"Go Blender" Plugin

I've tried various methods of exporting to Blender, and so far haven't found a method that gives both a good mesh with geografts located in the right spots and a correct skeleton, both at once.

I'd be delighted to pay for a plugin that exports a perfect model with skeleton, weight maps, materials, and shape keys/morphs--to make the models as ready as can be for animation.

The new PBR shader in 2.79 should make it easier to transfer materials from DAZ to Blender, so hopefully a plugin could translate them perfectly, but if the pluging got model and weight maps and rigging right, having to reapply materials would be OK.

Comments

• I honestly do not foresee one being made. The main reason is the fact that blender is released under the GPL, amd making something that doew what you want would need to be excessively complex to comply with the exception that the Blender Foundation has established that would permit it.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,789
    edited August 2017

"I'd be delighted to pay for a plugin that exports a
     perfect model with skeleton, weight maps, materials, 
    and shape keys/morphs--to
     make the models as ready as can be for animation.

The only thing, I have seen, that even comes close to 
    your request is this:

http://diffeomorphic.blogspot.com/p/export-character-from-daz-to-blender.html

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • InkuboInkubo Posts: 744
    edited August 2017

I honestly do not foresee one being made. The main reason is the fact that blender is released under the GPL, amd making something that doew what you want would need to be excessively complex to comply with the exception that the Blender Foundation has established that would permit it.

"Excessively complex" is entirely subjective, and whether a plugin would be particularly complex or not would have to do with the differences between DAZ data and Blender's needs--it would have nothing whatsoever to do with the GPL.

The GPL only affects a product that incorporates GPL source code or links statically or dynamically with GPL libraries/object code. You can write anything you want that outputs a file format Blender can import, then distribute your product under any licensing scheme you want.

Can you imagine someone suing Microsoft, trying to force them to convert Excel to the GPL and give away its source code to the world because it can export files readable by LibreOffice? Do you honestly believe such a suit would have even the remotest possibility of success?

If the GPL infected everything that interoperated with GPL-licensed software, then the Blender Foundation couldn't license the Cycles rendering engine differently—and yet they do. People couldn't offer proprietary Blender add-ons—and yet they do.

If any plugin developer reads this, I urge you to do your own investigation into the various licensing schemes of the various parts of Blender. Read the licenses and understand what they truly mean. Do not be put off by armchair legal advice offered here in the DAZ forums.

Post edited by Inkubo on