Fingerprints on lower body of Victoria 8.1 HD Add on

ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
edited January 2021 in The Commons

Anyone knows why is this happen?, I was doing a commision with Victoria 8.1 and my client now is angry due to this issue. meanwhile I can fix using blur in Photoshop or lowering bump and normal maps or any other tricks for not losing my commision the issue is present with this products: Victoria 8.1 HD Add on, Vellus Hair (yep, there is here), was rendered using Headlamp camera only.

Post edited by Zilvergrafix on

Comments

• I haven't played with V8.1 very much. I've been trying to apply the PBR Shader to Genesis 8 stuff, focusing on the Detail channel.

Could the Detail tiling have anything to do with the weird "fingerprint" pattern there? (I'm assuming Victoria 8.1 uses the Detail channel.) I can't think of a good reason for there to be an observable pattern to the skin like that, though.

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385

The Blurst of Times said:

Could the Detail tiling have anything to do with the weird "fingerprint" pattern there? (I'm assuming Victoria 8.1 uses the Detail channel.) I can't think of a good reason for there to be an observable pattern to the skin like that, though.

If were inside that parameter would be a defect in the expensive product, I would like this normals on fingers but not on the entire body!

• Well, I couldn't reproduce this with V8.1 HD, so I couldn't really test a fix myself. I tried a directly facing camera and also slightly askew camera angle... no "fingerprint" pattern.

The Vellus hair doesn't cover the legs, right? So I doubt it's the Vellus hair.

I still think it's the Detail channel due to the repetitive appearance of the defect. I would try turning off the Detail for all of the Skin surfaces to see if that improves the render/removes the pattern. Turning off Normal maps is not ideal, either... but V81 still has the usual Normal maps. The Detail maps are nice to have, but I'm not sure if I really need all the bumps from it, either.

(It is very interesting to look at the Detail Weight maps for Victoria 8.1. I'll be modifying those for my own experiments...)

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,344

Yeah, if I had to guess, it's a Moire pattern from the detail maps.

As is, I had a similar problem with the bump maps on this underwear (which I can promise is not actually part of the bump maps).

I don't recall having had any issue with Moire patterns in the past, but it seems that something may have changed with Iray recently to cause it.

• vukiolvukiol Posts: 66

Zilvergrafix said:

Anyone knows why is this happen?, I was doing a commision with Victoria 8.1 and my client now is angry due to this issue. meanwhile I can fix using blur in Photoshop or lowering bump and normal maps or any other tricks for not losing my commision the issue is present with this products: Victoria 8.1 HD Add on, Vellus Hair (yep, there is here), was rendered using Headlamp camera only.

are you using only headlamp here or there are other light sources?

• vukiolvukiol Posts: 66
    edited January 2021

vukiol said:

Zilvergrafix said:

are you using only headlamp here or there are other light sources?

pffff, nevermind, re-read with brain on 

Post edited by vukiol on

The Blurst of Times said:

Well, I couldn't reproduce this with V8.1 HD, so I couldn't really test a fix myself. I tried a directly facing camera and also slightly askew camera angle... no "fingerprint" pattern.

The Vellus hair doesn't cover the legs, right? So I doubt it's the Vellus hair.

I still think it's the Detail channel due to the repetitive appearance of the defect. I would try turning off the Detail for all of the Skin surfaces to see if that improves the render/removes the pattern. Turning off Normal maps is not ideal, either... but V81 still has the usual Normal maps. The Detail maps are nice to have, but I'm not sure if I really need all the bumps from it, either.

(It is very interesting to look at the Detail Weight maps for Victoria 8.1. I'll be modifying those for my own experiments...)

Ok, thanks for your efforts, and other perspectives related to Detail Channel that I wasn't considered to look laugh 

Matt_Castle said:

Yeah, if I had to guess, it's a Moire pattern from the detail maps.

As is, I had a similar problem with the bump maps on this underwear (which I can promise is not actually part of the bump maps).

I don't recall having had any issue with Moire patterns in the past, but it seems that something may have changed with Iray recently to cause it.

interesting, I'm ok with  Moire Patterns on clothes due to some transparency or Opacity maps emulating fabrics like lycra but not on skin and less in some determined zones, I could approve if that were in all the body but is only on certain zones (hip and low abdomen), not other parts of the body present this Moire. now, an optic illussion like this is a proof that iray is getting more realistical? cheeky

vukiol said:

vukiol said:

are you using only 1-headlamp here or 2-there are other light sources?

pffff, nevermind, re-read with brain on 

No problem, answering your second question, I had a 1.5mt Plane with emmisive but for this render I turned Off, only used Headlamp and Scene Only Mode ON. 

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

This is pretty weird.  I'm glad I decided to let other people find problems with the 8.1s before getting frustrated with them myself.  Until they fix the opacity issues with DS I'm not even using it much with any characters, but this would make me nuts. 

How does it look with G8 vellus hair?  With the new shaders and the HD  morph, I would try it with normals off entirely.

Sevrin said:

This is pretty weird.  I'm glad I decided to let other people find problems with the 8.1s before getting frustrated with them myself.  Until they fix the opacity issues with DS I'm not even using it much with any characters, but this would make me nuts. 

How does it look with G8 vellus hair?  With the new shaders and the HD  morph, I would try it with normals off entirely.

Vellus hairs. for me is nothing to be amazed of but there she is:

If someone interested in how I did this renders all the process will be explained in this video in about 7h39m or Wed27@12am Chicago Time

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Zilvergrafix said:

Sevrin said:

Vellus hairs. for me is nothing to be amazed of but there she is:

If someone interested in how I did this renders all the process will be explained in this video in about 7h39m or Wed27@12am Chicago Time

Vellus hair requires backlighting to be properly visible.  Headlamp won't cut it.  Also, I don't think anyone's going to be eager to follow a tutorial that ends up getting fingerprints all over the character.

• Zilvergrafix said:

The only other place I can think of that might cause something like this is in the Specular Occlusion Enable settings of the new shader. Maybe check that no rogue map has plonked itself in the Ambient Occlusion Weight channel? 

edited January 2021

Sevrin said:

Vellus hair requires backlighting to be properly visible.  Headlamp won't cut it.  Also, I don't think anyone's going to be eager to follow a tutorial that ends up getting fingerprints all over the character.

nobody knows until the end of the video, so, RUN AND TELL THEM!!  laugh

and NO, I did not create such fingerprints, blame daz, not me!, my only guilt was buy the defective product and my video exposes them! angry

Post edited by Zilvergrafix on

Ceridwen said:

The only other place I can think of that might cause something like this is in the Specular Occlusion Enable settings of the new shader. Maybe check that no rogue map has plonked itself in the Ambient Occlusion Weight channel? 

Probably but I'm using default values outside the box, in theory that issues shouldn't be ocurring on a paid product. 

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

First, thanks for your youtube tutorials. They have been very helpful! smiley

Not sure if this will help you, but a similar thing happened on a character, where the arm and nail material were mistakenly used for her face base bump, so there were fingers across her forehead. When I found the correct mat, it fixed the issue. Check and see if the right mat is being used, if you haven't already. That's the only suggestion I can offer. Hope you can get this issue resolved!

dawnblade said:

First, thanks for your youtube tutorials. They have been very helpful! smiley

Not sure if this will help you, but a similar thing happened on a character, where the arm and nail material were mistakenly used for her face base bump, so there were fingers across her forehead. When I found the correct mat, it fixed the issue. Check and see if the right mat is being used, if you haven't already. That's the only suggestion I can offer. Hope you can get this issue resolved!

Very honored! thanks for your support! laugh

about the solution you offer, maybe you're right, is time to get inside the intrincate PBR shader and verify texture by texture, I let you know after if that was the case, thanks, Dawnblade!