Genesis 8 UV for Legacy UVs geograft (Done)

Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557
edited January 2019 in Product Suggestions

Hi,

I think the best way to get the maps of M3/V3, M4/V4, Genesis, Genesis 2 to Genesis 3 or 8 is by using Legacy UVs products and Map Transfer but sadly it actually misses a part, the geograft maps.

If I could get the Genesis 8 UV for these geografts, I would export the OBJ (figure and for each UV set) and use this new ultimate Genesis 8 figures (G8 surfaces merged to geograft surfaces) to convert all the maps supported by Legacy UVs.

Sure I already own TextureTransformer but it destroys the original structure (for example the eyebrow position), Legacy UVs is more reliable and accurate.

Post edited by Noah LGP on

Comments

• Noah, I'm not sure I understand what you are suggesting.  Currently the various Legacy UV products can transfer fully M4/V4, Genesis and Genesis 2 textures onto Genesis 3 or Genesis 8 with the geografts (also V3 onto Genesis 3).

As I have to hand the initial pre-production Geografts with Genesis 8 UVs, could you give me a specific example of what you want to do?

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Map tranfer is for converting between a figure's UV sets, i.e. convert Girl 7 UV set to Genesis 3 Female base UV set.

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557
    edited January 2019

Noah, I'm not sure I understand what you are suggesting.  Currently the various Legacy UV products can transfer fully M4/V4, Genesis and Genesis 2 textures onto Genesis 3 or Genesis 8 with the geografts (also V3 onto Genesis 3).

As I have to hand the initial pre-production Geografts with Genesis 8 UVs, could you give me a specific example of what you want to do?

My goal is to use your products to convert these old maps into Genesis 8 maps which would allow me to apply G8 LIE presets and G8 Diffuse Overlay presets.

I also began to transfer the old morphs to Genesis 8. For example Michael 6 as a Genesis 8 figure.

• Noah LGP said:

Noah, I'm not sure I understand what you are suggesting.  Currently the various Legacy UV products can transfer fully M4/V4, Genesis and Genesis 2 textures onto Genesis 3 or Genesis 8 with the geografts (also V3 onto Genesis 3).

My goal is to use your products to convert these old maps into Genesis 8 maps which would allow me to apply G8 LIE presets and G8 Diffuse Overlay presets.

I also began to transfer the old morphs to Genesis 8. For example Michael 6 as a Genesis 8 figure.

I'm pretty sure this can't be done.  Any one area of the surface of a figure can only hold one UV set.  You might be able to do something in post, like overlaying two renders, one with the legacy skin and one with the G8 LIE, but I don't think you can overlay two UVs in "real time", as it were.  I may be wrong, and there may be a clever way to do it - perhaps someone else might have a suggestion.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033
    edited January 2019
    Noah LGP said:

I'm pretty sure this can't be done.  Any one area of the surface of a figure can only hold one UV set.  You might be able to do something in post, like overlaying two renders, one with the legacy skin and one with the G8 LIE, but I don't think you can overlay two UVs in "real time", as it were.  I may be wrong, and there may be a clever way to do it - perhaps someone else might have a suggestion.

If I understand correctly, OP wants to convert the maps themselves to G8 UVs so that they can apply them to a 'regular' G8 afterwards, and their idea would be to create a "transfer figure" from "G8 with geografts" with both V4 and G8F UVs (for example), so they could use Map transfer on that figure. But to have the "transfer figure" version with G8F UVs they would need the ability to use G8F UVs on the geografts, not just V4 UVs.

Post edited by Leana on
    edited January 2019
    Leana said:
    Noah LGP said:

If I understand correctly, OP wants to convert the maps themselves to G8 UVs so that they can apply them to a 'regular' G8 afterwards, and their idea would be to create a "transfer figure" from "G8 with geografts" with both V4 and G8F UVs (for example), so they could use Map transfer on that figure. But to have the "transfer figure" version with G8F UVs they would need the ability to use G8F UVs on the geografts, not just V4 UVs.

Exactly.

In fact Map Transfer tool need both UV sets (source and target) in order to create the new PNG/JPG files.

• I've had another look at this.  In order for the Genesis 8 UVs to work properly on the geografts, the Surfaces need to be re-jigged.  For example the "Shoulders" surface uses textures from the G8 "Arms" and "Torso" textures, and the "Face" surface uses textures from the G8 "Face", "Ears" and "Torso" textures.  This means that if you set the Genesis 8 UVs for either of these surfaces they will only take the textures from one of the texture maps (whichever you set them to) but not all of them.

A new version of the geografts could be produced with differently defined surfaces suitable for the Genesis 8 UVs, but you would not be able to transfer the textures properly because the surfaces would not match.

In other words you will run into exactly the same problem that necessitated the development of the Legacy UVs product in the first place.

edited January 2019

I've had another look at this.  In order for the Genesis 8 UVs to work properly on the geografts, the Surfaces need to be re-jigged.  For example the "Shoulders" surface uses textures from the G8 "Arms" and "Torso" textures, and the "Face" surface uses textures from the G8 "Face", "Ears" and "Torso" textures.  This means that if you set the Genesis 8 UVs for either of these surfaces they will only take the textures from one of the texture maps (whichever you set them to) but not all of them.

A new version of the geografts could be produced with differently defined surfaces suitable for the Genesis 8 UVs, but you would not be able to transfer the textures properly because the surfaces would not match.

In other words you will run into exactly the same problem that necessitated the development of the Legacy UVs product in the first place.

That means the new geograft would get these surfaces :

• Legacy Shoulder, Part 1 (G8 Arms)
    • Legacy Shoulder, Part 2 (G8 Torso)
    • Legacy Torso (G8 Torso)
    • Legacy Head, Part 1 (G8 Ears)
    • Legacy Head, Part 2 (G8 Torso)
    • Legacy Neck (G8 Torso)
    • Legacy Face, Part 1 (G8 Face)
    • Legacy Face, Part 2 (G8 Torso)
    • Legacy Ears, Part 1 (G8 Ears)
    • Legacy Ears, Part 2 (G8 Face) ** Maybe not required because G8 Face and Ears share the same texture, both UV maps could be merged.
    • Legacy Hips (G8 Legs)

Map Transfer will create

• Template 1 : G8 Face texture by using the G8 Face, Lips, Legacy Face (Part 1) Head (Part 1) and Ears (Part 1 and 2) surfaces
    • Template 2 : G8 Torso texture by using the G8 Torso, Legacy Torso, Shoulder (Part 2), Head (Part 2), Neck and Face (Part 2) surfaces.
    • Template 3 : G8 Legs texture by using the G8 Legs, Toenails and Legacy Hips surfaces
    • Template 4 : G8 Arms texture by using the G8 Arms, Fingernails and Legacy Shoulder (Part 1) surfaces
    edited January 2019

I can understand if you don't want to modify your products, my request is for a very specific usage.

Just I need each G8 UV sets for these geograft surfaces please for Legacy UVs for G8M and V3 Legacy UVs for G3F.

I will create the surfaces by myself because splitting surface keeps the UV sets of the original surface.

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,133
    edited January 2019

OK.  Here are the links to the Genesis 8 UVs for the geografts.  Other people may also wish to try what you are attempting. 

G8F: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oylo2xoyzjuog0n/GGL8_G8FUV.zip?dl=0
    G8M: https://www.dropbox.com/s/61i499mjs43690a/GGL8_G8MUV.zip?dl=0

Just merge the data folder with your existing data folder.

These are "as is" - you will have to work on the surfaces yourself to try to get them to work.  I will be interested to hear how you get on.  If you are successful I will upload the other UVs for Genesis 3.

Post edited by Cayman Studios on
    edited January 2019

Thank you very much ! Mission completed !

How I do ?

• Load Genesis 8 Male, load Legacy UVs (!Prepare G8M script)
    • First I export the figure and UV sets because Map Transfer ignore the geograft surfaces
      • Set Resolution Level : Base to the figure, eyelashes and Legacy UVs geograft
      • Set G8M UV to the figure, eyelashes and Legacy UVs geograft
      • Export to OBJ
      • Set M6 UV to the figure, eyelashes and Legacy UVs geograft
      • Export to OBJ
      • Repeat the Set UV/Export task with M4, M5, G2M UV sets
      • Load the G8M OBJ
      • Load UV set (OBJ created with M4 UV, M5 UV, M6 UV, G2M UV)
    • Split the surfaces with the Geometry Editor (For example, I created Face_G8Torso, Head_G8Ears, Shoulders_G8Arms and Torso_G8Arms)
    • Apply a MAT preset to Genesis 8 Male figure
    • Copy the surfaces to the OBJ
    • Now Map Transfer can convert the textures from any Legacy UVs set (M4, M5, M6 or G2M) to the Default UV set (G8M)
      • Template 1 : Ears_Legacy_UVs, EyeSocket, Face, Face_Legacy_UVs, Head_G8Ears, Lips
      • Template 2 : Face_G8Torso, Head, Neck, Shoulders, Torso, Torso_Legacy_UVs
      • Template 3 : Hips, Legs, Toenails
      • Template 4 : Arms, Fingernails, Shoulders_G8Arms, Torso_G8Arms

• Well, I am surprised, but this is not a procedure I am familiar with - but I'm glad it works.

Here is the link to the Genesis 3 Male UVs for the Legacy UVs for Genesis 3 geografts:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3sqerrmjkqv4kjw/GGL3_G3MUV.zip?dl=0

And here is the link to the Genesis 3 Female UVs for the Special Edition Victoria 3 geografts:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rw2bncuimoes7gx/GGV3_G3FUV.zip?dl=0

I don't think I will be able to provide the UVs for the regular G3F geografts because I made a lot of changes during their initial development, as they were the first ones I did, and it would be too much work to unpick it all and create a workable UV Set.

Let me know if you think there's anything amiss with any of these files.

Victoria 3 to Genesis 3 Female works too.

Again thank you very much for sharing these UV sets, it's very kind !

edited January 2019

Hi,

After several transfer I think it was the wrong way because I must transfer David 5 textures to Michael 5 and M5 to Genesis 8.

In fact, Genesis 3 UV for Genesis and Genesis 3 UV for Genesis 2 Male products would make the task easier. I could convert Darius 6 UV, Gianni 6 UV and David 5 UV textures directly to Genesis 3.

Can I get the Genesis 2 Male UV and Genesis UV for these products please ?

• Noah, I have looked at my development files for all the Genesis 3 UVs products and it looks like most of the native UVs for the geografts have not been preserved.  I'm not sure why - maybe I was just trying to be efficient.  So I am afraid these are not readily available.  Apologies.

No problem, you already did a good job.

• Noah LGP said:

Thank you very much ! Mission completed !

How I do ?

• Load Genesis 8 Male, load Legacy UVs (!Prepare G8M script)
    • First I export the figure and UV sets because Map Transfer ignore the geograft surfaces
      • Set Resolution Level : Base to the figure, eyelashes and Legacy UVs geograft
      • Set G8M UV to the figure, eyelashes and Legacy UVs geograft
      • Export to OBJ
      • Set M6 UV to the figure, eyelashes and Legacy UVs geograft
      • Export to OBJ
      • Repeat the Set UV/Export task with M4, M5, G2M UV sets
      • Load the G8M OBJ
      • Load UV set (OBJ created with M4 UV, M5 UV, M6 UV, G2M UV)
    • Split the surfaces with the Geometry Editor (For example, I created Face_G8Torso, Head_G8Ears, Shoulders_G8Arms and Torso_G8Arms)
    • Apply a MAT preset to Genesis 8 Male figure
    • Copy the surfaces to the OBJ
    • Now Map Transfer can convert the textures from any Legacy UVs set (M4, M5, M6 or G2M) to the Default UV set (G8M)
      • Template 1 : Ears_Legacy_UVs, EyeSocket, Face, Face_Legacy_UVs, Head_G8Ears, Lips
      • Template 2 : Face_G8Torso, Head, Neck, Shoulders, Torso, Torso_Legacy_UVs
      • Template 3 : Hips, Legs, Toenails
      • Template 4 : Arms, Fingernails, Shoulders_G8Arms, Torso_G8Arm

To the OP:

I apologize for resurrecting an older post, but I have seen this post a few times and am just now getting around to try this process. Well, I'm having a hard time following these instructions.

Split the surfaces with the geometry editor -> are you just splitting the legacy UV surfaces? I assume to do this with each OBJ created, or the G8M figure?

Apply a MAT preset to the Genesis 8 Male figure -> apply the MAT to the UV OBJ, the G8M OBJ, or the actual G8M figure? I'm assuming the other UV MAT, so I'm assuming to the appropriate UV OBJ?

Copy the surfaces to the OBJ -> this would depend on the answer to the previous question, but the G8M OBJ or the UV OBJ?

I'm assuming the images should line up correctly, but I'm confused because I'm not seeing both UV's needed if we're copying from the UV OBJ to the G8M UV OBJ, and copying the MAT from the UV OBJ to the G8M figure doesn't give me the correct layout. I'm at a loss as to how you're able to make this work.

edited January 2021

necroscension said:

Split the surfaces with the geometry editor -> are you just splitting the legacy UV surfaces? I assume to do this with each OBJ created, or the G8M figure?

The OBJ have G8 arms and G8 torso partially merged by the Legacy UV geograft for Genesis 2_SkinTorso surface, you have to restore the original G8 surfaces because they don't use the same diffuse map (Arms and Torso).

necroscension said:

Apply a MAT preset to the Genesis 8 Male figure -> apply the MAT to the UV OBJ, the G8M OBJ, or the actual G8M figure? I'm assuming the other UV MAT, so I'm assuming to the appropriate UV OBJ?

Copy the surfaces to the OBJ -> this would depend on the answer to the previous question, but the G8M OBJ or the UV OBJ?

In fact it became useless because you can add surface selection sets to the OBJ. I load the diffuse maps for these sets : Template 1 (Face), 2 (Torso) and 3 (Limbs).

If you want to apply the original Material presets, you should create the sets for Genesis and Genesis 2 surfaces.

necroscension said:

I'm assuming the images should line up correctly, but I'm confused because I'm not seeing both UV's needed if we're copying from the UV OBJ to the G8M UV OBJ, and copying the MAT from the UV OBJ to the G8M figure doesn't give me the correct layout. I'm at a loss as to how you're able to make this work.

You have to select manually the UV sets that you created earlier with the OBJ files.

Daz0001.jpg
    436 x 1120 - 54K
    Daz0003.jpg
    447 x 780 - 42K
    Daz0004.jpg
    1492 x 1055 - 95K
    Daz0005.jpg
    762 x 1067 - 75K
    Daz0006.jpg
    476 x 1186 - 62K
    Daz0002.jpg
    430 x 1114 - 53K
  • OK, there's a little bit more to this than I thought. That's not a bad thing, this is something I haven't had a chance to work with in Studio. I've done a little reading on it the UV import, so here in a day or two I'll see if I can get somewhere with this.