OT: Mickey Rooney

LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,189
edited April 2014 in The Commons

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

How sad.. But he will live on though his huge catalog of work.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,325
    edited December 1969

We've lost another legend.

Alex.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,189
    edited April 2014

Alex.

But kids under 30 probably don't even recognize the name.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited December 1969

Only if they remember him as being one of the old guys from "Night at the museum" . Though when you look at his credits he kept his hand in till the end.

• sfaa69sfaa69 Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

IMDB shows his first film in 1926 and his last still in production. That's an awesome long time! And it looks like he was working the whole time, without as many as two consecutive years going by that he wasn't in something. Eight wives and nine(?) children, as well.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Very sad.

Even sadder that most of the younger generation won't even know who he was as was mentioned.

edited December 1969

Now that I'm retired and on a fixed income of limited power, I don't do a lot of travelling, or eating out, or nightclubbing. My newly found gastric intolerances to alcohol, sugar, and fats means my eating habits are pretty unexciting. My arthritis limits my amount of walking. My fragile skin limits the amount of time I can tolerate the sun. But I can still read and watch TV. So fortunately, modern TV channels include a few places to watch the old movies. Many of them that were not very old when I was new.

I've enjoyed catching up on some of the old classics from the 30s and 40s. If you can tolerate the 15 minute long scenes of extended dialog and don't need an action "fix" every 3 minutes, some of them were really quite introspective and mean a lot more to me now that I've had the experience to understand the nuances. Yet, I admit some the oldies that I used to enjoy when I saw them 40 or 50 years ago now seem rather naïve, pale and empty. There's good and bad in all ages.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I saw this in my NY Times Headlines eNewsletter earlier. The man was a true talent, and will be missed.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hmm... is it a bad sign that all my favorite people I grew up watching are moving on? I think I'm starting to understand the old thing now...
    He as like so many others will live on in memory and on, for me, the Hallmark Channel.

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

Mickey Rooney, RIP.

... Yet, I admit some the oldies that I used to enjoy when I saw them 40 or 50 years ago now seem rather naïve, pale and empty...

But were they really? Just because they didn't "go there" with all the blood, guts, gore, sex, and assorted other TMI we're constantly subjected to in today's media, does that REALLY mean they were naive, pale, or empty? Think about it for a moment. Coming out of two World Wars, you'd have to figure that horrible things were seen and experienced by many people. They were. They were just wisely ... ignored by Hollywood.

Maybe they were just adhering to a fictional cultural decency of the times. Maybe they hid the seedy underbelly, or maybe they really did have more elegance and class than the producers and actors of today.

Hollywood and the other major media now just choose to ignore the opposite things, and that's why I don't watch very many new movies. Besides, the common man and woman have all the tools and better imaginations! If you doubt me, just peruse YouTube. You'll see a lot of chaff, but there are also some real gems. I rather enjoy a well-told ten minute story on YouTube much more than sitting in an expensive theatre eating expensive popcorn with fake butter (since the real stuff is illegal or something now) and drinking a $4 16 ounce bottle of water while some nearby dork texts or talks during the film.

edited December 1969

Just because they didn’t “go there” with all the blood, guts, gore, sex, and assorted other TMI we’re constantly subjected to in today’s media, does that REALLY mean they were naive, pale, or empty?

Yes, absolutely some of them were. Keep in mind that the system has changed from way back in the day. Now productions take months and occasionally years, but back in the old movie system they cranked them out at an astonishing rate. Different theaters were owned by different studios and they expected new movies in those theaters ever single week. And not just a main feature but the serials and cartoons and shorts as well. When people are pounding out a script or two a month there are bound to be some that are not much more than filler and just as many that were formalistic and underwhelming.

On the other hand movies made prior to censorship coming into vogue were sometimes grittier and sexier than many people give them credit for. Every time people start carping on about "skip wear" on today's women and harking back to a more innocent age I want to drag them to look at the movies made in the 30's when bras on actresses were hit and miss and "skimp wear" was expected fair for any big budget dance movie. The more conservative mores were forced on the public by people by those who thought they knew what was best for everyone else.

Go back and really look at some of the subject matter from the silent films and you will see that they were not unwilling to tackle the really gritty "tmi" subjects head.

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    Just because they didn’t “go there” with all the blood, guts, gore, sex, and assorted other TMI we’re constantly subjected to in today’s media, does that REALLY mean they were naive, pale, or empty?

Yes, absolutely some of them were. Keep in mind that the system has changed from way back in the day. Now productions take months and occasionally years, but back in the old movie system they cranked them out at an astonishing rate. Different theaters were owned by different studios and they expected new movies in those theaters ever single week. And not just a main feature but the serials and cartoons and shorts as well. When people are pounding out a script or two a month there are bound to be some that are not much more than filler and just as many that were formalistic and underwhelming.

On the other hand movies made prior to censorship coming into vogue were sometimes grittier and sexier than many people give them credit for. Every time people start carping on about "skip wear" on today's women and harking back to a more innocent age I want to drag them to look at the movies made in the 30's when bras on actresses were hit and miss and "skimp wear" was expected fair for any big budget dance movie. The more conservative mores were forced on the public by people by those who thought they knew what was best for everyone else.

Go back and really look at some of the subject matter from the silent films and you will see that they were not unwilling to tackle the really gritty "tmi" subjects head.

Okay, I get you. But I wasn't referring to "skimpwear" as a bad thing, and yes I already know that Hollywood has always sold sex. ;-)

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128
    edited December 1969

I was disappointed with the Oscars not showing any clips of Shirley Temple movies... just one passing photo. Maybe they will do a better job of honoring the memory of Mickey Rooney instead of passing around pizza and taking selfies.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,325
    edited December 1969

Alex.

Sadly, almost certainly true. He still managed to get a major obituary in today's edition of "The Times", though.

• GeroblueJimGeroblueJim Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Alex.

Sadly, almost certainly true. He still managed to get a major obituary in today's edition of "The Times", though.

I mentioned his passing at work, and two under 30s knew about him.

So all is not lost.

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 909
    edited December 1969

Yeah, with the death of Sid Caesar and Mickey Rooney the world is a little less mad, now!

Mad_Mad_World.jpg
    600 x 450 - 254K
  • Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

MrPoser said:
    I was disappointed with the Oscars not showing any clips of Shirley Temple movies... just one passing photo. Maybe they will do a better job of honoring the memory of Mickey Rooney instead of passing around pizza and taking selfies.

Don't count on it. "The Academy" being what it is, (all the people currently making movies) they are too self absorbed and enlightened to pay much attention to someone not in their little club. That's why I don't watch their little awards show anymore. What Rooney has going for him is that he stayed active in films til the end, so he might have a few friends with some influence with the show.

edited April 2014

MarcCCTx said:
    Yeah, with the death of Sid Caesar and Mickey Rooney the world is a little less mad, now!

Yeah, that just about finishes the list of greats in "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World"
    Us "ancient ones" remember...
    Spencer Tracy
    Milton Berle
    Sid Caesar
    Buddy Hacket
    Ethel Merman
    Mickey Rooney
    Dick Shawn
    Terry-Thomas
    Jonathan Winters
    Edie Adams
    Dorothy Provine
    "Rochester"
    Jim Backus
    Ben Blue
    Joe E. Brown
    Alan Carney
    Chick Chandler
    Lloyd Corrigan
    William Demarest
    Andy Devine
    Selma Diamond
    Peter Falk
    Norman Fell
    Paul Ford
    Stan Freberg
    Leo Gorcy
    Sterling Holloway
    Marvin Kaplan
    Edward Everett Horton
    Buster Keaton
    Don Knotts
    Mike Mazurki
    Charles McGraw
    Cliff Norton
    Zasu Pitts
    Madlyn Rhue
    Roy Roberts
    Arnold Stang
    Nick Stewart
    The Three Stooges
    Sammee Tong
    Jesse White
    Jimmy Durante
    Jack Benny
    and many many more!!!

About the only greats still alive from that movie are Carl Reiner and Jerry Lewis.
    But considering that was 1963, anybody over 30 then would be over 80 now.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on