Explain to me why I need to buy Michael 8.1

Will someone explain to me in simple bullet points why I need the new Michael 8.1? It seems like it would be beneficial, but I need to justify it to my accounting department in simple words.

Comments

• AtiAti Posts: 9,081

He's the first male character of the new generation. The accounting department of all people should understand that when a new trend starts, it's not beneficial to miss it. :D

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,114
    edited January 2021

• You don't need to buy him, unless you like his shape or skin. All G8M morphs, including HD can be used on 8.1, but expressions that aren't morph expressions are unusable in 8.1, because of the new facial rigging.

• Genesis 8.1 Male is available for free like the other Genesis 8 Figures (G8F, G8M, G8.1F) the Genesis 8 Male Starter Essentials has been updated to include 8.1 male.

• You can get the most out of this updated figure and the PBR Skin Shader if you upgrade DS to 4.15.

Post edited by MimicMolly on
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited January 2021

/edit

I guess I'm...not my best self today.

Post edited by evilded777 on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Unfortunately, not buying men's content just means less made. Thats the reality. But you should not buy things you don't like. 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,029

Michael 8.1 gives you new morphs, and a new skin texture using the new PBR shader. The product also includes G8.1M body hair.

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 681

Thanks, for all the helpful feedback. I helps me understand the situation. I try to always buy the male bundles to support them.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,438

Leana said:

Michael 8.1 gives you new morphs, and a new skin texture using the new PBR shader. The product also includes G8.1M body hair.

that comes free with GM 8.1 .. other than the Michsael 8.1 skin textures 

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited January 2021

daveso said:

Leana said:

...There is no need to tell the accounting department everything... laugh

TD

Post edited by thd777 on
    edited January 2021

daveso said:

Leana said:

None of the things I have listed come with GM8.1. The morphs and textures are specific to M8.1, and the body hair is not included with the base.

Post edited by Leana on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited January 2021

Granville said:

Will someone explain to me in simple bullet points why I need the new Michael 8.1? It seems like it would be beneficial, but I need to justify it to my accounting department in simple words.

You don't need.

You may have a viable business case for purchasing, or it may offer features that you can utilise from a personal perspective.

I bought V8.1, and like the new shaders - especially for the eyes, and the improved expressions will be nice to have - but I certainly didn't need.

I can't see myself purchasing; I never bought 8.0, as just too damn pretty, too clean. The occasional use for guys means i just manage with default - although Ollie 8 was awesome.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Mainly because using the FACS expressions is so much easier and improved and less so for the new IRay PBR Skin shader materials. And if you bought Victoria 8.1, Michael 8.1 is a given if you want Victoria 8.1 to have a technically quivalent  male, unless you buy only female models.

That the character itself it as good in uniqueness and modeled quality as prior 8.0 characters that people bought with no complaints is a good reason too, if you collect on that basis of being a DO featured Genesis character. Quite a few people do.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

nonesuch00 said:

Mainly because using the FACS expressions is so much easier and improved

The new face rig should be included with the base G8.1 Male so you should get it just by updating your Genesis 8 Male Essentials.  

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited January 2021

i dont have a banner offer to buy M8.1,  am i unchosen?

just for fun tried m81 in the cart with his hd add on, didnt help each other.

Post edited by Mistara on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited January 2021

melissastjames said:

nonesuch00 said:

Mainly because using the FACS expressions is so much easier and improved

The new face rig should be included with the base G8.1 Male so you should get it just by updating your Genesis 8 Male Essentials.  

It is! My bad. So mainly to have a skin materials set basis that is functionally equivalent demonstration to Victoria 8.1 although your could set up very similar yourself with the new PBR Skin  Material preset. without buying either having a reference for both is convenient.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Mystiarra said:

i dont have a banner offer to buy M8.1,  am i unchosen?

just for fun tried m81 in the cart with his hd add on, didnt help each other.

Vicky's banner was for owning some old thing that was included in the bundle.  There's nothing old in Mike's bundle. 

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,772

Like with all characters, only buy him if you like his morph and skin. He happens to get released at the same time as the new G8.1M base figure, but ultimately Michael 8.1 is just another character,

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,473

Hylas said:

Like with all characters, only buy him if you like his morph and skin. He happens to get released at the same time as the new G8.1M base figure, but ultimately Michael 8.1 is just another character,

Except, many future characters will require M8.1 to look the way they were meant, the same way that's done with previous Victoria/Michael generations, in that sense Victoria and Michael are not "just another character"

without 'pro' bundle, how does it wok now to get the pro anatomicals?

thanks

Mystiarra said:

thanks

They're usually included in the new bundles.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited January 2021

Granville said:

Just off the top of my head...

• All the cool kids are doing it.

• If you don't you'll be left out and not understand Michael 8.1 related jokes and references like "mesh muffins"...

• Pets won't respect you if they see you working with the older version.

• You'll start to feel old and left behind, like some formerly frozen caveman as portrayed by Brendan Fraser in Encino Man.

• Michael 8.1 has fewer calories and is made entirely out of recycled polygons and is probably carbon neutral too... maybe.

• Think of the children.

• Peer pressure from lunatics who have nothing better to do than to post random lists of stuff to total strangers.

• M 8.1 content production will support many starving published artists who would otherwise turn to cannibalism, allowing exotic viruses to mutate and bring about a zombie apocalypse.

• I dunno it's new...

I hope this helps or at least give people something to think about. 

Post edited by McGyver on
    edited January 2021

Leana said:

Mystiarra said:

thanks

They're usually included in the new bundles.

i forgot to check if the hd addon includes the anatomical textures.

Doesnt mention it.  just says 6 normal maps 

Post edited by Mistara on
  • ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited January 2021

Granville said:

in simple words : "because I want", btw who is in charge of your accounting department..."mom" "dad" "husband" ?

if your enterprise needs 3D assets for some reason and I was on your accounting department my answer will be NO for you.

why?, Michael 8.zero is enough for now, dont' fall Daz's Marketing strategies like "Oh we made G8F 8.1 so we need to create G8M8.1 in a urge rite now!"

Post edited by Zilvergrafix on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,772
    edited January 2021

PerttiA said:

Hylas said:

Except, many future characters will require M8.1 to look the way they were meant, the same way that's done with previous Victoria/Michael generations, in that sense Victoria and Michael are not "just another character"

Fair enough.

At least in the past there has been a significant amount of characters that require Michael or Victoria.

But both V8.1 and M8.1 were just introduced without a single add-on character. Who knows if they'll get as many add-on characters as previous Michaels and Victorias?

At the same time so many great characters are released that don't require anything other than the bare Genesis base figure.

In any case, you can still eventually buy M8.1 when a character based on him is published that you absolutely can't do without.

I wouldn't buy a character now just because at one point in the future he might be required for something else.

Buy him now if you want him now.

Post edited by Hylas on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

PerttiA said:

Hylas said:

Base characters aren't as important as they used to be when V8/M8 first came out.  Some PA characters will probably be based on them, sure, but not even Trance, a character included in the M8.1 bundle requires M8.1.  You didn't see that with the M8 Pro Bundle.

• Closed since there is already an active Michael 8.1 thread https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/468641/michael-8-1/

This discussion has been closed.