Xfrog plants for free (limited time offer)

2»

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,514
    edited December 1969

Yup, I measured download times as low as 20 KB/s. Best I got was 480 KB/s. I also got a corrupted file and had to re-download it. I order and download in batches, I have yet two left to do. RTT (round trip time) is 3 times higher than from DAZ at my location.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    Thanks for the response. I guess only solution is to wait a bit and keep trying. I noticed the texture size re: cho mentioned on some xfrog stuff I had before and had planned on reducing some of them to see what effect it had on render time.

Yes I was surprised to see that some of the trees are 180mb download files, but when you get them, there are lots of texture maps for them and mostly three different versions of each tree, so well worth it. Maybe try a late night download.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Well I can't even see my shopping cart as it times out.

edited May 2013

I didn't add them to the cart, I just hit the Download button for each item directly from the product page.

ETA: No actually I just checked, I didn't, I'm talking nonsense. I added them to the cart as there is no Download button on that page... disregard the above. :red:

Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

Ah, well... On the Mac it does resize but the colors are all wrong. Sorry 'bout that.
    And thanks c-ram for the links, going to grab some of them now (you can never have too many trees).

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,368
    edited May 2013

Thanks c-ram for the links.

After seeing TheSavage's Bonsai Tree and Chohole's examples, I'm hoping over to download some.

ETA: I just popped over at the xFrog store and there are so many, I'm downloading the Bonsai tree at the moment but with my slow connection it's going to take a while.

I don't want to download all the trees. Can someone suggest a few that I should download. Thanks

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited May 2013

Difficult to recommend really, it soed depend what you will be using them for.

For me it was quite easy, as I picked all the ones that are either native to, or can be seen growing naturally in, the UK

As Himself was a "tree surgeon" before he retired I do get some good advice in that respect.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

I don't know what I'll need, as I have not had much success with landscapes yet. I want to grab a few while they are available.

The Bonsai one is still downloading - it's only 23% done (thats a 180mb file)

edited December 1969

Mermaid: Yes, some of them are rather large downloads and the server does seem a bit slow.
    Some of them are a lot smaller download files though, so hang with it.

As to what to recommend... Like Chohole says, it's all down to what you want to use them for.
    But some of the ones I downloaded (I haven't tried most of them yet as I've been busy with other non Bryce stuff again) are listed with the file size here:
    EA09 Liriodendron Tulipifera Tuliptree - 23.9mb
    SH02 Cornus mas - 11.6mb
    PR01 Alethopteris serli - 11.6mb
    FR10 Mango Tree - 32.5mb
    BS17 Kanzan Cherry - 25.3mb
    BL15 Weeping Willow - 32.7mb

I tried the Weeping Willow, it has a lot of transparency due to the leaves and takes an age to render, but looks superb.

Hope this helps.

edited December 1969

All 3D Vol. 2 files are rather large, between 52.9 MB to 225 MB. The Vol 1 ones are smaller, 1.9 MB to 58.4 M. The volume 2 ones have 9 different grow states of the same plant. The volume 1 ones have "only" 3 variations.

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

I wanted to have the middle aged London Plain tree a little more manageable, so decided to split it up. Using mesh lab, separated the roots, and the trunk or trunks, there are two, a lot of unnecessary polys in the trunks I feel.
    Then in wings 3d used its great un-triangulate feature, it retains the uv map, but have a problem with the branches, wings will not cope with them :) they had 22 faces with a size of 0 indicated by meshlab,.. removed but still no luck.

trunk.png
    340 x 878 - 25K
    edited December 1969

Mermaid: Yes, some of them are rather large downloads and the server does seem a bit slow.
    Some of them are a lot smaller download files though, so hang with it.

As to what to recommend... Like Chohole says, it's all down to what you want to use them for.
    But some of the ones I downloaded (I haven't tried most of them yet as I've been busy with other non Bryce stuff again) are listed with the file size here:
    EA09 Liriodendron Tulipifera Tuliptree - 23.9mb
    SH02 Cornus mas - 11.6mb
    PR01 Alethopteris serli - 11.6mb
    FR10 Mango Tree - 32.5mb
    BS17 Kanzan Cherry - 25.3mb
    BL15 Weeping Willow - 32.7mb

I tried the Weeping Willow, it has a lot of transparency due to the leaves and takes an age to render, but looks superb.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Dave, I will start with these, starting with the Weeping Willows and see how they go.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm only seeing some of 150 listed on the page. Where do I find the rest (or are they counting the different ages of each plant, and I really am seeing them all? Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking any.)

edited December 1969

3D Plants Volume 2 has 9 plants and each one has 9 variations, usually from young to adult. Volume 1 has 23 plants and each plant has 3 variations: a, m and y (adult, midlife, young), flowers have 1, 2, 3. All have also 2D billboards.

edited June 2013

I did finally get downloads to work, so it looks like it was just server load if anyone else was running into the same problem. Also, there are other plants that are free that don't show up on that list so if anyone has the time and interest they may want to go through the list of plants to find others that are $0 that they may be interested in.

For anyone that doesn't already know it, these have VUE and Terragen versions also, forget if they have Bryce versions. I got the VUE and Obj versions myself as I plan on using VUE (free version) for doing backgrounds and skydomes. (Just remembered, free version might have size limit that might prevent this... have to double check.)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

A quick question, do I need to change the transparency for the flowers too, or only the leaves, take for example the Bonsai tree.

edited June 2013

I wanted to have the middle aged London Plain tree a little more manageable, so decided to split it up. Using mesh lab, separated the roots, and the trunk or trunks, there are two, a lot of unnecessary polys in the trunks I feel.
    Then in wings 3d used its great un-triangulate feature, it retains the uv map, but have a problem with the branches, wings will not cope with them :) they had 22 faces with a size of 0 indicated by meshlab,.. removed but still no luck.

Yes I was looking at the meshes for them and also thought they were a bit old school (meaning not optimized.) I'm definitely not complaining about free, but plants and trees are something that need a major overhaul in how they are created in optimized imo. The same goes for the textures on them. I'm not sure of what change needs to be made yet, maybe ptex... but whatever it is, if one wants to have a single plant span from near to far...

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - yes. All leaves must have transparency set. Trunk, stem, branches, twigs and the like not. You'll see it from the alpha map of the texture in the mat lab (centre one). If that part is fully white, nothing has to be done.

edited December 1969

Thanks Horo for the help