BRYCE vs VUE Esprit

SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I've been using VUE Esprit but the scenery it creates seems slightly cartoony. Perhaps I'm just not good enough to use it successfully? I've been looking at Bryce and the products available for it. The Bryce landscapes seen more realistic to my eyes. Compared to VUE is Bryce very difficult to learn? How easy is it to exchange Bryce content with DAZ Studio and Carrara?

Comments

• silk_99cfbbf5d0silk_99cfbbf5d0 Posts: 38
    edited December 1969

Both Vue and Bryce are capable of creating cartoonish or hyper realistic images. It comes down to the quality of the texture and its resolution, the lighting in the scene, the rendering settings from anti-aliasing to resolution. Even the colors used for the objects can play a role. I am sure I have left something out as well.
    You could think you hit all the key areas and rendered all night long, and the mind will still notice that something is not quite right without knowing what the issue is.
    All I can say is practice, practice, practice.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,255
    edited December 1969

Superdog said:
    I've been using VUE Esprit but the scenery it creates seems slightly cartoony. Perhaps I'm just not good enough to use it successfully? I've been looking at Bryce and the products available for it. The Bryce landscapes seen more realistic to my eyes. Compared to VUE is Bryce very difficult to learn? How easy is it to exchange Bryce content with DAZ Studio and Carrara?

To create realistic scenes in Bryce (and that's true for any other 3D applications as well) is to know how it works and what the options are. There are a lot of free videos and tutorials available for Bryce that help to get acquainted to the program.

Bryce can export to the OBJ format (among others) and these can be imported in other programs like Studio and Carrara. For Studio, there is a Bridge to send parts of the scene to Studio and to get content made for Studio and Poser into Bryce. The Bridge is quite good but not always flawless. Bryce mostly uses procedural textures for the materials applied to the objects while other use picture based UV-maps. So there is some automatic conversion between the two and the result is not always as good as expected, though in most cases it works quite fine.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Superdog said:

You will find in the list under my name, http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials.html some tutorials relating to exporting and importing, I've been doing this to see what hurdles stand in the way of getting scenes easily from Bryce to Octane for final rendering. So to some extent this process has uncovered much of what is involved in sending stuff to DS.

This is the playlist for just the Bryce to Octane experiments. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL790l24c49DQpAyjII0vItDKeHSVkDV_M Although there are other more basic tutorials that lead up to this in the list, that is essentially cutting to the chase.

• SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the feedback and advice. I'll spend more time working with both Bryce and VUE until I'm proficient enough to make a proper comparison.