Converting V4 textures to Genesis

edited December 1969 in The Commons

I previously bought Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 and still can't get it to save out the converted file for poser and work right, though now I'm reading you can't even use SSS? Is the V4 Skins Auto Converter for Genesis 2 easier?

I was under the impression when I bought the first one that you could convert them through Poser I didn't understand that you had to do all this stuff in DS and most of the instructions I am finding are just to convert in DS.

I finally figured out that you have to save the DUF file in a DS library rather than Poser, but when I try to convert to a Poser companion file it says that the content type or file extension is unsupported. it's a DUF file, isn't that what I was supposed to save as a material preset?

Comments

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

...I finally figured out that you have to save the DUF file in a DS library rather than Poser, but when I try to convert to a Poser companion file it says that the content type or file extension is unsupported. it's a DUF file, isn't that what I was supposed to save as a material preset?

When you convert to a Poser companion file, you have to choose the type of file you need it to be in Poser. In this case I would choose "Material Preset," which will then be placed into Poser's Material folder. I haven't tried this particular conversion yet, but if the process does work in Poser, I'm pretty sure what I described is the way to make it work.

• edited December 1969

Thanks.
    So I finally thought I did it right (because it exported without the error) but the skin look like the texture is wrong. Here is what I did

1. Loaded V4.2 in DS
    2. Loaded the material I wanted (& did not choose one with SSS)
    3. Saved the DUF (as material preset)
    4. Deleted V4 and loaded G2F
    5. applied the V4 for Genesis 2 thing
    6. Loaded the DUF I had saved which looked perfect
    7. Resaved the DUF (added a g2 to the end of the file name so I knew it was the one applied to G2)
    8. Created the Poser companion file by right clicking content library while that DUF was selected.
    It saved with NO ERRORS
    9. Opened Poser 2014 and loaded G2 & used the V4 for Geneis thing which turned the texture gray so it should be switched
    10. applied the skin I had converted from DS...

And it doesn't look right. It looks like it has mat files applied or something because the skin is white ish and the texture is barely showing. Looks nothing like it did in DS.

Did I skip a step?

edited December 1969

I don't think you missed a step, but honestly, this is something I've been intending to try but haven't had time to yet. If I can squeeze in some time to try it this weekend, I'll report back with my results.

edited November 2013

I think I figured it out. Here's the process:

1. Load V4.2 in DS
    2. Load the material onto V4
    3. Save the DUF (as material preset)
    4. Delete V4 and load G2F
    5. Apply the saved V4 DUF to Genesis 2 Female
    6. Switch to the Surface Selection Tool and in the side panel (Editor tab) select all surfaces
    7. Resave the DUF
    8. Create the Poser companion file by right clicking content library while that DUF is selected.
    9. Open Poser, load G2F, & dial in the V4 shape
    10.Apply the newly converted skin to G2F
    11. Success!

Below image is G2F with the free Atlantis texture from Rendo.

sample-05.jpg
    1540 x 831 - 34K
    Post edited by TheWheelMan on
  • KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

TheWheelMan, what is the name of texture on your render?

edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    TheWheelMan, what is the name of texture on your render?

It's called Atlantis V4 A4. It's from the freebie section at Rendo. The creator's name is Ecstasy .

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Thanks, I'll take a look at it :)

• jerhamjerham Posts: 153
    edited November 2013

I previously bought Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 and still can't get it to save out the converted file for poser and work right, though now I'm reading you can't even use SSS? Is the V4 Skins Auto Converter for Genesis 2 easier?

Personaly i find the V4 auto converter much easier. Just use the script on a GF 2 with a V4 textures, save it as a DUF and create the DSON poser file. Until now almost all V4 skins i've used this way worked with out a problem.

But I'm not sure if SSS is fully supported...use/prefer EZskin in poser.

Maybe helpfull, there are several threads about this subject:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24101/#356067
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24085/

Post edited by jerham on