DAZ Monster and Creature Render Contest

Comments

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited July 2013

I finally tried my luck in creating a battle scene - "At the Heart of Darkness". I used Genesis, M5, D5, V4, Anubis, Creature Creator Bundle and MilDragon. I also created three custom characters by changing Genesis sliders also known as dials. I used Ghastly's handy dog as a base for the canine beast, a tree from Jardin Des Nymphs to make the tribal idol and Creature Creator Bundle, Nishta and Andrea for the forest spirit. She's green on purpose as this colour is traditionally linked with hope. On the other hand, evil creatures are dark and red - just because those colours are connected with evil and often perceived as malevolent. That's also why the Anubises are left-handed ;). What's more, the went for a "moving" angle, because it makes the viewer feel as if he or she was actually falling on the ground while watching the battle. The fighters are tumbling everywhere...

I don't have skeletons, so I happily used stock images courtesy of Dragon-Breath (retired), Stiks1969 and Cheyenne75. Stiks has already retired and Cheyenne takes care of their stocks now. The background is hers too (I love the fire). The flame coming out of the dragon's mouth was created by DbSzabo1 - he has many cool brushes like this. Thank you so much guys!

As the contest's rules demand quite small images, I can show a bigger resolution on demand after the competition's over. To show my customized characters, I'm attaching their renders after the real entry. You can also see another photomanipulation with the spirit here.

Background by Cheyenne75
    Fire by DbSzabo1
    Sitting skeleton by Dragon-Breath
    Laying skeleton by Stiks1969 and Cheyenne75

The_thing_final.png
    1051 x 880 - 383K
    tribal_idol.png
    1000 x 1247 - 799K
    Willow_big.png
    1000 x 1247 - 324K
    At_the_Heart_of_Darkness.JPG
    797 x 801 - 95K
    Post edited by cecilia.robinson on
  • LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

Figure: Genesis
    Title: Kreepy Klown
    Morphs Used: Undead Fiend, Skullcrusher Ogre, Genesis Creature Creator, Genesis Evolution, F5, M5
    Render: Poser Pro 2014
    Post Work: Paint Shop Pro X5 ( minor post work)

Who wants to play a game with Kreepy Klown?

Kreepy-Klown.jpg
    800 x 800 - 90K
  • Swawa3DSwawa3D Posts: 231
    edited July 2013

Title: The Search for Spike
    Software: DAZ Studio 4.6 & Photoshop
    Monster Morphs: Skullcrusher Ogre, Infernal Behemoth, Abominable, Freak 5, Mr Hyde, Undead Fiend, Muck, Dental Plan
    Post Work: minor color correction & touch ups, added the webs, drool & flames.

Other Content Used: Atmospheric Effects Cameras, Skies of Economy, Crypta Sepultus, DMs Kapelle (candle), Millennium Dragon 2 Hatchling, Enamore Mage, Gwenith Hair, Fabricator, Supersuit (shaders), Various Genesis Morphs, Julie, Taiga, Chibi Girl, Kimberly, Sadie, Satsuki, Shape Shift, Lorella the Elf Maiden (skin), Ron's Brushes.

There have been a lot of nice entries. "Undead Donuts" is so ridiculous, I love it!

the-search-for-spike-by-swawa3d.jpg
    800 x 500 - 356K
    Post edited by Swawa3D on
    edited December 1969

it was interesting working with Genesis for s change. I don't usually use Genesis unless I absolutely have to. I learned a lot about working with it from this contest.

• simulacraftsimulacraft Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

This has been a fun challenge. Here's my go at it:

1. Figure used - main figure is Genesis with a bit of Skullcrusher Ogre, Mountain Troll, Creature Creator morphs and Kuril, with a couple of Four Arms
    2. Image Title - Mountain Melee
    3. Software Used to Create the Image - Daz Studio 4.6 render, no postwork

Mountain_fight_3.jpg
    800 x 432 - 268K
  • BrumitDBrumitD Posts: 235
    edited December 1969

1. Main figure is Genesis1 using: Genesis Creature Creator Bundle morphs, Rawart's TyRex, Midnight Stories Genesis Sabbatic Goat glowing eye texture, Valandar's Reptillian for Genesis, and Mr.Hyde

2. Title:Hall Monitor Raptor

3.Software used DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro

monstercharge1fsa.jpg
    742 x 800 - 264K
  • JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,700
    edited December 1969

Really nice work Swana and LycanthropeX

• Swawa3DSwawa3D Posts: 231
    edited December 1969

@ LycanthropeX: I love your Kreepy Klown. Do you think you might use genesis a bit more now after this?

@JoeQuick: thanks!

edited December 1969

Swawa3D said:
    @ LycanthropeX: I love your Kreepy Klown. Do you think you might use genesis a bit more now after this?

I might. Poser Pro 2014 makes using Genesis a bit easier for Poser users. The tools included in PP2014 are amazing. The Fitting Room and new features in the morph tool makes getting clothes to fit Genesis really nice. And the Pixar Sub D is awesome.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Genesis Muck
    Baby Muck wants a Hug
    Daz Studio 4.6

Baby_Muck.jpg
    800 x 800 - 223K
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,341
    edited December 1969

Used
    Garoul
    Lycaon
    Creature Creator morphs
    Skullcrusher Ogre
    Freak 5
    MS Lycan

Texture used Lycaon

Garibaldi for the hair

Daz Studio 4.6
    Minor postwork photoshop 7

Ratmen.

Ratmen-small.jpg
    800 x 566 - 246K
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,054
    edited December 1969

Used
    Garoul
    Lycaon
    Creature Creator morphs
    Skullcrusher Ogre
    Freak 5
    MS Lycan

Texture used Lycaon

Garibaldi for the hair

Daz Studio 4.6

Ratmen.

Oooo. That's cool.
  • RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,811
    edited December 1969

Used
    Garoul
    Lycaon
    Creature Creator morphs
    Skullcrusher Ogre
    Freak 5
    MS Lycan

Texture used Lycaon

Garibaldi for the hair

Daz Studio 4.6

Ratmen.

wow!
    (I have plans to make ratmen....so it may be easier for you next time ;) )

Rawn

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,700
    edited December 1969

Used
    Garoul
    Lycaon
    Creature Creator morphs
    Skullcrusher Ogre
    Freak 5
    MS Lycan

Texture used Lycaon

Garibaldi for the hair

Daz Studio 4.6

Ratmen.

Amazing!

edited December 1969

Ohhhhh ratz

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited July 2013

Used
    Garoul
    Lycaon
    Creature Creator morphs
    Skullcrusher Ogre
    Freak 5
    MS Lycan

Texture used Lycaon

Garibaldi for the hair

Daz Studio 4.6

Ratmen.

I think Splinter is losing his zen.

Love it. =)

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,759
    edited December 1969

Morphs Used: Undead Fiend, Skullcrusher Ogre, Genesis Creature Creator, Genesis Evolution, F5, M5

...man, clowns are frightening enough, now I'll never get to sleep.
  • StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Used
    Garoul
    Lycaon
    Creature Creator morphs
    Skullcrusher Ogre
    Freak 5
    MS Lycan

Texture used Lycaon

Garibaldi for the hair

Daz Studio 4.6

Ratmen.

I think Splinter is losing his zen.

Love it. =)

You said it Vaskania. Beautiful work scorpio64dragon!

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited July 2013

Title: The Green Lady Awaits

Content used: V4 Creatura Serpenta (rattlesnake skin, diffuse tinting tweaked), with hair and clothing from Lady Littlefox/Sarsa's Medusa set, and a homebrew face and body using Morphs++, Morphia and Ethnic Morphs. Pose is from Raw's Masters of Horror set, with some tweaking. Victim is a homebrew morph for M4, using Morphus and Morphs++, with Xurge's Barbarian outfit, Valea's Midnight Prince hair, and Calida's ice shader freebie applied and tweaked. Image also uses DM's Legends, Muscleman's That's Amore (basis for M4 pose) and Lantios Day Lights.

Created with: setup and render in DS3A, postworked in Paint.net

MedusaVictimPostworkedSmall.jpg
    603 x 800 - 278K
    Post edited by Odaa on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

The odd thing about me is I have recurring nightmares about evil clowns. Really frightening terrifying nightmares. But in every day waking life I have absolutely no fear of clowns. I rather like clowns. I have often thought it would be kool to be a clown. I really find it odd that when i sleep they scare the crap out of me, but when i am awake i just think they are kool.

Evil clowns do tend to show up in my art quite a bit, i tend to use the memories of my nightmares as inspiration. Even so, while i am awake and doing my art i still have zero fear of clowns, i tend to laugh and have a good time while i am working.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,054
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

The odd thing about me is I have recurring nightmares about evil clowns. Really frightening terrifying nightmares. But in every day waking life I have absolutely no fear of clowns. I rather like clowns. I have often thought it would be kool to be a clown. I really find it odd that when i sleep they scare the crap out of me, but when i am awake i just think they are kool.

Evil clowns do tend to show up in my art quite a bit, i tend to use the memories of my nightmares as inspiration. Even so, while i am awake and doing my art i still have zero fear of clowns, i tend to laugh and have a good time while i am working.
    "Can't sleep, clown will eat me..." - Bart Simpson :D

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

"Can't sleep, clown will eat me..." - Bart Simpson :D

you know that is oddly fitting. Bart obviously had no fear of clowns since he was a fan of Krusty, but i remember him saying that in an episode once.

edited December 1969

BTW I just got to say Neftis3D's Beautiful Black HairStyles worked great for the clown's hair. I used 3 copies of the hair and squashed and stretched and resized them as needed to do what i wanted, but it really makes great curly hair for clown characters. I used the grey hair mat pose and then just changed the diffuse color to green to get the color. This is the third time i have used it for clown hair and i really like the results i get with it.

Also a big shout out to RawArt, his clown clan skins are awesome!!! I also used ape world for the eyes.

The texture for the teeth was Mec4D's homoerectus, I like the look because it adds an extra beastly creepy factor.

The nose is just a sphere primitive with a diffuse color and specularity added.

There was no post work required to achieve the look of the clown character, the only thing i did was added some drool using Ron's Slime brushes. The rest of the post work was just various filters in Paint Shop Pro X5.

I'm used to painting a good portion of my creatures and monsters. I really enjoy post work and I feel I can do things in post that just can't be done in a straight render. That said I was really amazed at just how far I could push things with the Genesis figure in Poser. This is my most dramatic dial spun character with Genesis yet. It really surprised me that i could achieve a lot of the look I would normally do in post with just spinning dials. I would still love to get in and much about with the character in post, but i can see with Genesis that I can now do a lot less in post and more right in poser.

I have not been a huge fan of Genesis, and really this is the first time I have had a lot of positive things to say about the figure. There are still things that bug me with Genesis, but I am warming up to the figure more than I ever thought I would. The new features in Poser Pro 2014 combined with the Genesis figure really go a long way to making this a more usable figure for Poser users.

• millighostmillighost Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

Title: Three Ogres meet the painter fairy
    Used: 3 Skullcrusher Ogre, Sadie for Genesis, Elven Dress.
    Software: DAZStudio 4, 3dcoat (tex paint), Blender (grass & compositing)

painter-fairy.jpg
    800 x 600 - 347K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,759
    edited December 1969

BTW I just got to say Neftis3D's Beautiful Black HairStyles worked great for the clown's hair. I used 3 copies of the hair and squashed and stretched and resized them as needed to do what i wanted, but it really makes great curly hair for clown characters. I used the grey hair mat pose and then just changed the diffuse color to green to get the color. This is the third time i have used it for clown hair and i really like the results i get with it.

Also a big shout out to RawArt, his clown clan skins are awesome!!! I also used ape world for the eyes.

The texture for the teeth was Mec4D's homoerectus, I like the look because it adds an extra beastly creepy factor.

The nose is just a sphere primitive with a diffuse color and specularity added.

There was no post work required to achieve the look of the clown character, the only thing i did was added some drool using Ron's Slime brushes. The rest of the post work was just various filters in Paint Shop Pro X5.

I'm used to painting a good portion of my creatures and monsters. I really enjoy post work and I feel I can do things in post that just can't be done in a straight render. That said I was really amazed at just how far I could push things with the Genesis figure in Poser. This is my most dramatic dial spun character with Genesis yet. It really surprised me that i could achieve a lot of the look I would normally do in post with just spinning dials. I would still love to get in and much about with the character in post, but i can see with Genesis that I can now do a lot less in post and more right in poser.

I have not been a huge fan of Genesis, and really this is the first time I have had a lot of positive things to say about the figure. There are still things that bug me with Genesis, but I am warming up to the figure more than I ever thought I would. The new features in Poser Pro 2014 combined with the Genesis figure really go a long way to making this a more usable figure for Poser users.

...you did an incredible job with this.
    edited December 1969

Title: Three Ogres meet the painter fairy
    Used: 3 Skullcrusher Ogre, Sadie for Genesis, Elven Dress.
    Software: DAZStudio 4, 3dcoat (tex paint), Blender (grass & compositing)

I love this. :)

• KrewKrew Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

This is fun :-)

1. Figure used: The Zombie by Sequestrian, shaunahowell, and KKeeleArt
    2. Image Title: RUUUUUUN!!!!
    3. Software Used to Create the Image: Poser 2014 with OctaneRenderer for Poser Plugin
    4. Postwork: None

Ruuuuuun.jpg
    800 x 500 - 277K
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Krew said:
    This is fun :-)

1. Figure used: The Zombie by Sequestrian, shaunahowell, and KKeeleArt
    2. Image Title: RUUUUUUN!!!!
    3. Software Used to Create the Image: Poser 2014 with OctaneRenderer for Poser Plugin
    4. Postwork: None

Lol. Reminds me of the saying, "I don't have to be fast, just faster than you."

• KrewKrew Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:

LOL! I hope they're all good runners!

edited December 1969

Krew said:
    Vaskania said:

LOL! I hope they're all good runners!

Kind of reminds me of the end of Scooby Doo episodes, whenever they are all running from the bad guy back and forth, in and out of doors and hallways. I like it. :)