to line up with the figure you want to wear it (if it doesn't, adjust it until it does, export as OBJ, and bring that OBJ back in using the same preset to bake the adjustments). Then use the Transfer Utility to rig that.

Thanks So if i had a outfit let say any outfit i can put it on a model zeroed out and then i export the Genesis2 charector and the outfit as one then import it again then pose the model
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

No, if the .obj was modeled on a non-zeroed pose, you need to correct it, then export the shirt .obj and re-import it.

No, if the .obj was modeled on a non-zeroed pose, you need to correct it, then export the shirt .obj and re-import it.

It was modeled on the zero pose Im just having a problem keeping it attached on to the Genesis2 model after i pose it
  • Are you using the Transfer Utility to rig it? Does it line up with the figure as it is imported (if not you may be using mis-matched presets on import and export).

I don't understand what the transfer utility to rig it means..sorry but i am fairly new to creating clothing and putting it on the models Although not new to dazzling studio
  • JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

When building clothing in Marvelous Designer, it will by deafult use their character models for your draping.  You need to take your target Daz3D figure (In your case a Genesis 2 Figure) and export it as an object file (*.obj).  In Marvelous designer you will need to load that object file as your avatar.  Now when you build and drape your clotihng it will be sized and shaped for your Genesis 2 figure in the T pose.  After you are satisfied with your draped clothing, you can export the clothing item from Marvelous Designer as an object file.  At this point when you import your file into Daz Studio it will be sized and shaped for your Genesis 2 figure in the default T pose.  Now you can work on your rigging if you plan on making it into an conforming clothing item.

A good tip to keep in mind with Marvelous Designer:  In the surface properties of each part of your clothing you have two vey useful settings.

• Particle distance :  This number is measured in "mm", it determines how large each polygon face is on your cloth.  Larger numbers will simulate faster but will make less folds and be more likely to create sharp edges while draping, while smaller numbers will be able to generate more folds in the same area.  Can be a usefull tool while deciding what fabrics your clot is made from (For leather you may want a setting of 20 or 30.  Silk you may want a setting of 5 or 6)
    • Quads vs Triangles :  This setting is exactly what it sounds like.  Do you want your polygons to have 3 sides or 4 sides (Daz3D figures are built using Quads, and the default setting in Marvelous Designer is Triangles)  It could be beneficial for use in Daz Studio as a conforming item to set your surfaces to Quads before exporting the object file.
  • sfame1 said:
    I don't understand what the transfer utility to rig it means..sorry but i am fairly new to creating clothing and putting it on the models Although not new to dazzling studio

A conforming item has to have the same bones, with exactly the same settings for origin and endpoint, as the figure it goes on (it can also have additional bones to, for example, control skirts but those have to be added later). You cannot just assign the right bones (by name) and have it work. The Transfer Utility (Edit>Figure>Transfer Utility) allows you to set a source figure (Genesis 2 Female) and optionally shape (a moprh applied to the source figure around which the clothing was made), and a target (your imported OBJ file). It then creates the bones and projects the weights from the base figure into the clothing - that's likely to need adjustments to the weights and may require additional bones (added with the Joint Editor) but it usually gives a good starting point.