[Released] dForce Hair for Big Cat 2

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-hair-for-big-cat-2

Bring new life to Daz Big Cat 2, adding dynamic hair (fur!) to these majestic creatures.

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

Looks good, but ... if I run a simulation the cat (and hair) does not appear in the render. If I Clear teh Simulation then teh cat actually bothers to show up! cheeky

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

Probably worth putting in a ticket, that's nothing I can control.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

I know how badly you've wanted real fur. :) And these fix one of my biggest issues with the Big Cat. You got a lot of my money today. ;)

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Hey @Oso3D! This is the "Oso Black Panther Jaguar" material. Great work on this product! The simulation issue that @SimonJM ran into (blank render) happened to me too, and his workaround of clearing the simulation also worked for me. Thanks for that workaround @SimonJM, and kudos again @Oso3Dsmiley

OsoBigCat2Fur.jpg
    1500 x 750 - 983K
  • wteeningwteening Posts: 89

How long is a render supposed to take? It seems to get stuck at 0% trying to load Whitesquare.jpg which I had to locate myself. Any ideas what's going wrong?

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited June 2019

The new big cat fur is awesome. Well done Oso! Here is my first render with it.

Ciao

TD

Click Image for full size.

Little Ranger and her Kitty Cat 2.png
    2000 x 2000 - 4M
    Post edited by thd777 on
  • Something is going wrong with this pack:

1. The Textures are not in the right directory: MilCat dHair is the right directory: you have to rename it,

(old directoryname is Oso dHair BigCat2)

2. The files are looking for 

DBC_mouth_tongue_S.jpg, DBC_pads_S.jpg, DBC_body_S.jpg in the texturedirectory of DAZBigCats2.

But there ist only

DBC_mouth_tongue_B.jpg, DBC_pads_B.jpgDBC_body_B.jpg

I have copied the originalfiles und renamed it to the S-Files.

But is this the right way? Or are there missing files ?

3. Compared to the beautiful images seeing above i get only animals with very pale noses in my iray-rendering.

I don´t know to solve this miracle.

Please send in a ticket.

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited June 2019

Something is going wrong with this pack:

1. The Textures are not in the right directory: MilCat dHair is the right directory: you have to rename it,

DBC_mouth_tongue_S.jpg, DBC_pads_S.jpg, DBC_body_S.jpg in the texturedirectory of DAZBigCats2.

But there ist only

3. Compared to the beautiful images seeing above i get only animals with very pale noses in my iray-rendering.

1. I have not enmcountered that issue. How do you load the cat? Here is what I do: First load tyhe default DAZ Big Cat 2. Then load the Fur (from the Fur folder) and then selct the cat and add one of Oso's materials from the breeds folder. It should apply automatically to both the cat and the fur.

2. Have you updated or downloaded the DAZ Big cat 2 recently? I believe there was an update that added the mssing files quite some time ago. The files you are missing are included in the version you can currently download, but they were missing on release.

3. Try to load the way I describe 1. and see if that works.

Ciao

TD

Post edited by thd777 on
  • Joe WebbJoe Webb Posts: 837

I got that error.

I was promoted to update the BigCat2, when I clicked it. I had to back out of applying the "fur" (and the search for the textures). So I did that. Restarted DAZ just to be sure, and everything loads fine now. 

In case people don’t realize, you don’t have to simulate. Fur will often look just fine as is.

• thd777

Thank you.

Downloading the update for BigCats2 was the solution.

But there ist only

Was about to post 'what update for Big Cat 2?' then had a thougtht and checked.  And yes, the update for Big Cat 2 (or at least AN update ..) and also for White Tiger for Big Cat 2, Black Panther for Big Cat 2, and Real Fur for Big Cat 2 are tagged, in DIM, awith ONLY 'Connect Available' so I did not see them as as I do NOT, ever, use Connect. Downloading now ...

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited June 2019
    SimonJM said:

But there ist only

Was about to post 'what update for Big Cat 2?' then had a thougtht and checked.  And yes, the update for Big Cat 2 (or at least AN update ..) and also for White Tiger for Big Cat 2, Black Panther for Big Cat 2, and Real Fur for Big Cat 2 are tagged, in DIM, awith ONLY 'Connect Available' so I did not see them as as I do NOT, ever, use Connect. Downloading now ...

Amen, brother.

Finally succumbed and bought Big Cat, purely because of this product; I'm figuring first new cat we'll get is Cat 20! :(

Post edited by nicstt on

The update solves the lack of specualr maps, but does not solve the disappearing kitty issue after a dForce simulation.  I'll be chucking in a ticket

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,876

This is probably not in any way related but I had this issue with just  Dforce in both iray and Octane a few times especially if making my viewport untextured yet it rendered in OpenGL fine 

my figure would just vanish and everything else render, never really solved it seems ok in iray at least now

• ChadCryptoChadCrypto Posts: 596
    edited October 2019

@oso3d  I just picked this up the other day. I'm trying to get the lion with mane to work. Does it use the Bigcat 2 Mane?, or is it supposed to have one you made, so it can be dforced? When I click it only shows the default mane. and it doesn't dforce.

Post edited by ChadCrypto on

What you want to do is click on DAZ Big Cat 2, which is just the animal.

Then navigate to Hair and add Oso Big Cat 2 Fur and then also Oso Lion Mane.

On the Big Cat 2 you can go to Actor parameter and dial in Lion Male (or not, it's not a huge difference).

The default textures on all the items are Lion, so you don't have to do anything further. (For a tiger or something, you'd skip the mane and then click on tiger HMat)

• ChadCryptoChadCrypto Posts: 596
    edited October 2019

Thank you, @Oso3d  

There seems something  in my DazStudio 4.12 not working right.  I loaded it fine in the old  4.12 beta version. Though the current version is not working to show the mane. I even uninstalled Dazstudio 4.12 public and reinstalled. And it still doesn't work. Very confusing.

Post edited by ChadCrypto on

Try reinstalling the big cat content?

If that doesn't work, please put in a ticket.

• JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited October 2019

I just purchased dForce Hair for Big Cat 2.  Is there any way to modify the dForce hair? For example, is there a way to change the length, clumping, density, etc... as you can with strand based hair?  The hair looks ok by default, but it would be nice to be able to make some changes to make it look more realistic

Post edited by Joepingleton on

Sure; with many forms of dForce hair, the strand qualities are translated to the surface parameters; go into the surface and look for parameters:

Length is controlled by Generated Hair Scale. You can 'clip' the hair shorter with Reduce Hair Length. You can also randomly shorten hair with Random Length Amount

Clumping is handled by, well, Clumping. Same basic stuff as strand hair.

Density is govered by PS Hairs Density or, more commonly, by Additional PR Hairs Density (cm^2).

You could, for example, give lions a mohawk. Or create a ridge-backed feline creature. Or... weirder stuff.

• awesome, thanks for the information and the great product 

• awesome, thanks for the information and the great product 

You can also, with the help of Strand Based Hair editor, create custom length maps for the model. Since dforce hair uses pretty much the same maps, it works very well.

• JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited October 2019

awesome, thanks for the information and the great product 

You can also, with the help of Strand Based Hair editor, create custom length maps for the model. Since dforce hair uses pretty much the same maps, it works very well.

Very cool. Here are some quick editing of the dForce settings (left) and a comparison with a default Catalyzer Tiger (right)

tiger_dForce01.jpg
    960 x 367 - 116K
    Post edited by Joepingleton on
    edited October 2019

Personally I use a 3d paint program (usually Mudbox) to do maps.

Mind you... I'm not sure that's... a smart approach, because it takes countless tries to see how the length map ACTUALLY looks on the fur. And a lot of swearing. Hmm. Maybe I should do the strand editor approach, hahahaha

Note that if you have a very robust machine, changing the Render Line Tessellation to 3 will produce even nicer looking fur. (But it also triples the number of polygons being rendered, thus my initial bit).

Post edited by Oso3D on
    edited October 2019

Here's a tiger with some weird tweaks, heheh.

Note that there are no new maps or anything; for wavy tiger I used the tiger color map, inverted (via LIE). For the Floof, I shut off lips and nose fur, used leopard fur lengths (to be a bit more even) and just made scale a lot higher. May have tweaked clumping a little.

Wavy tiger.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 275K
    Floof Tiger.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 305K
    Post edited by Oso3D on
    edited October 2019

I stil have the issue of the animal (and fur) being invisible in render if I do a simulation beforehand.  If I clear the sim and try again all works ok - ticket open with support.

Post edited by SimonJM on
  • SimonJM said:

I stil have the issue of the animal (and fur) being invisible in render if I do a simulation beforehand.  If I clear the sim and try again all works ok - ticket open with support.

I am having the same problem

SimonJM said:

I am having the same problem

Sort of glad it's not just me!