How to center object on stage

tankeratltankeratl Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi guys,

I am brand new in that amazing world of 3D !

My problem is the following, i have a building in Collada format, when i import it on my stage i need it to be at the center (like when you load Genesis for example)...

Can you help me?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

You can do this one of several ways, but the easiest is to import your object, then center it manually to exactly where you want its center to be, then export the object to OBJ in DAZ Studio Scale, and re-import it. That's my approach.

• tankeratltankeratl Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi Wancow,

Many thanks for your reply, but, as i said, i am noob and i dont know how to center the object manually is there any way to know width, height and depth of an object...

• tankeratltankeratl Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

OK i just found a simple way to do that !! I was looking to do that trough coordinates but i can do that visually using TOP camera, thanks again for your help

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,577
    edited July 2012

Use the Align pane - Window>Panes(Tabs)>Align. This doesn't have a built-in option to align to the world, but there's a work-around.

Make sure you have just the thing you want to centre selected. In the drop-downs for each axis choose Align: Centres (or if you want it resting on the floor you may want to choose Align: Bottoms for the y-axis). Now, with only the one item selected the Apply button will be greyed out but if you check the To grid: option for each axis it will be enabled - the trick is to set the number for the grid to be at least twice as large as the item, so that the nearest grid snapping point is at the origin: for many items, at least if you roughly position them with the translate tool, the default 1 metre will be fine but for larger items you may need to increase that. Click Apply and the item should snap into place.

Snap-to-centre.jpg
    463 x 266 - 23K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on