LIE causes tdlmake to run forever and fill temp storage disc

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited March 2014

I can pin point it on my PC. the Update to DS 4.6.2.118, same scene file in DS 4.6.2.117 worked fine but crashed TDLmake on load in 118. Same day with no Windows update.

I'm a big overlay user so it is really slowing my work down.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,064
    edited December 1969

Hmmm..interesting...

edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Hmmm..interesting...
    I can not use the Zev0 sets at all... which I do in most characters... Same for Tattoo's and all other LIE or LIE type files. All go into the loop. If a file has a overlay its a hit or miss depending on if it will happen as a full hang loop or just a short loop several times. Either one is a pain to remove and move on in my work.
    edited March 2014

I feel your pain. And even if its a small simple overlay applied, it starts cycling. Now imagine trying to make an LIE product while this happens lol. That was my lovely experience this month and has seriously put me behind.. Could not test anything because everything was so slow. But yes, hope Daz comes out with an official solution to the problem. Wonder what will happen if you role back DS version installation..

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

Only Version I do not have all my install files for is the last full one. Don't it figure? I could miss Measure metrics but need a couple of the others I did not DL manual for back up.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,933
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    I feel your pain. And even if its a small simple overlay applied, it starts cycling. Now imagine trying to make an LIE product while this happens lol. That was my lovely experience this month and has seriously put me behind.. Could not test anything because everything was so slow. But yes, hope Daz comes out with an official solution to the problem. Wonder what will happen if you role back DS version installation..

Is there any way to roll back when you use DIM to install the update?
    edited December 1969

Nope.. This is why I download each version manually and store in my archive.

edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Nope.. This is why I download each version manually and store in my archive.

Hmmm. I think that sounds smart! I'd better change my process. I assume I can still install with DIM, but download and save each manual installer version, too, in case of disaster.
    edited December 1969

Ye it comes in handy, specially in cases where you need to troubleshoot to see if a specific issue is version related etc.

edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Ye it comes in handy, specially in cases where you need to troubleshoot to see if a specific issue is version related etc.
    Please, I have not stopped kicking myself for my over site with DS .117. In my defense it was a short lived version and I was still testing it when .118 came out. No idea why I leaped on .118 without doing the full monty for .117 first.
    I now put it down as a lesson well learned...
    edited December 1969

Lol...Well, you could always try the beta...

edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Lol...Well, you could always try the beta...
    Sorry Zev0, no hand install means no install to this PC. Just not a practice I plan to get into. Nothing against DIM but programs are mine and not a Install Managers. Plugins depend...
    edited March 2014

Well you could always use dim just do download it, and look in the folder for the install files, and do it manually. Dim only installs if you say so. Until then it just downloads the installer.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited March 2014

Jaderail said:
    Zev0 said:
    Please, I have not stopped kicking myself for my over site with DS .117. In my defense it was a short lived version and I was still testing it when .118 came out. No idea why I leaped on .118 without doing the full monty for .117 first.
    Oh, now I remember 117! That was the one where I found the repeated tools toolbar icons. I think it was live for only about 2 days. Nothing in the 118 change log gives any clue to an LIE change, that I can see. Of course we only see a sanitized change log.
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Well you could always use dim just do download it, and look in the folder for the install files, and do it manually. Dim only installs if you say so. Until then it just downloads the installer.
    If you keep making sense my brain deadness will start to show, wait I think it has... NM.
    edited December 1969

Lol Jaderail....

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Jaderail said:
    Zev0 said:

Oh, now I remember 117! That was the one where I found the repeated tools toolbar icons. I think it was live for only about 2 days. Nothing in the 118 change log gives any clue to an LIE change, that I can see. Of course we only see a sanitized change log.

When I brought up the issue with Daz they said LIE was unchanged...

edited March 2014

If TDLmake was erroring before 117 it never hit my system as it does in 118. The same scene file from a DS4.5+ version using the Zev0 Overlays can and does send my PC into a None Responsive state. I was able to load and render the scene files at the time they were created. I do know I have a normal Win7 Pro OS installed and had no win updates when my scene file crashed TDLmake from version to version of DAZ Studio. If it was happening before it was a short loop that ended before I noticed and I probably put the screen lag response down to smoothing on clothing at the time. So in all honesty I guess I truly can not pin point the start of the error. I just do know it is now a issue I can see. None Responsive is what happens for a full loop hang of TDLmake.

I felt I should include the above for full disclosure.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,053
    edited December 1969

I have a stupid suggestion based on an experience I had once with dynamic clothing control not installing
    delete all your .dll files from plugins after uninstalling Daz studio before reinstalling it
    they remain untouched abd might not be updating as they should
    mine would not once

edited March 2014

Did that and the issue still remained on my system. I even cleaned out the registry when I had the problem.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited March 2014

I have a stupid suggestion based on an experience I had once with dynamic clothing control not installing
    delete all your .dll files from plugins after uninstalling Daz studio before reinstalling it
    they remain untouched abd might not be updating as they should
    mine would not once

That's semi-true.

It depends on how they were installed, whether or not they will be deleted by the Studio uninstaller. If they were installed with the Studio installer (and 3delight and its associated files IS)), then it will uninstall them. If they were installed by DIM..then it should take the plugins out too.

One thing to try, for a test...if you have the stand alone 3DL. Rename the tdlmake in the Studio4/bin folder to tdlmake.bak and then copy the tdlmake from the stand alone 3DL bin folder to the studio one (yes, tdlmake in the standalone will be a different version...but that's usually not a problem). If it runs without choking then it is definitely the version of tdlmake included with DS that's the root of the problem (possibly triggered by a Windows update...the version of tdlmake in the most recent standalone is later than the tiff update in December...the version in DS may be before...I haven't looked at the dates, so I'm not sure).

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited March 2014

Thank you for the Info. Just might give that one a whirl in the morning after a cuppa or two. No time to do big test right now as I'm cooking and do not wish to forget and burn dinner, again.

Note to self: Test TDL's from other versions you do have as well. The Plugins will not be needed, just the one file.

edited December 1969

I have been thinking about this. It has been confirmed the issue is only a Windows issue. What else might we all have in common? Mother Board type? CPU's or even other?
    I'm an Asus MB.
    My CPU is the Intel i7-3970X
    My OS is Win7 Pro at full updates
    My GPU is the nVidia GeForce GTX 690 should not apply here but?
    My Ram is DDR3 at 8x8

Do we all have anything in common beyond OS?

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

I've had another problem with tdlmake since, well... 4.5 or so. I think it probably only bothers content creators, but if I update texture files (change contrast in PS and resave, etc) too many times (whatever it decides is too many, I've had it mess up after a couple times, sometimes it takes more) it eventually stops noticing that I changed the file and stops running tdlmake to generate new ones. The little display of it on the surface tab will look like the new one but when I render it uses the old one. I have to save the scene and restart DS to get to play nice again. It seems to happen more with the support maps than with the diffuse maps. It makes fine tuning bump or specular maps really hard 'cause it's not always obvious is you changes actually took. I end up saving out bump1a, bump1b, bump 1c, etc and then renaming the good one bump1 and deleting all the rest when I'm done but that's a pain when it really should work like it's supposed to.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    I've had another problem with tdlmake since, well... 4.5 or so. I think it probably only bothers content creators, but if I update texture files (change contrast in PS and resave, etc) too many times (whatever it decides is too many, I've had it mess up after a couple times, sometimes it takes more) it eventually stops noticing that I changed the file and stops running tdlmake to generate new ones. The little display of it on the surface tab will look like the new one but when I render it uses the old one. I have to save the scene and restart DS to get to play nice again. It seems to happen more with the support maps than with the diffuse maps. It makes fine tuning bump or specular maps really hard 'cause it's not always obvious is you changes actually took. I end up saving out bump1a, bump1b, bump 1c, etc and then renaming the good one bump1 and deleting all the rest when I'm done but that's a pain when it really should work like it's supposed to.

I've always had that happen...even back in DS 3.0. For me, the auto-update of the image files was never reliable enough to count on it. I've been doing the 'add a version number' to the image file forever. Clearing the undo stack seems to help, sometimes...so I think it's more of a DS/number of files it can deal with problem than one with tdlmake, itself

edited December 1969

How do you clear the undo stack?

edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    How do you clear the undo stack?
    They included a Script for it in the New DS4.6.2 its the Clear Memory one. Before that I used one from Adamr001 that did it. Yep has been a issue back to DS3 or longer.
    edited December 1969

thanks guys =)

(more than 10 characters?)

edited December 1969

Not Following? Is Purge Memory leaving files with more than 10 characters in the name? It should clear all except those in use at the time. If not its not working properly.

edited December 1969

You have to type certain number of characters into a post before it will let you actually post it.. other forums I haunt have a 10 character minimum, this one seems to require slightly more.