Importing OBJ file from 3ds Max 2013 to Daz 4.6

Hoplite490Hoplite490 Posts: 90

Hello,

I am importing an object from 3ds Max 2013 to Daz 4.6 and the export goes well. My object is the correct scale as well as my X and Y axis but I am having difficulty trying to bring one object into Daz with subobjects. I will try and explain: I created a simple object that has 4 components and when I import it, I get one object with no subobjects. I would be satisfied if somebody responds to this and states that is how Daz imports obj. files from Max but I accidentally enabled an option or did something and my object came in with 3 of the 4 components as subobjects and for the life of me, I can not figure out what I had done. This is what I have tried:

( I first used UVW Remove to remove materials from the objects)
1. Exporting the 4 objects, Daz creates one object from the 4 objects.
2. Grouped the 4 objects and exported - Imports as one object.
3. Attached 3 objects to the main object, assigned separate Set IDs and exported - still just one object after import into Daz.
3. Remaing as one object in Max; cleared the object using UVW Remove and with Material Editor in Max, I created Multi/Sub-Object and assigned materials to the 4 IDs and exported - NOPE.
4. Cleared the materials again, prayed to the 3ds Max god, promised my first born and exported just for the hell of it. Looks as if my first born is safe. It imports as a single object.

3ds Max export settings:

Geometry:
Faces = quads
Texture coordinates = checked
Normals = checked
scale = 0.1

Material:
Export Materials = checked
Created mat-library = Checked
Force black ambient = checked

Output:
Target = PC/Win
relative numbers = checked
Precision = 6

Optimize:
Vertex = checked
normals = checked
texture-coord checked

Write to Export-folder = checked

Preset is set to Daz Studio

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,076
    edited December 1969

Yes, DS imports a single OBJ file as a single prop. However, if you instead import into the Figure Setup pane, by right-clicking in the left, groups, section, then as long as your sub-objects show as groups you can turn the item into a figure (drag to the right, hierarchy, area and then use drag-and-drop to rearrange).