Ideas about this horse??

TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hello to all; This is the horse 2 ...I took him apart because when he imported with his maps the specularity was set at 100 and he was spotty so I ungrouped and started changing him piece by piece but there are a few parts on his face I am unable to highlight is there a way to change him all at once inside the DTE or the maps...any ideas would be helpful....Thanks in advance ...Trish

horse8.png
664 x 423 - 324K

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Hello to all; This is the horse 2 ...I took him apart because when he imported with his maps the specularity was set at 100 and he was spotty so I ungrouped and started changing him piece by piece but there are a few parts on his face I am unable to highlight is there a way to change him all at once inside the DTE or the maps...any ideas would be helpful....Thanks in advance ...Trish

This is the same problem I have getting models from DS with the DAZ Studio bridge (Which seriously needs fixing DAZ 3D - how many times has DS been "updated" and the bridge remains broken? Well, lots. I know its not been properly fixed for as long as DAZ has had Bryce). The solution is to identify which parts of the model share the same texture components. Link those to different family groups. And then use the family grouping to edit all those components together. If you see what I mean?

So for example, as with Vicky. I use the mesh selection tool at the bottom of the screen to cycle through each mesh in turn. You've seen this control? Looks a bit like an old tape deck forward play and rewind, bottom right hand corner of the interface. Select a mesh, check the material, assign it a family group. Say torso. Then have another for arms and legs. Then some for face and so on. When I've assigned every mesh into a family in which they all share the same mat. I select those by family and modify the mat. This changes all those mats wit the same texture.

It saves a bit of time.

DAZ 3D needs to pull their finger out and fix the bridge. That would save us a lot of time.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2013

Now I am reminded once again why I stick to using Poser and the older figures to get things into Bryce, and use an obj to import into Bryce. :roll:

Post edited by Chohole on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,255
    edited December 1969

It is usually safer to export from Studio as OBJ and import into Bryce than using the unreliable bridge.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

used the bridge - looks OK to me
    what you think ?

1_horse.jpg
    1520 x 862 - 477K
    edited December 1969

Is that the Horse 2 or the original Mill horse. Trish is using Horse 2

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Is that the Horse 2 or the original Mill horse. Trish is using Horse 2

I see - any way I fixed it in DS before using the bridge .

edited December 1969

Yes it does appear that the Gen 4 figures and other figures of that era work better using the bridge than do the newer genesis and similar type models. Horse 2 is built using the same technology as the Genesis figures

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited August 2013

I didn't use the bridge I exported it out of daz as a wavefront obj. I do have to admit that the mane and tail on this horse looks a lot better than the old mill horse......Thanks everyone I may have to invest more into this horse

horse10.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 444K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Interesting that you should say that. It was the mane and tail I thought really let Horse 2 down, I never had too many arguments with the old Mill horse.

dont_fence_me_in.jpg
    576 x 768 - 280K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,255
    edited December 1969

If this is a Bryce render, I'm amazed at the hair. Nice render anyway.

edited December 1969

Yes Bryce and back in 2006, so I no longer have the working file. THere may have been a tad of post work on the hair, I am not sure. I do sometimes brush hair in postwork. It is SP3 and the hair is one I have that only fits Gen 3 figures unfortunately, so I don't use it any more.

http://www.daz3d.com/elita-hair

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Beautiful horse and render....I never got my mane on the mil horse to look that good.

edited December 1969

It's an alternative trans map I got from somewhere.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited August 2013

Great looking horses everyone.

Trish, I also do a lot of what David described whereby you go through every component and assign it a family group. It does take time and can be fiddly, but it pays dividends later if/when you edit the materials (which I nearly always edit the heck out of).

My horse didn't turn out too well (it's just the horse that comes with Poser and as far as I remember, you can't change it's face shape which would have been nice as it's a bit too chunky to be unicorn really). :)

Unicorn.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 166K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

All those horses look nice, well except for Dave saying his didn't look nice.