Render output as 16 bit PNG file

Is it possible to output the render results as a PNG file with 16 bits per color channel? The default 8 bits per channel is a bit limiting when post processing with Photoshop.

Comments

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Assuming Iray: Render to a cavas (see Advanced tab). That's a 32-bit EXR, which you can then tone map and process in whatever manner you wish.

• Thanks for the suggestion. An EXR file certainly does maintain the color channel bit depth! I can even specify an alpha transparency channel which is why I was using PNG in the first place. Of course my favorite HDR software does not handle that alpha layer, but Photoshop does, so I can work around the problem. Since the PNG format supports 16 bit color channels, it just seemed odd that the render save does not support it as an option. Perhaps in a future DAZ Studio upgrade.
  • ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

D|S graphics format options are very limited. For example, there's no way to set the compression (quality) level for JPG, or the compression type, if any, for TIF. So you're always best off saving in the format that gives the maximum flexibility for your situation, then modifying in a program that provides more output options.