Problems with Axis

jtbetheljtbethel Posts: 42

I thought I had this fixed but I haven't

When I create a model in Max I save it and export it as an .obj after setting it with the 0,0,0 at the point where I want the object to pivot often not the centre of the object.

When I import it into Daz it used to work fine and pivot on the same point as I had saved it in Max.

But recently, when I import the old objects or new ones into Daz the pivot point is either in the centre of the object or attached to the middle

bottom edge of the bounding box. I don't use objects that much so not sure how far back it went wrong.

I know I can use the Joint editor tool to reposition the axes, but this is not as good as it used to be.

Has something change, is there a parameter to set for importing objects.

Thanks

Comments

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

It doesn't matter what modelling program you use. All objects imported in Daz Studio or Poser have their axis at the 0 0 0 coordinates. (I use 3d max too). The .obj format doesn't save pivot information, so there's no way for DS to know where it was in Max.

mac

• jtbetheljtbethel Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

I'm talking about things I used to do that worked and now don't.

I just imported the same object into Daz 4.0.3.38 on my laptop and the pivot was in the place it was saved in Max.

This problem has started recently, I'm using Daz 4.6.1.33.

So there is definitely a difference between the older Daz and the recent one.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The older Versions of DAZ Studio were not as picky with content so items read as built. The Newer versions are designed so all content default to the same standards. Sometimes that's more of a problem than it is help as it was meant to be.

edited December 1969

Thanks Jaderail

Not quite the answer I was hoping for at least I can use the Joint editor.

Hopefully later versions may revert this error, I can't see how it's suppose to be an improvement.

I tried to uninstall daz 4.6.1.33 and install 4.6.0.18 but that seems even more difficult.

Thanks

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have simply learned to build my props (pitiful things I do not share) with the world center 0,0,0, as the default axis point I want in my finished items. It's just faster, I even just Position them there if needed before I save.

edited December 1969

Exactly! That's what I do. (and my props are just as pitiful too)
    If I make a door in Max or any other modeling software I move it so that the hinges are on the 0,0,0 (usually the center of the grid) before I save and export it out as an .obj.

Then when I insert it into Daz it pivots on the hinges.

This has worked fine until the 4.6.1.33, now when I import the same obj into Daz it seems to come in with the hinges in the 0,0,0 position ( Middle of the floor grid) but the pivot point is now in the middle bottom edge of the door or bounding box.

I'm just wondering if I have changed a setting somewhere, and even by uninstalling and reinstalling, Daz is keeping the setup files somewhere and defaulting to whatever I did.

I love Daz but it sometimes drives me up the wall! :grrr: