Any way to get Daz Studio 3?

DrDurrDrDurr Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

It's been like forever since I've used Daz 3, and I uninstalled it to make room on my low-end PC. I recently was looking into Photo Dojo for DSi/3DS, and wanted to make a character using Daz, but I'm worried my machine won't be able to handle 4.

Is there any legal way to get Daz 3?

Comments

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,642
    edited March 2014

Did you get DAZ Studio 3 through the DAZ store or register it at DAZ? If so, it should be listed in your 'My Account >.Product Library'. Click on the listing for it and that should take you to a page with the download links,

Charlie

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

What he said.. plus type "daz studio" in the filter box.. I can even download DS2 if I ever wanted it for some reason..

• DrDurrDrDurr Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I go in to the Product Librart, but it only gives me "Base Content", does this include the program?

edited December 1969

If you don't find this then you don't have it available

DS3.jpg
    907 x 950 - 208K
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,642
    edited March 2014

The exact wording at least in my product library is 'Daz Studio 3.1.2.23 (inactive)'

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

You should have something like this:

ds3.jpg
    664 x 224 - 67K
    edited December 1969

It begs the question though.. What do you need DS3 for that DS4 can't do? As far as I know only only a couple shader plug-ins, and you can't save uber environment light sets in DS4 that DS3 will read. If you need to save .dsa format matfiles or shader presets DS4 can do that by choosing legacy format instead of regular.

edited March 2014

Fisty said:
    It begs the question though.. What do you need DS3 for that DS4 can't do? As far as I know only only a couple shader plug-ins, and you can't save uber environment light sets in DS4 that DS3 will read. If you need to save .dsa format matfiles or shader presets DS4 can do that by choosing legacy format instead of regular.

I was worried that my low-end machine would struggle with it, but I'll give it a shot.
    If my old iBook could run 3, I guess this would run 4.

Post edited by DrDurr on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

I keep a copy because there are number of plugins that have never been updated for DS4 and I have characters that use DS3A's figure mixer that was dropped from DS4. Figures created using figure mixer do not work and play well in DS4.

edited December 1969

Yeah, give it a try.. I don't think there's a huge difference in ram needed for the actual program.. the trouble comes with lots of things loaded at once. Using Genesis 1 would be your best bet as that's the lowest poly figure that's reasonably current.

edited December 1969

Does the Content Manager only run when Daz is open?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

DrDurr said:

No, by default it starts with the OS, although you can configure it not to and start it manually.

edited December 1969

DrDurr said:

No, by default it starts with the OS, although you can configure it not to and start it manually.

Is that an option in the Studio, or through a different program?

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    Yeah, give it a try.. I don't think there's a huge difference in ram needed for the actual program.. the trouble comes with lots of things loaded at once. Using Genesis 1 would be your best bet as that's the lowest poly figure that's reasonably current.

I think there is a real difference in ram needed

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

DrDurr said:
    It's been like forever since I've used Daz 3, and I uninstalled it to make room on my low-end PC. I recently was looking into Photo Dojo for DSi/3DS, and wanted to make a character using Daz, but I'm worried my machine won't be able to handle 4.

no one answered that question till now
    I am interested also
    can we get it somewhere ?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

ruphuss said:
    DrDurr said:

I am interested also

No legal way to get it unless you had previously purchased it, so that it is already in your Product library. If you previously had the free version and it isn't in your library, then contacting DAZ 3D Customer support would be the only way to go, but I am not promising that they will be able to do anything for you. It is worth a try.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited March 2014

chohole said:
    ruphuss said:
    DrDurr said:

I am interested also

No legal way to get it unless you had previously purchased it, so that it is already in your Product library. If you previously had the free version and it isn't in your library, then contacting DAZ 3D Customer support would be the only way to go, but I am not promising that they will be able to do anything for you. It is worth a try.

Purchasing an actual printed back issue, with physical media disk, of a magazine that had it would be the only legal way I know of...(sealed, of course).

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

Several of the 3D art magazines that have e versions of magazine do offer limited download links of the files on the physical disk. Check through Zino.

• somefunoksomefunok Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

I have DS3 and I would like to install it on my computer as I also have some products that won't work in DS4 but in my list of serial numbers it says the serial number is inactive >> retired, does that mean I wouldn't be able to use the serial number if I installed it?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

somefunok said:
    I have DS3 and I would like to install it on my computer as I also have some products that won't work in DS4 but in my list of serial numbers it says the serial number is inactive >> retired, does that mean I wouldn't be able to use the serial number if I installed it?

No it just means that the product has been retired. Both the product and the serial number will still work.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    chohole said:
    ruphuss said:
    DrDurr said:

I am interested also

Purchasing an actual printed back issue, with physical media disk, of a magazine that had it would be the only legal way I know of...(sealed, of course).

You know, of all the 3D magazines I've purchased in the stores, not one was ever "sealed". We always check the envelope to make sure the disk is still in there before dropping the $.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    chohole said:
    ruphuss said:
    DrDurr said:

I am interested also

You know, of all the 3D magazines I've purchased in the stores, not one was ever "sealed". We always check the envelope to make sure the disk is still in there before dropping the $.

Even if the disk was present, there was no guarantee it worked. On more than one occasion I ended up with bad disks and it was difficult to get a replacement.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    mjc1016 said:
    chohole said:
    ruphuss said:
    DrDurr said:

I am interested also

Even if the disk was present, there was no guarantee it worked. On more than one occasion I ended up with bad disks and it was difficult to get a replacement.

So far so good on that score but yeah. One time, for the V5 give away there were some missing poses and the magazine company did make good on their offer. But one was basically sitting there reading the magazine hoping one's typing ksilsl were good enough to match the questions to get the download.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,053
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    mjc1016 said:
    chohole said:
    ruphuss said:
    DrDurr said:

I am interested also

I think if magazine sealed is ok too
    idea being disc has not been used by another and activated
    if NOT sealed and secondhand no guarantee it has not been

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,135
    edited December 1969

How does a PA or Vendor test their product for backward compatibility if they do not have or cannot get hold of DS3 (or Poser 6 for that matter)?

I am putting the finishing touches to a product which works in DS4.6 and PP2012, but without earlier versions of the software I cannot really guarantee it will work in them. (I actually have DS2, but took a bit of a sabbatical so missed out on DS3 altogether.)

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Cayman said:
    How does a PA or Vendor test their product for backward compatibility if they do not have or cannot get hold of DS3 (or Poser 6 for that matter)?

I am putting the finishing touches to a product which works in DS4.6 and PP2012, but without earlier versions of the software I cannot really guarantee it will work in them. (I actually have DS2, but took a bit of a sabbatical so missed out on DS3 altogether.)

They don't. The ones that do make products that work with versions below DS4 would have already had a copy of DS3 to work with when it was freely available. You could generate dsa files from DS4 for maybe material files, but DS4 is really the supported version and has been for several years now.

edited December 1969

Cayman said:

It is also why you have beta testers who have legacy versions of software available to them. You should also have beta testers for the obvious reasons. I've beta tested for numerous vendors over years. My testing system gives me access to DS versions 1 to the current public release and Poser from P4/PPP to P10 and all Pro versions from the original to 2014.

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,135
    edited December 1969

Male-M3dia, I developed the product with .duf files, then thought I'd better do a Poser version, so I produced the .cr2, pp2 and mc6 files, and finally I did some .dsa files for the DAZ MATs. So my guess is that it will probably work in DS3 and Poser 6, but 'probably' does not sound very professional. :coolsmirk:

My fear is that there is some obscure surface or material setting or some other minor innovation which would compromise the integrity of the product if loaded into an older version. But perhaps newer vendors either have to put up with fewer sales or just brazen it out and keep their fingers crossed!

icprncss, yes, the beta-testers would pick up any problems, but only after the product had been submitted, and it may prove too unwieldy to unpick.

But I am new to this, and I am probably fretting unduly, but it seems to me that it would make the development of products a lot easier if we could legitimately get our hands on these earlier versions.

• nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Something I've noticed is that many vendors will put a disclaimer on their products, stating what versions of programs it's been tested in.

edited December 1969

Cayman said:
    Male-M3dia, I developed the product with .duf files, then thought I'd better do a Poser version, so I produced the .cr2, pp2 and mc6 files, and finally I did some .dsa files for the DAZ MATs. So my guess is that it will probably work in DS3 and Poser 6, but 'probably' does not sound very professional. :coolsmirk:

My fear is that there is some obscure surface or material setting or some other minor innovation which would compromise the integrity of the product if loaded into an older version. But perhaps newer vendors either have to put up with fewer sales or just brazen it out and keep their fingers crossed!

icprncss, yes, the beta-testers would pick up any problems, but only after the product had been submitted, and it may prove too unwieldy to unpick.

But I am new to this, and I am probably fretting unduly, but it seems to me that it would make the development of products a lot easier if we could legitimately get our hands on these earlier versions.

I'm not sure what you mean by "unwieldy to unpick". Beta testing is done well before you get to submission. Often times I beta test products while the vendor is still working on the products. Beta testers are you first line of defense not the last line. They find all the little quirks, errors and boo boo's so you can fix them long before a product gets to QA or, Heaven forbid, the store.

If you are planning listing a product as working in DS3 and up and/or Poser 6 and up, then the products should be tested in all those versions.

Poser was never free (except for P5 on a long weekend just before the P6 release and Poser Debut for one day last December). Poser 6 is long out of print as is Poser 7. Even if you purchased them from eFrontier, you wouldn't be able to get a download. When SMS acquired Poser and it's assets, they gave CP members 30 days to download their order history before they killed the links. If you didn't buy back up CD's or back up your own before the end of that time, you were out of luck.

DAZ might give you a link to DS3 as the standard version was free at downloads.com. You would have to submit a ticket, explain the issue and see what they say.

Odd question but did you even do any beta testing on your product?