How to install Ptex?

jorge dorlandojorge dorlando Posts: 1,156
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello,
I downloaded the latest version: v2.0.41 Apr 9, 2013
http://ptex.us/download.html
I want to use this for poser characters if possible.
once downloaded, do not locate the install setup to start the installation.
someone here has experience with it?

Comments

• TjebTjeb Posts: 507
    edited December 1969

It will probably not work, or work only on the given examples.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/33657/

• jorge dorlandojorge dorlando Posts: 1,156
    edited December 1969

what a pity!
    I thought my problem was solved with this app
    Thank

• TjebTjeb Posts: 507
    edited December 1969

What problem?

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

You don't need to "install" Ptex in Studio; 4.6 versions already know about it. What you do need is an object with associated Ptex files for the diffuse/normal/whatever channels. You have to create these Ptex files in some other tool that supports creating them (like 3DCoat). Since Ptex files are specific to the mesh they were painted on, you can't simply use one Ptex file on any arbitrary object. Once you have the Ptex files, you load them as the texture file in Studio like you would any other imagemap on a channel. They won't show in the viewport window, however; only at render time.

edited December 1969

tjeb said:
    What problem?

I wanted to paint a eyebrows, and beard looks for a character
    is a character with nearly 500,000 polygnos / vertices / points etc.

Render_1_modified.png
    1000 x 593 - 248K
  • RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited January 2014

If the character is UV mapped any 3D / 2D painting software should suffice. If not, then PTEX could work as it is not depending on UV maps, but you'd need software that is capable of creating the PTEX files like 3D-Coat. An alternative could be modeled hair for the eyebrows / beard, though not sure if that would work for you.

Post edited by Renpatsu on
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    You don't need to "install" Ptex in Studio; 4.6 versions already know about it. What you do need is an object with associated Ptex files for the diffuse/normal/whatever channels. You have to create these Ptex files in some other tool that supports creating them (like 3DCoat). Since Ptex files are specific to the mesh they were painted on, you can't simply use one Ptex file on any arbitrary object. Once you have the Ptex files, you load them as the texture file in Studio like you would any other imagemap on a channel. They won't show in the viewport window, however; only at render time.

Now, I thought this was about any 3d model ...

edited December 1969

Renpatsu said:
    If the character is UV mapped any 3D / 2D painting software should suffice. If not, then PTEX could work as it is not depending on UV maps, but you'd need software that is capable of creating the PTEX files like 3D-Coat. An alternative could be modeled hair for the eyebrows / beard, though not sure if that would work for you.

This is a high resolution model, mesh and it almost does not fit in uvmapper free, and he also uses the same skin color to the head, neck, and hands.
    if you change the texture of the hands, it automatically changes the color of the neck, and head / face etc..
    edited December 1969

here some one render

seg_copy.jpg
    1000 x 567 - 88K
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

BTW, ptex is a function of the renderer. DS itself does not handle the ptex, 3Delight does.

Kendall