material help

assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

For some reason, they don't render as how you see them in the preview

Well, even when I apply them, they still don't like like that they are int he preview

Are Bryce 6 and earlier version material not good with Bryce 7?

Or whatever else is the issue?

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited July 2013

It would help if you could post some pictures as examples. Maybe a render and a screen grab of your preview so we can see the differences you are talking about.
    Like in real life, materials will react differently to different lighting set ups and I suspect a lot of it is down to how your scene is lit and what render setting you've used. Another factor that will effect the appearance of materials is the scale you are working to as the frequency will need altering to suit, but it's difficult to diagnose your problem without some example pics.

Earlier versions of Bryce didn't have True Ambience or IBL, but all the materials still work (sometimes with a bit tweaking in the mat lab). In fact the vast majority of the preset materials are from much earlier versions of Bryce.

Hope this helps, please do come back with some more info so we can help more.

Edited to Add: Another thought is that maybe you need to choose the correct mapping mode for the materials. For instance 'World Space' would usually be the most suitable one for terrains (as I notice you recently asked a question about creating terrains), but it may not be (most likely isn't) the most suitable one to apply the material to a prop or a component that will move in an animation.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well, that doesn't explain why...a stone material would render straight blue

I mean...the basic texture should still be there

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

It helps when dealing with a new program to remain positive and not to give up or allow assumptions to make things harder than they should be. Bryce builds landscapes and a landscape can be as small as a backyard or as big as a planet....Bryce can do all of that. So it is quite possible that the presets have no way of knowing what scale you are working on at this particular moment.

But you mentioned the blue thing, and that points to another issue. This is a Bryce 7 issue. Something went screwy in the last development cycle where for Mac users applying images as texture components can cause an error where only the blue channel gets sent to the renderer. This is again only for Mac users, Bryce 7 users, and the material needs to be based on a 2d image. This is a horrible bug. Many of the loyal Mac users have found a workaround. They import the image into Bryce 6 material lab, save the material as a preset that Bryce 7 can then load and read and render without issue. Daz really should have fixed this before release but schedules didn't allow.

If you are not using a Mac however, then the issue above wouldn't apply to you. Whatever the issue however, we are the forum to get the answer I must say there are very few questions that have been posed over the years that we cannot solve to some degree as a community. To help any further I agree with David Savage that we could use a screen shot.

edited December 1969

Well, that doesn't explain why...a stone material would render straight blue
    This is true it doesn't explain your problem, because I have no way of knowing what your problem is from the scant information you have provided. If you can supply some examples, I can help more. If you just want to snipe and whinge, I'll leave you to it.

I mean...the basic texture should still be there

It probably is still there, but without further information, no one is going to be able to help much.
  • assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I just renders as a solid color...there isn't much more to say...oh, at least I can change the color

Even when I apply the material...it's just a solid color.

If I"m lucky, some materials do work and decide to show

edited December 1969

I just renders as a solid color...there isn't much more to say...oh, at least I can change the color

Oh well in that case I know exactly what your problem is.
    Your problem is that it's rendering as a solid colour... Why It's doing that I have no idea because I don't have any information that would give me any clues.

Screen grabs of the Material Lab settings, Render settings, Sky Lab settings would all probably help us to provide you with a solution.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Even when I apply the material...it's just a solid color.

If I"m lucky, some materials do work and decide to show

For example there is a button here that turns the rendering of textures on and off. Have you inadvertently disabled textures in the render engine?

Image1.jpg
    352 x 378 - 53K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Note that the final render will NOT match the Texture Shaded preview. The preview is just a way to get a rough idea of what the scene will look like prior to doing an actual render.
    If you pick some random different material, does it still show up blue as if nothing happened, or does it work? If it works, then we know the problem is somehow related to your material. Try the same thing in a new scene and see if it works then; if so, we know the problem is somehow related to your scene, perhaps the lighting in it.
    If you are on a Windows system, you can capture a screenshot by holding down the Control key while pressing the Print Screen Key. This will make a copy of what is on your screen and put it on the windows clipboard. I don't know what graphics applications you have available (photoshop, gimp, etc), but you should be able to then paste the windows clipboard into a new empty document and save it as a .jpg or .pgn which you can then attach to a post here for us to see. I don't know how to do it on a Mac.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Well I can see that people are trying to help and I can virtually guarantee you the people trying to help will be able to if you provide the info they need. So lets try to get at that info shall we? First let's establish what kind of system you are on and the version of OS. Are you on a PC running Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8? Or are you on a Mac using OSX 10.6 or below. Also what specific material set are you trying to use?

This info is needed because there is not one all encompassing known issue with materials that has a one size fits all solution. There are however specific issues for certain systems and situations. The people trying to help need more info to pinpoint the problem. Now if part of your reluctance to provide what they are asking for is because you don't know how to do screen captures or attach images to a post then please say so. Nobody is going to laugh at you if you don't know how, they will walk you through how to do it.