Xfrog plants for free (limited time offer)

c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hi every one!

Just to let you know that Xfrog is offering 150 high quality plant models totally free.

You can download those plants here in differents formats like .obj .3ds etc.. :

http://xfrog.com/category/samples.html

Comments

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

I am going to grab some and maybe learn a little more about modelling plants I see they have a NZ flax plant in the offer but alas it is a 2D version, I have got one on ice here, I must get back to it.
    Thanks.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that, off to see what is on offer. :coolsmile:

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,514
    edited December 1969

Cool! Thanks Marco. I'll see if I can manage a bit of time to grab myself a bundle.

• Ricky_HensonRicky_Henson Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

c-ram said:
    Hi every one!

Just to let you know that Xfrog is offering 150 high quality plant models totally free.

You can download those plants here in differents formats like .obj .3ds etc.. :

http://xfrog.com/category/samples.html

Thanks for the heads up. I've got loads of trees for Bryce but hardly any for VUE. now I do :)

• Ricky_HensonRicky_Henson Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Man their servers are being hammered right now lol

edited May 2013

Ooh, do share, where did you find all the trees for Bryce. I search high and Low for more trees to use in front of all my Bryce native trees for close ups.

And yes I downloaded some earlier and was getting a very slow DL rate, instead of my normal simply slow rate.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

I wish I could sign in
    forgot my password if I had one
    it sent an email apparently to my login name address but it looks like that might have been my closed hotmail account

• edited May 2013

http://www.daz3d.com/clay-s-tree-presets

http://www.daz3d.com/clay-s-tree-presets-2

http://www.daz3d.com/xfrog-plant-sampler-1

http://www.daz3d.com/xfrog-plant-sampler-2

http://www.daz3d.com/xfrog-plant-sampler-3

their is a lot of trees in these bundles it takes a while to organize them

I singed in with my old account with my other post lol this is my real one

Post edited by Zandor The Dragon on
    edited December 1969

If those links were for me, I can make my own Bryce tree recipes, but I tend to only use Bryce trees as part of the background, not as forefront of the images I make. The Xfrog samplers have far too many plants and trees that would not fit in the sort of landscapes I normally do. I have looked at them many times in the past, and then passed on.

But thanks for the links

• aliendoughnutaliendoughnut Posts: 40
    edited December 1969

can anyone explain how these files work? i wanted to use these in bryce when i expand the file the folder is full of different files i was expecting just an object to import ...I downloaded as object?

edited May 2013

I presume you get something like this. the tif files are the textures. The mtl is the material data. Import the OBJ file. You have 3 different variations of the tree, well this one does anyway.

I found that you need to go into the mat lab for the leaves and set the transparency, as it is not applied.

I am not certain what the xfr files are, I ignore those.

The billboards are 2d versions. The perspectives appear to be something similar.

xfrog_unzipped.jpg
    580 x 452 - 114K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

can anyone explain how these files work? i wanted to use these in bryce when i expand the file the folder is full of different files i was expecting just an object to import ...I downloaded as object?

Open your Bryce scene and in the file menu, use "Import Object".
    Navigate to where the downloaded files were saved and choose any of the .obj files in which ever tree folder you want to import from.

For some reason the trees (I have downloaded today) are all importing into Bryce on their side, so you then need to flip them 90° and as Chohole says set the correct transparency for the leaves. To do this, use the direct select menu (it's a little downwards pointing triangle on the bottom right row of the main viewport) and select "Select Meshes". This gives you all the individual mesh components which when you clck them in the list will select the individual mesh objects for you. When you find the one with the leaves, you then need to select the Mat Lab 'M' button in the object's little floating sub menu and put the blob in channel A of the Transparency row (note: not the Transparent but the Transparency), then from the Material Options menu (little downward pointing triangle to the left of the little mini preview boxes down the right hand side) change the setting from Normal to Blend Transparency and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

@ c-ram: I'm loving the freebie treebies by the way. Many thanks for these.
    The Bonsai Tree is looking especially good.

LittleTree.jpg
    650 x 650 - 214K
    edited December 1969

And I like the real trees. This is the three plane trees.

plane_trees.jpg
    900 x 675 - 124K
    edited December 1969

Yes indeed, they all look really great don't they.
    Have you seen how long the weeping willow takes to render though. :gulp:
    At lowest settings with TA, it was telling me 45 minutes. The Bonsai at lowest setting was 3 minutes.

I've spent most of this afternoon downloading, importing, fixing transparency and setting up an X-Frog sub library... Then I got sidetracked with the bonsai hence the resulting render. :)

edited December 1969

Well I did notice that the textures for the leaves are very high res really. the plane leaf is 1024 pixels. Not sure if it really needs a texture quite that big for each leaf. I may end up resizing the leaf textures see if that renders quicker, this one seemed to take forever to get there.

The front tree has 40,000 polys of leaves, and 2 different texture maps.

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

Y'all may already know this (and it's busted on the Mac) but you used to be able to resize image textures inside Bryce.

Open the Pict editor and Copy the image.
    At upper right hit the New button and select a resolution from the popup.
    Paste the image into the New slot, which resizes it.
    Copy that resized image and paste over the original image (so you can keep the original ME values).
    Erase the new slot.

Again this may be busted on the PC as well but it is a little easier then using an external paint program.

edited December 1969

Yes dan, reducing the texture sizes is good in principle but us Mac users aren't going to find it easy which ever way we try.
    Doing it through Photoshop or other picture editor is a pain too as you already know as the resulting texture then has to be applied to a primitive in another 3D app and imported in as an .obj, or involves opening up Bryce 6 and importing the pic into that...

For my bonsai on the previous page, I substituted the leaf and bark tex images for Bryce procedurals (OK I substituted all the image textures for Bryce procedurals, it's what I do). Still the transparency mask on the leaves has an impact on render times.

Not that I'm complaining, these trees are treemendous and I'm looking forward to finding some more time to kick the others into shape in my presets library.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 868
    edited December 1969

Thanks a lot c-ram for the information.

Unfortunately I can't even unpack the RAR-archive. I always get an error, that there is the wrong content. Maybe somebody has a hint, what I am doing wrong? I am using Winrar 4.2 and Windows 7. I downloaded the OBJ and the 3DS.

edited December 1969

I just double clicked on the icon in my donwloads. got the first screen clikcked to extract to, found the temp folder I wantted to put it in and clciked OK

using_winrar_2.jpg
    721 x 625 - 179K
    using_winrar_1.jpg
    721 x 625 - 139K
  • TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

Maybe a broken file download Electro, I only use 7zip and all seem ok here.
    http://www.7-zip.org/

edited December 1969

@c-ram - thank you for that! Perhaps I'll manage to get a few of them into Bryce.

@electro-elvis - I'm using Total Commander http://www.ghisler.com/ to extract such files. They appear like a folder. I use it since Win 3.1.

@dan whiteside - I didn't know that. Got to experiment with it.

edited December 1969

@Dan - no, doesn't work on the PC. The image is not re-sized. I should see a difference from a 4k x 4x image to a 16x16 but I can still read the text (tested with the Parkside Box Car by Jack Tomalin).

edited December 1969

I tried it and actually got a larger files size for the file with the supposedly converted images than I did for the orginal, maybe because I converted the alpha maps separately

edited December 1969

Well, I'm either do it completely wrong or it hasn't even worked on Bryce 4 for the PC.

• edited May 2013

I downloaded 31 of them. Some zips had 3 or 4 versions of the same tree. :-) I've been playing with them all day. Now I need to make a scene and do a render. lol %-P Playing with the content is all most as fun as using them. lol

Post edited by Zandor The Dragon on
  • KyricusKyricus Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

I downloaded a lot of them too. Spent a lot of time looking at each and seeing what they were. I have an idea for a flower box arrangement I'm going to try.

There's some very nice detail here!

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 868
    edited December 1969

@chohole, Tapioca Tundra and Horo: Thanks for the information about unzipping. I could unzip a rar-archive with Winzip. BTW TotalCommander i do remember, but have not used it since a long time. I didn't know that it can unzipping as well.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

I'm not getting any dl available... keeps timing out.

edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    I'm not getting any dl available... keeps timing out.

I think the server may be being hammered.
    The other day when I was downloading it was taking a long long time, but it didn't disconnect.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the response. I guess only solution is to wait a bit and keep trying. I noticed the texture size re: cho mentioned on some xfrog stuff I had before and had planned on reducing some of them to see what effect it had on render time.