a LiL side render challenge: theme Delicious

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited May 2018

Not an entry. An old cheesecake model I made for an earlier challenge entry: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/679674/#Comment_679674

cheesecake.jpg
    600 x 450 - 33K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,411
    th3Digit said:
    head wax said:

wow this is a terrific thread I am giving a Gold Star to Alberto and Philmeno :)

Stezza's is healthier

But, but , mine is low fat yogurt!, and has stevia instead sugar, and chocolate contains antioxidants... and it has a tomato cherry!

laugh

Alberto said:

Really nice look. My only quibble is the cherry. I think you need either translucency or sub surface scattering.

Thank you. Indeed, I applied SSS and some transparency... Maybe the light is too intense. It looks more like a tomato cherry. smiley

Along with the small amount transparency try translucency. Also, if you are using transparency, try adding a small amount of refraction and Freznel to the transparency.

Finally, I took out the transparency. I applied translucency with SSS with high Fresnel effect and more light on the cherry.

icecream3d.png
    1440 x 1080 - 1M
    Alberto said:
    Alberto said:

Really nice look. My only quibble is the cherry. I think you need either translucency or sub surface scattering.

Thank you. Indeed, I applied SSS and some transparency... Maybe the light is too intense. It looks more like a tomato cherry. smiley

Along with the small amount transparency try translucency. Also, if you are using transparency, try adding a small amount of refraction and Freznel to the transparency.

Finally, I took out the transparency. I applied translucency with SSS with high Fresnel effect and more light on the cherry.

That looks fantastic!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    Alberto said:
    th3Digit said:
    head wax said:

wow this is a terrific thread I am giving a Gold Star to Alberto and Philmeno :)

Stezza's is healthier

But, but , mine is low fat yogurt!, and has stevia instead sugar, and chocolate contains antioxidants... and it has a tomato cherry!

laugh

lol

awesome laugh

edited June 2018

peer pressure!

Yummo.png
    640 x 480 - 193K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited March 2021

edited June 2018
    Stezza said:

peer pressure!

Goodbye, healthy meals ! laugh

Post edited by Alberto on
    Alberto said:
    Alberto said:

That looks fantastic!

Thank you for your advice!

edited March 2021

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

omg looks yummi.

delicioso pron is working too, my glucometer reading is going down.

tee hee heee guess what, the pc club june challenge is delicacies 

Selina said:

Added a fake flake and some glint for good measure...

The Carrara file consists of...

OBJECTS:

1. An HDRi image set as Sky Light - (that's the glow in the background you can see)
    2. Three bulbs to create two rim lights and one fill light
    3. One Cone split and remodelled in Carrara for the base
    4. Four metaball shapes converted to obj and 'displace' painted for the ice-cream
    5. One fluidos object converted to obj and imported as syrup
    6. Two identical vertex planes, waved to form a fake flake

The procedural shaders are my own creations and I used a lot of mixers to blend colours and introduce noise for effect. For example in the syrup shader, I have used noise to introduce the odd black spot to give the impression of rasberry / strawberry seeds floating in the sugary jam and a second noise to introduce colour variance in the SSS channel. The bump channel was used heavily for the cone to get the pattern and holes when lit from the side. I might revisit this and change it to a displacement map, then I could use 'Anything Goos' to introduce more burnt bits to make the cone look more natural (I think it looks a little like caramel polystyrene at the moment - laugh)

The Flake shader looked wonderful in the shader room, but when rendered there was too much shine and looked ghostly due to the HDRi image, so I had to look to the glow channel to introduce form and shape to define it. Finally, the vanilla shader needed to look 'fluffy' without being fluffy if you know what I mean - so I cheated by adding Glar to the final image render.

Selina

If I may, what are you doing for the syrup? Maybe a touch of absorption and refraction/Freznel would help. You might also want to consider SS for the ice cream.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited June 2018

lots of tasty stuff here,

nice cherries, chocolate sauce and Doughnuts Mmmm.

Selina ,. that's looking good,  so this may sound harsh ,..but,.. i'd reduce the lights,. switch them all off and start with your rim light,. then add in your your key light,. and maybe the hdri

right now, there's no shadow/contrast,.. and with three rim lights, there should be a lil bit :)

especially when you're working with transparency and light absorbent stuff,. keeping the light simple while you work on shaders helps.

Carrara's paradox is that it has a great shader engine and shader functions,. but the preview lighting sucks, because it doesn't use the lights from your main scene.

on HDRI,. they're great at two things,. general scene lighting and reflections,.  the ambient nature of HDRI makes them less than ideal in a photoshoot scene where you want specific direction to the light.

I agree with EP,. on sub surface scattering,. maybe look at translucency/transparency/absorption/index of refraction,. there's some useful IOR settings for sugar solutions.

I like your flake too :)

Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

So I did a quick search for reference images for Oreos and milk. My feed was flooded with anti-cow hysteria.  I get it, many people don’t have the adaptations for adult digestion of cow’s milk. But you know, many of us do.

i miss Socrates and his never ending search for the millennial cow.

great work everyone.  I am salivating. 

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

@Selina: Looks much better. There is still something about the ice cream texture itself that looks a little off. Still, it looks much improved. I wish I could describe it better than that. The syrup looks great! I've been thinking about getting DCG's Fake Freznel shader for years. I just may have to get off my kiester and get it.

Speaking of plugins, I forget who makes it, but if you have it, have you considered Anything Goos for the cone? I think that's the name. The shader detects the edges or creases in the mesh and depending on what you want, can usually be set to add grunge, rust, etc. In this case, maybe it could be used to deliniate the edge of the cone by being slightly darker. If you observe a lot of baked things, the edges get a little more browned. That may be what the doctor ordered for the cone. Perhaps maybe a bit of color variation in the cone itself?

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

Looks great!

looks yummo cheeky

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Great job, Selina.  I need to run to the store now.  Yum. 

edited March 2021

Great final image Selina,. very realistic cone,. and the ice cream is much softer,. the colour on your liquid is nice too,.  for me, the special sauce looks a bit thick (could be ketchup), i don't know if it's just the rough edges on the bottom where it meets the ice cream,. or the transparency, or both, or just me,.    probably just me :)

I also wanted to share a nice thing,.. making Drizzle,.

In the vertex modeller,. if you have an object, like a ball of ice cream, donut or cake,. you can easily add drizzle to that, by using the Curve or Interpolated Curve tools.

If you select the interpolated curve tool and click on the surface of your model,. Carrara will "draw on the surface" ,. this allows you to create a flowing line which follows the surface of your model. you can even span the hole in a donut to create drooping drizzle.

once your happy,. you can create a little square or circle shape,. and use Path Sweep,. to sweep that shape along the curve path.

Fill the poly's at both ends of your drizzle, and add a level of smooth,.

On shaders,. it's always more time consuming to work with transparency/ absorption / sub surface scattering etc,. since they take longer to calculate and  adjust.

it's a good idea to have a simple scene to work on building shaders,. one at a time,. then you can save those to your browser, and apply to your scene.

setting up the transparency, scattering and absorbtion makes a big difference, it just takes a lot longer :) ....more time for cake and coffee.

Creating  lumpy stuff,.

Carrara's surface replicator can be very handy. ,. if you make a couple of lumps/chunks/bits or sprinkles,. you can use a surface replicator to distribute those over your model, and limit them to a specific shading domain, or use the distribution map to create a shader or load a B/W map,.

Carrara uses the hotspot of your chunks to place the objects on the surface,. so you can get half submerged bit's if the hotspot is at the centre of your chunk.

The surface replicator options allow you to distribute hundreds and thousands of your bits with rotation and scaling variations.

If you're making objects in carrara,.(metaball /spline) and want to turn that into a vertex model,. you can go to Edit / Convert to other modeller ,. then select vertex modeller

much easier that export/import as obj

Hope it helps :)

donut drizzle.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 708K
    edited March 2021

reworked cake scene,. added some bit's and pieces.

modeled, textured and rendered in Carrara with OctaneRender for Carrara.

lemony donut1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 588K
    donut focus.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 659K
    edited March 2021

Thanks Selina :)

foreign languages are all dutch to me.

I'll re render with a better label,.  although,. I think white castle is a chicken or burger chain in the states. so maybe not that,.

I've been struggling with the shader for the cake filling,. trying to get a lemon curd transparency is proving tricky.

edited March 2021