Victoria 6 imported to Poser using DSON - invisible figure problem

RayDreamerRayDreamer Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi

Sorry for being so dense, I know this has been on another thread, but I have read up all I can and none of it makes any sense at all.

I want to use Victoria 6 in Poser 10.

I have setup DSON in poser using the DAZ installer - it seems to be there as under poser's SCRIPTS tab there is "DSON support" on the list.

I use the "+running man" folder icon to locate Victoria 6 on my desktop and click on it.
It says "That folder doesn't seem to be a runtime folder"
So I look inside the Victoria 6 folder until i can click on a runtime folder and it seems to accept that.

So now I have the Victoria 6 icon in the library/ content / daz people, "Size 544.4kb , installed 3.8.2014 etc".

When I click on Victoria 6 to use her in a poser scene, a dialog box pops up briefly saying something like "Loading CR2", but no figure appears.

If I click on the MATERIAL tab in Poser I get the skin previews like she's been run over by a bus, but no figure.

Please can someone explain in the most basic terms how i can fix this? If it it's problematic just importing a figure I'm filled with dread at how difficult it will be to use the rest of the program...! I've tried looking in the Poser folders for clues as to where it keeps characters but it seems to have the weirdest file structure I've ever seen - folder within folder within folder that go on forever...!

thanks!

steve

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

1. Did you install "Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials" and its PoserCF, as well as both "Victoria 6" and its PoserCF?
    2. What is the full path to the Runtime which was accepted by Poser?

• RayDreamerRayDreamer Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi thanks for your help...

I used DAZ installer to install everything. In the list amongst other stuff was:

vic 6
    vic6 poser cf
    genesis 2 DMC,
    female starter essentials,
    ditto starter essentials poser cf

Poser 10 is in

c:/program files/smith micro/poser10

and I pointed the DAZ installer to the overall Poser10 folder.

In Poser, when browsing for a folder to add content, poser accepted

... desktop/victoria 6/content/runtime

Steve

poser_folder.png
    429 x 110 - 3K
    daz_installed_items.png
    221 x 157 - 24K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

So the DSON Importer is installed in the Poser application folder, and the content is installed on the desktop?

• judee3djudee3d Posts: 171
    edited December 1969

Just wanted to mention I am having the same problem, with Genesis. I've never used Genesis in Poser, but a friend was having problems getting it to load, in her Poser, so I thought I could help her figure it out.

I installed DSON into the correct Poser directory. It shows up under scripts. (as did hers)

I installed the updates for Genesis starter essentials in my Daz Library. I linked the Poser Library to my Daz Library. The Poser Companiion files all show up in Poser. When I try to load Genesis, I get a popup telling me it cannot find the dson importer files. Not the actual files, the dson files. What does that mean? Is there a glitch in the latest build? All my builds/files are up to date, current public builds.

Btw, I used DIM to install DSON, pointing it to the Poser directory, same as if I were going to install on my own.

• islandgurl31islandgurl31 Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

Did you install both the Genesis Starter Essentials and Genesis Starter Essentials PCF Files into your DAZ Library? Hopefully I got it right and if not hopefully someone else will come along and see what I missed :-).

judee3d said:
    Just wanted to mention I am having the same problem, with Genesis. I've never used Genesis in Poser, but a friend was having problems getting it to load, in her Poser, so I thought I could help her figure it out.

I installed DSON into the correct Poser directory. It shows up under scripts. (as did hers)

I installed the updates for Genesis starter essentials in my Daz Library. I linked the Poser Library to my Daz Library. The Poser Companiion files all show up in Poser. When I try to load Genesis, I get a popup telling me it cannot find the dson importer files. Not the actual files, the dson files. What does that mean? Is there a glitch in the latest build? All my builds/files are up to date, current public builds.

Btw, I used DIM to install DSON, pointing it to the Poser directory, same as if I were going to install on my own.

Genesis_Starter_Essentials.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 329K
    edited December 1969

Hi islandgurl, thanks for replying. Yes, I installed both into my Daz library, same one. It does show up in the Poser Library, it just won't load. Sends an error message about the dson importer. I may try to reproduce when I am back on my main PC, see the exact message and list that here, but it was definitely saying something about not finding a dson file or connection.

So the problem "seems" to be with the importer, but I installed that into my Poser directory as instructed. My friend did the same thing. In her case, her Poser directory is in ProgramFiles, so I thought maybe that was the problem, as she is also having problems running any kind of scripts. But my Poser is installed in a folder directly on the C drive, so PF can't be the problem.

Which is why I am wondering if it could be some kind of glitch or incompatibility problem. I have the latest public build of DS intalled. The DSON should be the latest also, as I used the Daz Install Manager to install it. (And yes, double checked, it went to the right place, and checked the Poser folder after to be sure all the files are there.)

I'm curious if Steve, the original poster found the solution? Has anyone else run into this problem and found how to fix it? Any help wold be appreciated. It's not that big a problem for me, as I am very comfortable using Daz Studio, but my friend only uses Poser. I've tried to get her to try DS ;) but she says she's too old and tired to try to learn a new program. However, she does have a few Genesis items she bought awhile back and wants to use them, is finally getting tired of V4, and didn't find enough support for another figure she tried.

It makes me wonder how many potential customers who use Poser are running into problems and then just giving up.

Again, any help is appreciated.

• RayDreamerRayDreamer Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Still struggling >:-(

Started using Reality for poser and it's really useless - you can 't even see the light effects in Poser , you have to render the scene! Back to 1987 and my first DTP system that wasn't WYSIWYG... If I 'd known this I wouldn't have bought Poser .. this is worse than the old DOS days when computing was complicated - I thought things had moved on since then....

The DSON importer is in c:program files/smithmicro/poser10/runtime/python/addons/dson
    I didn't put it there, thats where DAZ installer put it .

Victoria 6 is on the desktop, and she was also imported using the DAZ installer. She seems to be in

c:program files/smithmicro/poser10/victoria 6 as well just to make sure.

What I really need to know is,
    A./ What files does Poser need, and
    B./ Where should l I put them.

thanks for your help!

Steve

edited December 1969

Steve, since I'm having a problem with dson I can't help with any problems related to that, but for the Genesis files, they should not be installed into the Program Files, especially if you have Win 7 or 8. They need to be in a "writable" area. The easiest place is to make a folder on your HD, be it on C or another, or even on your desktop. Name the folder something like DazContent or Genesis, or whatever.

First thing to install are the Starter Essentials. Open DIM and click the settings circle at the top right next to help. On the Downloads tab, be sure both Daz 4.5 and Poser 9 are selected, so DIM will see the files. On the installation tab, click the add button to add a pathway and point it to the DazContent folder you created. Click accept,

To make it easier to find the Starter Essentials, go to the search box at the top and type in Starter Essentials. You should then see 6 files in the Ready to download, unless you have installed them already somewhere else. If so, check them all and click on the green button and they will automatically uninstall and return to the ready to download tab. You should see both DS files and PoserCF files. Check them all, but before you download, open the Ready to Install tab, check the info at the bottom, and make sure the install path is selected to the Daz Content folder. Back to the download tab, you can select all the folders and download them (green button, start queu at bottom) You can check the Install After Download button and they will automatically install - that is why I said to first check that the files are set to install into your Daz Content folder.

In Poser, look at your Libraries and click the little add folder near the top right, and guide it to the Daz Content folder you created. This should then show a runtime for Daz Content. (or whatever you named the folder)

One thing I am sure of, with the Starter Essentials, both the Daz Genesis and the PoserCF files must be installed. I would assume that all other content that is to work in Poser needs to be installed in the same manner, both the Daz versions and the PoserCF files, all into that one folder.

I halfway remember that someone told me you could get by with only the Poser CF files on the rest of the content, but you would need confirmation from someone else on that. More than likely you need both, but I may be wrong. i do know you need both for the starter essentials.

I'll be interested in hearing if yours work after this. V5 and V6 do need the Starter essentials installed into the same runtime to work, so you should uninstall V6 from Program Files and reinstall using the path to the Daz Content.

If you still have problems loading, note the error message, please.

• paxpax Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

That TOTALLY worked after days of frustration. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

• davidcaputokeenedavidcaputokeene Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

judee - I was struggling with getting Genesis to load on Poser 2014 for hours and this just solved the issue. Thanks.