Is there a very basic projection shader available - preferably for free - or a supersimple example f

manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I already have Shades of Life - Urban, and the included "neutral" projection shader.
I used it with a texture from the "Strip-tease Ancient" MAT set for Evilinnocence's bandages, since I had to fumble anyway because I couldn't use the set's MATS. They were made with a poser shader, not only poser material with the usual glossy/bump simply solvable issues, as I noticed too late when unzipping my purchase - but the great textures are worth it. Though for me anyway, mold patches/blood splats look better in a projection touching zones of a couple of adjacent bandage strips at once than as UV following every single strip, it looks fragmented as mold, blood or dirt patches really wouldn't do. Before thinking of projection I tried first replacing Evi's original texture with the Ancient one, and looked on the promo as it should look like with the poser shader - same result, not what I want. So my improvised solution is more to my taste and I prefer the result.

But in the surface panel - or far worse in the shader mixer! - the author's awesome supershader is far too complex for this simple usage, I don't need all the many options for multiple displacement and other stuff I don't even grasp. All I want is a diffuse, maybe 1 displacement since there is no bump, the basics of glossiness, opacity etc - no ??EPs and others. As for doing one myself, I just have a very very basic knowledge of Shadermixer, but didn't see a brick "projection", and wouldn't know if the ones available cover this.

So if someone either knows of a megasimple projection shader, say like DAZ' default with the projection added - or could explain how to create one in simple words, I'd be very thankful. Else I'll just hide all the complicated, unused panels... ~

Comments

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

I don't have that product and I am not sure what it does exactly. Do you mean you would like a gel light? There used to be a Shader Mixer recipe in the old forums for gel lights, but I can't reach them now. My attempts at recreating one are failing miserably (I don't see the image for one, even setting light intensity at 1 million, just a semiuniform colour, and no shadows despite the presence of a shadows brick). Test network for the curious, followed by render result:

GelLight_Render.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 44K
    GelLightTest.png
    1613 x 925 - 97K
  • manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395
    edited December 1969

ReDave said:
    I don't have that product and I am not sure what it does exactly.
    sorry i didn't put on a link, it's Shades of Life - Urban Construct. the creator offers a similar product (still on my wishlist) based on the same system here: Shades of Life - Nature. the shader projects textures on the whole of a surface without using the UVs.
    it's an awesome shader, perfect actually - just too perfect for this simple idea i have, and so complex i wouldn't even know which bricks i don't need so i can delete them ~

Do you mean you would like a gel light? There used to be a Shader Mixer recipe in the old forums for gel lights, but I can't reach them now. My attempts at recreating one are failing miserably (I don't see the image for one, even setting light intensity at 1 million, just a semiuniform colour, and no shadows despite the presence of a shadows brick). Test network for the curious, followed by render result:

you're not completely "offshore" when you think about a light gel, i think the principle (or the result?) is somewhat similar. BUT: afaik, a light gel touches everything in their path, hence the character, and whatever is in the background - except if there was a possibility to restrict which objects are affected, but i think even then, the result is wonky. no, this shader maps the surfaces you pick from an object, like any shader does.

still, thanks for the example of a gel light brick, maybe i'll try that one on a whim ^^
    hmm.. and i think i searched for those recipes once too - if someone could bring them into the new forum...