The Strange Case of the Lingering Eyebrows

Greetings - I used Photoshop to reduce the eyebrows for a character. I created new base, trans, bump and glossy/top coat images with the new eyebrows. I then loaded the new jpegs in base, translucency, glossy layered weight, base bump and top coat weights for ears, eye sockets, face and lips.

Renders still show the "ghost" eyebrow texture you see in the attached image.

Ideas on what I'm missing, and how to fix? Thanks!

Eyebrow issue 4 2 20.png
500 x 525 - 418K

Comments

• Looks like a displacement map.

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Normal map?

• I have a pretty good idea of the difference between displacement and normal, but how can I determine which maps are displacement vs normal in the Surfaces panel? I have noted that the apparent eyebrow "ghost" changes when I switch the UV set from Base Male to a different one. Thanks

• jpetersen1jpetersen1 Posts: 148
    edited April 2020

There are separate slots for the Opacity Strength, Bump Strength, Displacement Strength and the Normal Map in the Surfaces pane. If there is no map currently loaded, it will be gray with a white down-pointing arrow, but it's still possible to add one by clicking the arrow. Not all assets use all of them, but depending on what it is, adding one can sometimes improve the look of the render.

I think specularity can also be mapped, but as far as I've noticed so far, a map isn't used for that setting as much as the ones I mentioned above.

Often when I change bump-related maps, I forget to update one of them and then, of course, things look wrong.

Post edited by jpetersen1 on