Comments

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    Selina said:

Vyusur would that be 'soft' shadows - laugh

Selina

Very soft and subtlesmiley

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Great glasses Selina,.

if you add a bit of fractal noise to the bump channel,. or even better,. a mixer of two values with a fractal noise as the blender,.

you can enable "Transforms" in the fractal noise and then adjust the scale to create longer streak effects,. or short spot type bumps,. you could also mix togethert a couple of noise functons and have areas with different bump or deformations of the glass.

you can make it quite subtle by adjusting the values of the bump

black and white procedural functions such as fractal noise are great for creating grungey type effects

I'm also old enough to remember snickers as Marathon :)

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

Tim Tams smiley

gotta luv 'em

awesome yes

Selina said:

Lovely Stezza - you inspired me wink

Maltesers and Tim Tams

Selina

edited March 2021

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

yep.. been away for our long weekend ... so catch up time now smiley

edited March 2021

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

They look delicious!  Love the bend in the straw.  yes

edited March 2021

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    3DAGE said:

thats' pretty nice selina :)

I can get the shader to look like lemon curd when it's on it's own,. but once i apply it to the cake slice,. it changes because of the different lighting, enclosed in a shell,.. or i get a deep red rather than yellow, ... i think i need to rebuild my cake slice with a more realistic structure,.

anyway,. here's my latest tinkerings .

Hi 3DAGE,  did you want to enter these in the voting thread?

cheers

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    Selina said:

Thanks Diomede, it's all in the shaders, as you know...

I'm certainly enjoying my journey through procedural shaders and starting to look at texture maps... V4.2 doesn't come across into Carrara looking her best !

DEAD DEAD

So, I got rid of the cyan blue multiplier ??? and added a little SSS for good measure... By the way she has been enjoying some of the tasty treats on this thread, the naughty girl!

Selina

I uploaded a procedural skin texture for V4 set to ShareCG a few years ago. It also includes dynamic eyelash and eyebrow hair. The link to the tutorial I followed and expanded on is dead, sorry to say. I couldn't have linked to it here anyway because it had nudity. If you want to poke around the skin texture, it is pretty interesting. I need to crack it open myself again so that I can refresh my memory on what I was doing. It does use two balck and white image maps as distribution shaders only. They are used to soften the edges between the lip/face shading domains, and the nipple/torso shading domains. They do not use SSS, but it easily added.
    https://sharecg.com/v/77436/gallery/7/Material-and-Shader/Carrara-V4-Procedural-Skin-Shader-and-hair

Been busy for the last few days

a final lemon meringue thang

as for entry in the competition,. you guy's go for it,. i'm only havin' fun and enjoying the work you folks are creating. and throwing in stuff

I like modeling and rendering "Stuff",. and i'm glad some other people like what i do,. 

i'd also like to imagine that the winner, or prize money will somehow help end the cruel suffering caused by incorrect shader settings and bad lighting.

but it's probably too much to hope for.

meringue.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 386K

Selina :)

just a note on Filter Forge,. I recently updated 7  which I had as a Stand alone app, since I have an older version of Photoshop , and FF changed support with this new version to keep up with the cloud versions,

I also recently found Affinity photo through a post here from EvilProducer,.

Long story ,..short,. Filter forge 7 works as a plugin in Affinity photo,. as do most other photoshop plugins.

i've also just bought Affinity designer pro,. both are ridiculously cheap for what they are.

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

Selina said:

EP, here's my latest go at tinkering in Carrara with V4.2's shaders - but it still looks like some flat 2D cartoon-drawn creation...

I think the difficulty arises from the eyes, the shading and highlight are completely false using maps - I might visit this in the not too distant future. Here's a breakdown of what I did to improve it [slightly]...

1. Added SSS to skin
    2. Used noise on spec channel for lips
    3. Used a gradient with eye map to add a dark rim around the iris
    4. Added hair and used hair shader in displacement channel to improve texture

These are the 'broad' steps, what I'm not telling you is how I mixed these various elements with gradients or noise to get the effect I wanted or the colours I used in the SSS channel. A quicker way would possible have been to find the offending maps (well map - the eye one) and redraw them (it) in Corel Photoshop myself !

Selina

I think part of the problem is also the image maps. They look like the standard definition maps. Regarding the eyes, there are things you can do to improve them. I always, always, always, ditch the maps with the included reflections. The other thing I do is use the morphs (I thing morphs++) to make the iris convex, and I also increase the cornea bulge. In addition to that, I change the cornea shaders and add refraction and some Freznel, plus I increase the highlight to 200%, and take the shininess to 20-30%.

edited March 2021

edited June 2018
    Selina said:

Thanks for the tips EP, I'll look up what 'I Thing Morphs++' is...

You probably already have them. I believe they come with or came with Carrara. Look in the runtime where you have V4. It would be under poses. 

Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 5.39.22 PM.png
    3566 x 538 - 460K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    Selina said:

Thanks for the tips EP, I'll look up what 'I Thing Morphs++' is...

You probably already have them. I believe they come with or came with Carrara. Look in the runtime where you have V4. It would be under poses. 

https://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-2-morphs

https://www.daz3d.com/v4-elite-bundle

https://www.daz3d.com/she-freak-v4

https://www.daz3d.com/michael-4-morphs

https://www.daz3d.com/m4-elite-body-shapes

https://www.daz3d.com/michael-4-muscle-morphs

https://www.daz3d.com/m4-v4-elite-ethnic-faces-bundle

https://www.daz3d.com/m4-v4-creature-creator-bundle

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

edited June 2018

Looks pretty good. I've not been to active on the computer the last couple days. Mostly just able to lurk a bit. I did do a render with the "elite" Reby Sky Carrara optimized textures. The only thing I changed was the tear, cornea, iris and pupil shader.

Reby skin test.png
    2100 x 1400 - 899K
    edited March 2021

edited June 2018

Hi Selina, you are right about the lighting being the key with shaders. This was a hastily thrown together scene to demonstrate the differences between the standard maps and the high res maps. I was actually going to apply my procedural skin to the same model in the same pose for a comparrison, but I was adding SSS to the skin to be similar to the SSS in the Reby textures when Carrara crashed on me. I had not saved the scene because it was a simple set up for an intellectual excersize. D'oh!

I'm afraid the crease in the elbow you mention has more to do with the V4 geometry and not the texture. It is why people liked the Genesis figures when they came out. The joint bends looked better, more natural.

Great point about the eyes. I generally resize the irises and make them smaller.