E-on The Plant Factory

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,326
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the link to the tutorials and the tips about flower creation, thd777.

• thd777thd777 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

No problem. Here is a super quick 1 minute example for what I meant for the flower construction:

Ciao
    TD

Flower.jpg
    827 x 948 - 67K
  • M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited June 2013

thd777 said:
    One can also grow stuff on DAZ Figures...

O.O... that's the sort of thing they should have on their promo page! (the image)
    Post edited by M F M on
  • Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

thd777 said:
    One can also grow stuff on DAZ Figures...

TD

Urge to buy rising.

edited December 1969

I am slowly getting the hang of The Plant Factory. Here are a couple of "proper" renders with models prepared in TPF. The models were exported as .obj and rendered in Vue 11.5

Ciao
    TD

Virus.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 280K
    Assimilated.jpg
    1080 x 1440 - 258K
  • agami19agami19 Posts: 4
    edited July 2013

Hi ,

Does anybody have C3D export working in your version of TPF ?
    I wonder how it is going to work with C3D export and sales.

If you export a plant into C3D format, can you load it into TPF ?

Do you know how much money they take from your sales on C3D when selling TPF plants there ?

Post edited by agami19 on
    edited December 1969

According to announcement listed in "Plant Factory – Product Lineup, Pricing and Pre-Release"
    http://www.theplantfactory-tech.com/index.php?post/2013/06/03/Plant-Factory-–-Product-Lineup,-Pricing-and-Pre-Release
    the creator will receive 70% and Cornucopia 3D 30% of the price when selling TPF plants via them.

edited December 1969

As Artini says, the C3D split is 70/30. As to the format, there is no such thing as a C3D format. For selling at C3D you export from Plant Factory as Vue Species (.tpf for plants that vary in eco systems and react to wind) or as mesh object for static plants (.vob, .obj, ...). That works fine in the latest pre-release version of TPF.
    Ciao
    TD

• IgnisSerpentusIgnisSerpentus Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

I hadnt seen it til now. Hm... very interesting. Since I just upgraded to Vue 11, I may have to get this eventually. Tho, I honestly don't know how many plants Id do commercially lol but having the option there is always nice.

edited December 1969

thd777 said:
    As Artini says, the C3D split is 70/30. As to the format, there is no such thing as a C3D format. For selling at C3D you export from Plant Factory as Vue Species (.tpf for plants that vary in eco systems and react to wind) or as mesh object for static plants (.vob, .obj, ...). That works fine in the latest pre-release version of TPF.
    Ciao
    TD

THD777, have you tried to submit such TPF saves files to C3D ? Have they accepted them ?

Form what I learned, e-on claims absolute monopole on models you create with TPF.
    The model you create, you can't share it with anyone, you can't sell it to anyone without e-on consent.
    e-on's owned Cornucopia 3D shop is the only place where you can try to submit your models for sales.
    But in order to be able to submit models for sales on Cornucopia , you must have C3D export activated, and save files as 3DS files.
    And it seems that now, no one has it. It is grayed in File/Export - Check the image in attachment.

If anybody has this feature activated, could you tell about it ?
    Does it work? What is the size of C3D files when compared to TPF files ?

Export_for_C3D_shop.jpg
    294 x 237 - 41K
    edited December 1969

agami19 said:

THD777, have you tried to submit such TPF saves files to C3D ? Have they accepted them ?

Form what I learned, e-on claims absolute monopole on models you create with TPF.
    The model you create, you can't share it with anyone, you can't sell it to anyone without e-on consent.
    e-on's owned Cornucopia 3D shop is the only place where you can try to submit your models for sales.
    But in order to be able to submit models for sales on Cornucopia , you must have C3D export activated, and save files as 3DS files.
    And it seems that now, no one has it. It is grayed in File/Export - Check the image in attachment.

If anybody has this feature activated, could you tell about it ?
    Does it work? What is the size of C3D files when compared to TPF files ?

The export for Cornucopia3D is not available yet. It might come in a new pre-release or more likely in the final version that is due this month.
    As far as I know the C3D export uses .tpf files rather than a specific format, however, it will include some sort of lock/copyright protection mechanism. C3D has not started to accept/sell items made with TPF yet as far as I know. Which makes sense as the program is not final yet.
    If you need an official response, I would post in the TPF forums at e-on, Steve Bell from e-on has been pretty good in answering questions.
    I have no intention to sell or distribute any of the plants I make, they are for my own use only.
    Ciao
    TD

edited December 1969

Steve Bell

:-D LOL !

edited September 2013

Private Learning Edtion released http://www.plantfactory-tech.com/overview/

Will have to give it a go now. Still doubt I'll be able to justify the $495 for the Designer version though - does seem to be pretty good value when compared to the other versions that are either too expensive, or the cheaper versions with ridiculous feature restrictions.

As usual, I put a blog post up about it. No information you can't get from the E-on though, so it's just for those out of the loop.

Post edited by Jim_1831252 on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

jimzombie said:
    Private Learning Edtion released http://www.plantfactory-tech.com/overview/

Will have to give it a go now. Still doubt I'll be able to justify the $495 for the Designer version though - does seem to be pretty good value when compared to the other versions that are either too expensive, or the cheaper versions with ridiculous feature restrictions.

As usual, I put a blog post up about it. No information you can't get from the E-on though, so it's just for those out of the loop.

they just release a new version of the PLE - exporting geometry :-( bug

edited December 1969

Hmm? So the bug is fixed, or the bug is new?

edited December 1969

jimzombie said:
    Hmm? So the bug is fixed, or the bug is new?

the bug is fixed in the new version - this is from a email I got .

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054
    edited September 2013

geometry exports indeed very decimated but I have not gotten an animated FBX out in spite of adding wind and checking animation so not sure if enabled.

Doc3.png
    2000 x 1755 - 2M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,105
    edited December 1969

I'm very interested in this discussion!
    I though of plant factory in order to add "easily" some plants in my props. Then I read the license agreement, and I saw that it was not possible to redistribute the content, even the one we create. Here is what I have in the agreement :

"You may not provide content created with the Product to other parties, for free or for a fee, including but not limited to content created by you, either in the native Product format or in any other computer graphics format (such as but not by way of limitation .VOB .VUE .OBJ, .3DS, .FBX) under any circumstances. You may, however, use such content in the other computer graphics programs in your facility to create images and animations provided that the images and animations produced are not used to create content files (for instance but not by way of limitation 2D billboards, picture tubes, or alpha background planes) for distribution or sale. Notwithstanding the above, you may provide content created with the Product to a third party exclusively under the conditions that (i) you and said third party each own at least one license of the Producer version of the Product, (ii) the content is only exchanged under the native Plant Factory Producer .TPFP format and (iii) the content is not made publicly available, for free or for a fee."

Full agreement is here :
    http://www.e-onsoftware.com/wiki/ThePlantFactory/index.php/Documentation/License

So do any of you have a clue about the possibility to include PF trees made by ourselves in DAZ or poser props?

edited December 1969

well no

you can do renders though if not selling them

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited December 1969

Just download the PLE version which says it deletes 1 in 5 polygons, bugger.
    Maybe I'll just use tree[d]

edited December 1969

it rendered in the program animated

tree.gif
    320 x 240 - 1M
    edited September 2013

...You may not provide content created with the Product to other parties, for free or for a fee, including but not limited to content created by you, either in the native Product format or in any other computer graphics format (such as but not by way of limitation .VOB .VUE .OBJ, .3DS, .FBX) under any circumstances.
    You may, however, use such content in the other computer graphics programs in your facility to create images and animations provided that the images and animations produced are not used to create content files (for instance but not by way of limitation 2D billboards, picture tubes, or alpha background planes) for distribution or sale...

One of the worst license for the graphics programs, I have found so far. I thought, that one can use at least renders commercially or for free.
    So there is no way to use rendered images for any kind of competitions or even post them here in forums without violating the terms.
    How can one guarantee that posted images will not be used to create content files?
    Very sad news...

Post edited by Artini on
  • V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,105
    edited December 1969

I had a look and most of the good tree conception software have the same king of license, except, if I remember well, (but I'm not sure), Xfrog where you can sell stuff under conditions (100% made by yourself if I remember well) - but here again it is not clear.

If it is just for rendering trees, even if I recognize they are magnificent, I don't know how many people will be able to afford such an expensive software without any return of investment possibility.
    I'll just go for the PLE in this case.

edited December 1969

just got the FBX out and working in Carrara 8.5 and DS 4.6
    did 3sec. at 30 frames per .
    looks great .

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    just got the FBX out and working in Carrara 8.5 and DS 4.6
    did 3sec. at 30 frames per .
    looks great .

got over to iClone 5.5 too .

edited December 1969

yeah yeah I forgot to click the bone box

tree.gif
    460 x 259 - 1M
  • RiffulRifful Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I think I had a heart attack when I saw the pricing.

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but there's a free iPad app called Treesketch that exports to .obj and .fbx. I haven't used it because I don't own an iPad, but it looks amazing from the demo video I saw.

• IgnisSerpentusIgnisSerpentus Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

Bummer that its restricted to only being able to be sold on cornucopia. As someone throwing down that sort of expense, I kind of expect a commercial capability. That just lost them a big sale.

edited December 1969

Artini said:
    One of the worst license for the graphics programs, I have found so far. I thought, that one can use at least renders commercially or for free.
    So there is no way to use rendered images for any kind of competitions or even post them here in forums without violating the terms.
    How can one guarantee that posted images will not be used to create content files?
    Very sad news...

I wouldn't worry too much. Billboards are specifically used to replace geometry in a render, so instead of having tree models, you'd have trees sitting on a "card" or "billboard". That's pretty specific usage. I doubt they would be able to limit the commercial redistribution of stock backgrounds that contained TPF objects. That would make the redistribution of the related files through Cornucopia unreasonably restricted. As long as you aren't creating props from the content (2D or 3D) then you should be fine.

edited December 1969

Kadix said:
    I had a look and most of the good tree conception software have the same king of license, except, if I remember well, (but I'm not sure), Xfrog where you can sell stuff under conditions (100% made by yourself if I remember well) - but here again it is not clear.

If it is just for rendering trees, even if I recognize they are magnificent, I don't know how many people will be able to afford such an expensive software without any return of investment possibility.
    I'll just go for the PLE in this case.

It is pretty ridiculous. If all the content going into the creation of the props is your own then redistribution should be none of eon's business. I don't actually remember reading that in the Xfrog licencing though. It sucks that the only redistribution avenue is through Cornucopia. Hmm, I don't see how they could prove you used TPF if all the assets used in the production were your own though.