A.I. based Open Source De-noiser for Daz Studio PC and MACs

12346»

Comments

• Son of the RavenSon of the Raven Posts: 119
    edited January 2021

mCasual said:

when the png has an alpha layer, the background will show up as gray checkers

then copy a background image or area of an image

and paste it on the image with the alpha layer

your background image becomes a layer

Thank you. My issue was that the alpha layer (_out-1) is not denoised, so I needed to find a way to get the transparency of the original to the denoised version.

Post edited by Son of the Raven on
    edited January 2021

How do you add/remove/edit list of image for sequence? Right now the bottom left says Num Images In Sequence: 27 - guessing that's the total number of images I've loaded so far, but I don't see how to remove any or edit in any other way. Kind of figure that whenever I use Select Input/Base Image I add one to the sequence. edit: 27 is not the total I've done, as I keep doing more and it is still 27

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,347

Son of the Raven said:

mCasual, on the topic of resizing images, do you strictly render the same size as your final intention, or were you just referring to denoising before reducing size?

It is possible to do both, but AI denoising should definitely be done before reducing size; it's looking for specific pixel patterns in the output, and resizing messes with that.

You can resize after denoising if you wish and this can again provide a cleaner image - but the denoising does need to be done first in order to work properly.

• For someone (like me) who has just installed this script (and so is following the instructions on your page mscasual), the ImageMagick 7 does not appear to have the convert utility you need. Not in the form of an exe anyway. The site does link to a legacy page for ImageMagick 6 and that has it.

Might save a little confusion.

The latest denoiser (1.2.4) seems to come with oidnDenoise.exe instead of denoise.exe, but obviously that was less confusing.

• HellwolveHellwolve Posts: 156

Sorry for not checking back sooner; the DAZ forums are horrible at keeping me posted when there are new replies. Thanks for looking into the alpha issue; I'm sure this'll work for me :-)

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,604
    The recent versions of imagemagick use "magick" in place of "convert" on pc's it's Exe but on macs there's no extension apparently same thing with the denoiser. So the new version of the script for macs lets you select any file instead of only *.exe and *.*

For someone (like me) who has just installed this script (and so is following the instructions on your page mscasual), the ImageMagick 7 does not appear to have the convert utility you need. Not in the form of an exe anyway. The site does link to a legacy page for ImageMagick 6 and that has it.

Might save a little confusion.

The latest denoiser (1.2.4) seems to come with oidnDenoise.exe instead of denoise.exe, but obviously that was less confusing.

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited January 2021

@ mCasual :

Thank you, for all that you do!

You are the original Daz-to-Blender author with mcjTeleBlender (I still use and love), but get no love, or even the slightest acknowledgement for your wonderful efforts in bringing DS and Blender workflows possible.

I know you have been firmly cemented in the Freebies Forum for years, but now that we have a dedicated Blender Forum, I would love to see you have a mcjTeleBlender thread there, and maybe get more exposure and appreciation by those who still find your work very useful.

Thank you, Jacques  --  I appreciate your work!

* EDIT:  Appologies for not posting in the proper thread for this, but search here at Daz being what it is, and my limited time, I jumped on the first mCasual thread I happened upon...

Post edited by DaremoK3 on
  • While I've asked a lot of questions, this script is fantastic and makes life so much easier!

Two side notes: 1. not all of your paypal links work; 2. is there a thread for mcjJet1&2? think I want to check that out

edited February 2021
    Thanks Google forced the thousands of google-site owners to switch to a new format so i had to fix my hundreds of pages ... It looked better and worked better before To find things in the forums i type something like this in google: Site:daz3d.com mcjJet https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/21263/mcjjet-script-basic-particle-effects-for-ds-1-4-with-burst-mode Also see https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/46625/mcjbillboards-better-billboards-for-mcjjet And https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/46023/ There is/was? also a more powerful ( i guess ) plugin in the daz store

While I've asked a lot of questions, this script is fantastic and makes life so much easier!

Two side notes: 1. not all of your paypal links work; 2. is there a thread for mcjJet1&2? think I want to check that out

Post edited by mCasual on
    edited February 2021

Just noticed that the output image is 16 bits, vs input at 8 bits (should have picked up on this earlier). Does one of the settings control this, or is it just the way imagemagick or intel oi denoise works?

Edit: Wanted to ask that question while it was in my mind without pausing the render I had going. Now I've checked and know it's the drop down on the right that I thought it might be. Still curious why the "PNG:Default. Economical format" does 16 bit, in case the answer can help me understand something I'm not already understanding or considering.

• Alien AlloyAlien Alloy Posts: 181
    edited May 2022

Always a good script to really take away the noise from pictures!

Post edited by Alien Alloy on
  • Jarov27Jarov27 Posts: 6
    edited August 2023

I'm having the same issue Son of the Raven had which he never found a solution to outside of photoshop. I'm not a huge fan of his solution as areas with near transparency like the edge of hair will get become a little more visible. Not to mention I don't want to manually adjust nearly 1000 renders (animations). Since it's been over two years I'll give a refresher.

Transparency is not actually transferred to the new denoised image. All my renders have a transparency layer, which you can visaully see as checkboxes both in daz when rendering to a new window, and in GIMP. That transparency is lost in the new denoised image. Like him, three new images are generated, the alpha image from the denoised image, the alpha image from the non-denoised image, and the combined final result. I believe the issue is apparent when the alpha from the denoised image is mising the transparency. For some reason it would appear as though the image alpha is lost from the original alpha layer when creating the denoised alpha image. I'm going to look into it more with the command line and will come back with anything I discover.

EDIT: Well it didn't take long to figure out there might be an issue somewhere in your script. I might start looking at that, but executing the composition in the terminal produces the correct result while also not producing the two excess alpha images.

EDIT 2: You haven't included the -composite flag in the script when executing the process. Looking through the code now to understand what you're doing when you execute the process.

FINAL EDIT: Fixed the issue. Added the -composite flag to the script and removed the "alpha" prefix to the resulting filename since you want to replace the non alpha converted image and not add another file. Let me know if you want me to send you the fixed script.

Post edited by Jarov27 on

i could integrate your changes and update mcj what's the mcjDenoise and also post your version intact

Jarov27 said:

I'm having the same issue Son of the Raven had which he never found a solution to outside of photoshop. I'm not a huge fan of his solution as areas with near transparency like the edge of hair will get become a little more visible. Not to mention I don't want to manually adjust nearly 1000 renders (animations). Since it's been over two years I'll give a refresher.

Transparency is not actually transferred to the new denoised image. All my renders have a transparency layer, which you can visaully see as checkboxes both in daz when rendering to a new window, and in GIMP. That transparency is lost in the new denoised image. Like him, three new images are generated, the alpha image from the denoised image, the alpha image from the non-denoised image, and the combined final result. I believe the issue is apparent when the alpha from the denoised image is mising the transparency. For some reason it would appear as though the image alpha is lost from the original alpha layer when creating the denoised alpha image. I'm going to look into it more with the command line and will come back with anything I discover.

EDIT: Well it didn't take long to figure out there might be an issue somewhere in your script. I might start looking at that, but executing the composition in the terminal produces the correct result while also not producing the two excess alpha images.

EDIT 2: You haven't included the -composite flag in the script when executing the process. Looking through the code now to understand what you're doing when you execute the process.

FINAL EDIT: Fixed the issue. Added the -composite flag to the script and removed the "alpha" prefix to the resulting filename since you want to replace the non alpha converted image and not add another file. Let me know if you want me to send you the fixed script.

• Jarov27Jarov27 Posts: 6

mCasual said:

i could integrate your changes and update mcj what's the mcjDenoise and also post your version intact

Here's the updated script. I never changed the mac version. It used the mcjDenoise latest version at the time, so I don't know if you've made any changes since then.

zip
    zip
    mcasual.zip