what's the equivalent to Material Room in DS? for customizing shaders and not use presets

Comments

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

so, if you have two or more characters, they all need their own unique group ids?

That's what I do, yeah. But I always err on the side of caution =)

And that's a cool smoke-glass dragon you´ve got there!

• ScraverXScraverX Posts: 152
    edited December 1969

I haven't even looked at playing with the mixer. I do like how that dragon came out.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

tee hee. what else to smoky crystallize?

next i should learn how to save it a preset for the whole figure. :)

edited December 1969

is there a brick can do random colors?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,429
    edited December 1969

There's a Random Brick in Functions>Textures, which you could then modify as needed.

edited December 1969

with one of those ifthenelse bricks? facepalm :shut: :lol:

edited December 2013

DS isn't python. -astute observation :lol:

is there programmer's reference for the language it uses?

something to learn how to make custom bricks?

thank yooo

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,698
    edited December 1969

hmmm, shade mixer ref says DS can do caustics. but is it true caustics or trickery caustics? philosophically, does it matter?
    True caustics.

Then why does it have just half-a-dozen, material-specific presets with no place to plug in an IOR?

edited December 1969

thank yooo

The actual shading language is RSL, and there's a way to add new stuff to ShaderMixer through a Shader_Builder_ macro (SBuilder can handle RSL directly, but it's fairly glitchy on all my machines, so you'd need to ask people like Takeo.Kensei for help with it; he helped DollyGirl write this beginner's tutorial for getting an RSL shader into SBuilder, take a look: http://www.sharecg.com/v/66014/browse/3/PDF-Tutorial/DAZ-4.5-Shader-Builder-Tutorial-MK-Gooch-Shader ).

IIRC you could also write a new SMixer brick through the SDK, but it should be done in C++ then, I believe.

• ScureuilScureuil Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

Yep, DS uses a variant of Javascript/ECMAScript.

There's some docs on it, but it's incomplete :

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/start

For shaders, the renderer is 3Delight, you can see the Renderman code the Shader Builder will compile in the Surface Code tab.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RenderMan_Shading_Language

edited December 1969

is this the random brick adding random color? to the granite?

Thanks.

randomcolor.JPG
    770 x 296 - 45K
    edited December 1969

Yes, that's right.

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

thank yooo

The actual shading language is RSL, and there's a way to add new stuff to ShaderMixer through a Shader_Builder_ macro (SBuilder can handle RSL directly, but it's fairly glitchy on all my machines, so you'd need to ask people like Takeo.Kensei for help with it; he helped DollyGirl write this beginner's tutorial for getting an RSL shader into SBuilder, take a look: http://www.sharecg.com/v/66014/browse/3/PDF-Tutorial/DAZ-4.5-Shader-Builder-Tutorial-MK-Gooch-Shader ).

IIRC you could also write a new SMixer brick through the SDK, but it should be done in C++ then, I believe.

Oh, nice tutorial! I didn't know about that one. :)

I was able to create a "Blur" brick for Shader Mixer using Shader Builder, but that's about as far as I got on my own. This should help.

I'd like to work on more Shader Mixer tutorials. I actually have one I've been working on for quite a while-- I just have a lot else on my plate right now. I'm glad the ones I've already written are still helping people. :)

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,598
    edited December 1969

Wow great thread! I'll add it to the list as soon as I get chance. 1 week until holidays so I should be able to catch up then...

edited December 1969

gilikshe said:

derivatives :shut:

can't be as bad as creative accounting math derivatives
    job hunting, derivatives in the wants too much :lol:

edited December 2013

help please? where should the translucence connect for like a lampshade surface?

is there a way to make this poser node in DS? it has ellipsoid tile shape for a pattern.

i was trying to reproduce this shimmery in DS.

when tiling is there a way to make the tiles automatically mirror in 'u' and 'v'? i'm getting strong seams.

fw-dressredshimmerPsonly.png
    205 x 269 - 125K
    Capture-tileshape.JPG
    221 x 274 - 23K
    transl.jpg
    803 x 295 - 60K
    edited December 1969

Combine the output of the Translucence brick with the regular diffuse colour, if any - use a Binary Operation brick and either Add or Screen them, I think, depending on what works (Add would be logical, but it can overdo the result) - and then plug that into the final diffuse colour.

I can't really see what the Poser node is doing - could you show a larger example?

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

This is one of those cases where both programs have bricks/nodes with the same name, but which give completely different results. In Poser you can select from a few shapes to work with, but in DS you are stuck with a square tile with a two color diamond pattern on it. You also have the problem of it being dependent on the UV mapping, as a lot of the "pattern" bricks in DS are not truly procedural.

edited December 2013

Bejaymac said:
    This is one of those cases where both programs have bricks/nodes with the same name, but which give completely different results. In Poser you can select from a few shapes to work with, but in DS you are stuck with a square tile with a two color diamond pattern on it. You also have the problem of it being dependent on the UV mapping, as a lot of the "pattern" bricks in DS are not truly procedural.

There are two similarly-named bricks in DS, "Tile" and "Tiler." "Tile" is like you said, a pre-made brick with a sort of ceramic tile pattern built-in. "Tiler," on the other hand, will repeat whatever you give it, so maybe that would be a better choice here.

I also don't quite understand what you mean about pattern bricks in DS not being procedural. By default, the Tiler will use s and t, referencing whatever UV map exists for the object. You can also apply them using x and y (or x,y,z in some cases) and get wood grain that appears to run through the object and ignores uv mapping, for example. Or you can make them project from the camera angle and ignore uv mapping that way, by using actual u and v instead of s and t (which is what Tiler uses by default).

Is there some other aspect of being procedural that I'm not understanding?

Edited to add: The main difference that seems to catch Poser users by surprise is that you have to manually multiply brick output by an image or color (or add, or any of several other binary operations) rather than having this be done for you automatically when you feed one brick into another.

Post edited by zigraphix on
    edited December 2013

zigraphix said:
    Bejaymac said:

There are two similarly-named bricks in DS, "Tile" and "Tiler." "Tile" is like you said, a pre-made brick with a sort of ceramic tile pattern built-in. "Tiler," on the other hand, will repeat whatever you give it, so maybe that would be a better choice here.

I also don't quite understand what you mean about pattern bricks in DS not being procedural. By default, the Tiler will use s and t, referencing whatever UV map exists for the object. You can also apply them using x and y (or x,y,z in some cases) and get wood grain that appears to run through the object and ignores uv mapping, for example. Or you can make them project from the camera angle and ignore uv mapping that way, by using actual u and v instead of s and t (which is what Tiler uses by default).

Is there some other aspect of being procedural that I'm not understanding?

Edited to add: The main difference that seems to catch Poser users by surprise is that you have to manually multiply brick output by an image or color (or add, or any of several other binary operations) rather than having this be done for you automatically when you feed one brick into another.

surprised! yes. lol :)

a screenshot of a sample, very basic, binary operation would be much appreciated :)

the above tile screenshot, tile is plugged into diffuse, specular, and bump, on the poser surface node.

makes a pretty shimmer on the dress. would love to make the shimmer texture for DS.

edited December 2013

what about transparency fall_off in DS?

like making something more opaque in the center and fade into the background near the edges?

like for a twinkle?

falloff.JPG
    211 x 234 - 16K
    edited December 1969

Use Edge Blend, Functions>Geometric>Special.

edited December 1969

it doesn't need binary anything?

edited December 1969

Edge blend can give you a gradient based on the angle of the surface - if you make the colours shades of grey then you should be able to feed it straight into Opacity

edited December 1969

a screenshot of a sample, very basic, binary operation would be much appreciated :)

Binary just means a math node that takes two inputs. Typical examples are add, multiply, subtract, divide, etc. The Mix node is very similar, but designed to work with colors and images-- it takes two inputs of color/image type as well as a third "alpha" parameter that tells Shader Mixer how strong to make the effect of the second color/image.

edited December 1969

anyone would haz advice for shade mixer and lighting?

i'm taking a couple days off from the day job this thurs/fri, solely to work on my shade mixing skills.

edited December 1969

anyone would haz advice for shade mixer and lighting?

Like, what lights can you make in it?
    You could make simple point/distant/spot lights that will have additional controls (like shadow samples etc). These will have these controls by default, the trick is not to forget to attach the "Shadows-Standard" block to actually get the lights to cast any shadows. =)

Then you could make gel lights, probably the most interesting thing. You could use procedurals to generate gel patterns.

It´s also possible to make area lights (with specular/diffuse only controls that UberArea lights don't have) in SMixer, but when you attach shadows to them, they are very slow, slower than UberArea lights. I found a faster way to get area lights with shadows in Shader Builder, posted here (scroll down for explanation and image): http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/21611/P255/#522138

edited December 1969

needing some steam wisps, like from a baked pie. shade mixer to the rescue?

anyway to bring a bryce preset material into shade mixer?

can't imagine it, but i don't know what language Bryce uses.

edited December 1969

DS does include a volume shader (uberVolume), without having to roll your own, though I'm not sure how well it would work for something like that - it sounds more like a job for a plane with a masked image.