Hi all. Problems with Bot Genesis.

AngelusPrimeAngelusPrime Posts: 60
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Simply put, it renders all white. I can apply it fine, and it looks fine on preview, but even doing a spot render gives me an all white result. What am I doing wrong?

And blimey.... DS4 is a pain to get around in... Only reason I'm switching is to use the genesis creatures but holy cow... it is just.... mind boggling. Anyhoo, I'd really appreciate any help with Bot Genesis. Thanks!

Comments

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited December 1969

Hi AP (^_^)/,

... currently unable to check, but that sounds like overblown Specular. Have you tried winding down light settings, and/or the Specular settings on the Bot surfaces, to see if it improves?

PS yes DS4 takes awhile to get used to... but there are so many more fun things "under the hood" now :).

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure but I just did a quick test render and it seems to come out fine for me.

The steps I used were:
    1. Load Genesis and dial in a bit of female shape.
    2. Apply the wearable to Genesis (Botgen_All)
    3. Load a preset light set - I used Daz Dimension Lights # 12.
    4. Render

This is what I get. As reflective as it is I can see that if you had a strong white light in your scene it could come out all white.

When I loaded the wearable it was mostly all grey but you could see the blue wiring bits.

BotGenesisTest.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
  • AngelusPrimeAngelusPrime Posts: 60
    edited August 2013

Hi, M F M, :)
    I tried the specular levels, but no luck. Still the same.

Sisca - Attached is what I get. I didn't add any lights, and AFAIK, DS4 doesn't have preview lights like Poser, right?

Bot_Genesis_(2).jpg
    832 x 709 - 177K
    Post edited by AngelusPrime on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,329
    edited December 1969

I tend to find this happens when I've been using DS for a while some shaders then render white.
    Try rebooting DS.

edited December 1969

Hmm...Not sure what's causing it but that's not what I'm seeing. Is it possible some of the materials got corrupted?

Here is what I get after loading Genesis, applying the wearable then applying the various materials. The first is the Quick Mat and the second is the Base Mat.

BotTest2.png
    1000 x 1300 - 718K
    BotTest1.png
    1000 x 1300 - 624K
    edited December 1969

Sisca - what shaders is it set up to use? ... AoA's free subsurface ones?

If so, I wonder if AP has downloaded and installed them... (`.`)...

edited December 1969

M F M said:
    Sisca - what shaders is it set up to use? ... AoA's free subsurface ones?

If so, I wonder if AP has downloaded and installed them... (`.`)...

If I'm reading this right it looks like they're custom
    Surface Tab
    Select Bot_Gen_head
    Select 1_SkinFace
    Shader in the upper left corner says BotFace

There are also others like BotMetal and Chrome for various other bits.

edited August 2013

hmmm... thanks for checking that Sisca (^_^)... while you're there, there are _no_ extra lights (or skydome) in your scene?

oh, and which version of DS are you using? ... there's got to be some simple difference that explains it...

Post edited by M F M on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the replies, guys. I had redownloaded the Bot thinking something got corrupted somewhere, but nothing, still renders white. I have no idea what is happening here.... all the textures load fine, everything looks fine in the surfaces tab.... Not sure at all.

On a sidenote, does DS4 have a Morph Follower function? Please tell me it does!!!

edited August 2013

Thanks for the replies, guys. I had redownloaded the Bot thinking something got corrupted somewhere, but nothing, still renders white. I have no idea what is happening here.... all the textures load fine, everything looks fine in the surfaces tab.... Not sure at all. ...

Anything interesting in the Log after you render it? (Help -> Troubleshooting -> View Log File... or something). Also, are you using the latest public release DS-4.6? (and on your render settings, what's your "maximum bounces" set to?).
    Post edited by M F M on
    edited December 1969

Everything else renders fine though.... I'm still getting around it, but I've managed to crank out renders. It's just this particular character that doesn't render well. The log file says a lot of "Cannot Find Shader". That is starting to shed light on the subject. What shader does it use and should I redownload it?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,434
    edited December 1969

On a sidenote, does DS4 have a Morph Follower function? Please tell me it does!!!

Yes. it's automatic for TriAx figures (Genesis #, the DAZ Horse 2 etc.) and available as the Transfer Active Morphs command for older figures (most readily via the viewport right-click menu).

edited December 1969

M F M said:
    hmmm... thanks for checking that Sisca (^_^)... while you're there, there are _no_ extra lights (or skydome) in your scene?

oh, and which version of DS are you using? ... there's got to be some simple difference that explains it...

On the last 2 renders I posted there are no lights at all in the scene. Not even a camera, I just added genesis, added wearable and then mats and hit render on the perspective view.

I'm using DS 4.6.0.18 64bit version

Just loaded the same scene into the latest public beta (4.6.0.81 64bit) and it renders fine as well.

edited December 1969

Everything else renders fine though.... I'm still getting around it, but I've managed to crank out renders. It's just this particular character that doesn't render well. The log file says a lot of "Cannot Find Shader". That is starting to shed light on the subject. What shader does it use and should I redownload it?

Does it say what shader it can't find?

From what I can see it looks like a custom shader but I'm beginning to wonder if it's based off of Age of Armors base SSS set or something.

It does say on the product page that you need DS 4.5 or newer.

If you're using 4.6 and you haven't already you might want to download the free SubSurface base set (http://www.daz3d.com/subsurface-shader-base) and see if that fixes it.

edited December 1969

Richard - Thanks! *makes a note*

Sisca - It mentions shader bricks too, and I do have the subsurface shader downloaded and installed....

edited December 1969

Oooook. Reinstalling DS4 did the trick. Genesis Bot is rendering fine now. Thanks for all your help, guys! Just one last thing. Could someone point me in the direction of a good GenX tutorial? Thanks, :)