Help making BAD weather?

dyretdyret Posts: 182
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I hav'nt used Bryce in a long time due to the MAc issue. But I just installed it on my old PC. I'd like to make a scene with bad weather/dark sky, but keep on getting a overly blue sky. I hav never really seen any Bryce bad weather renders and was wondering if anyone here knew how to or alternatively had any links for this.

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Are you using Bryce 7 Pro?

If so you'll have some extra content from David Brinnen. He supplies several bits and pieces that will allow you to put rain (or even volumetric snow) in your scene. The rest is down to your use of the sky lab.

Here are a few examples of 1. rain and 2. dark clouds.

If this is the kind of thing you're after, let me know and I'll explain in detail.

Ship-in-Storm-ALT.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 211K
    Singin-in-the-rain.jpg
    450 x 600 - 158K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,255
    edited December 1969

There are many strategies. The most important thing is start with a Custom Sky. Soft and darker Sky usually give a purple sky.

CustSky.jpg
    700 x 230 - 28K
  • dyretdyret Posts: 182
    edited July 2013

@TheSavage64: That sky in the lower image is certainly someting like what I had in mind. But I suspect you've used volumetric clouds which is much too hard for my poor old PC. LOL. I am using 7 PRO.

@Horo: I was watching a new video by David Brinnen about lighting where he does exactly that. I guess it'll be lots of fidling with fog, haze and clouds.

Post edited by dyret on
    edited December 1969

dyret said:
    @TheSavage64: That sky in the lower image is certainly someting like what I had in mind. But I suspect you've used volumetric clouds which is much too hard for my poor old PC. LOL.

Yes, it does use volumetric clouds, but it's also a bit hard for my poor old Mac too so I use a neat trick;

Render the clouds at a low quality setting (higher quality settings don't have much effect on clouds), then render the bottom half of the scene only using the "plop render" at a higher quality setting and finally render an object mask. Then comp the two renders together in a photo editor using the rendered mask. This can save hours on render times and comping only takes minutes. :)

You can get similar results using the 'sky lab' and the screen grab Horo has provided will be useful to explain some of the options available if you don't already know... please feel free to ask.

edited December 1969

I'll be using this for what I origninaly bought Bryce for: animation. So I'm not going for realism, but rather something which looks good and renders a bit fast. I used to have a mail from Rashad Carter where he explained his tricks for getting rid of the dreaded white horizon, but that mail got lost years ago. lol

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I did this one, starting with a Bryce sky,rain is squares with a rain tex, built up backwards so there are several layers

I called it Barbecue Knight

BBQ_Knight_2.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 408K
    edited December 1969

I really like that render chohole. I had just about gotten something like that kind of sky, when I had the first "a chrash has occured" lol. After using Studio only for nearly a year I didn't remember exatly HOW often one has to save in Bryce.

edited December 1969

BTW. Love the title. :-)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,255
    edited December 1969

dyret said:
    I'll be using this for what I origninaly bought Bryce for: animation. So I'm not going for realism, but rather something which looks good and renders a bit fast. I used to have a mail from Rashad Carter where he explained his tricks for getting rid of the dreaded white horizon, but that mail got lost years ago. lol

Set cloud height for cumulus at max, even if you don't use the clouds. Switch cumulus on, set cloud height to max and switch them off. This distributes the haze more upwards instead of just a bright line at the horizon. If you're going for animation, you have to optimise for speed. There are strategies for that too, but get the sky sorted out first.

@Pam - free sausages for all :lol:

edited December 1969

dyret said:

Aaaah... different kettle of fish then. Yes, keep it as simple and quick to render as possible. :)
    Be aware of cloud speed and direction in the sky lab. I forget the amount of times I spent hours waiting for a two second clip to render only to find the clouds whizzing across the sky at high speed. :)

edited December 1969

Thanks everyone, I've made a ky which I'm happy with.

edited December 1969

or even a SKY :-)