Eye problem

I'm trying to learn how to use Iray and am muddling along so far, but I've got a strange problem with the eyes that I can't figure out.  I managed to pretty much get rid of most of the annoying fireflies but now the eyes are weird.  Does anyone have any idea why I'm getting this result?  Is there some setting that I'm missing?

Eye.jpg
432 x 449 - 146K

Comments

• The eye isn't converged - unfortuantely since it's probably the last thing in the scene to covnerge and accounts for a small render the default 95% convergence ratio won't help. You could use the Spot Render tool to render just the eyes, setting it to to go to a New Window in the Tool Settings pane, with a higher Convergence ratio or quality setting in Render Settings and then overlay that on the main render.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300
    edited June 2017

Eyes are composed of numerous surfaces that sit right next to one another. This is problematic for Iray to begin with, and it's made worse by using shaders for the inside surfaces that are reflective. Eyes are very difficult to get right, and the settings differ between each character generation, since they all use a different geometry. There are some for-sale shaders you can consider, or else there are some freebies you can find here, as well as ShareCG and DeviantArt.

You can also experiment with the Max Path Length setting, which sets the number of reflections for any ray. Avoid anything under about 5 or 6, or the eyes may turn black. The default setting is -1, which means to allow an infinite number of ray bounces for reflections. Lowering the internal reflections in the eye could help those surfaces converge faster, but there may be a tradeoff in realism.

Post edited by Tobor on
  • RainRain Posts: 335

Thank you both very much.  Letting it render longer made a big difference but I'm going to try the other suggestion too.  Thanks again!

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

I have better luck getting eyes to look good in Iray by adjusting the iris and sclera to have a matte like setting and rely on cornea eye moisture for all shine and reflection.