How do I get all my Daz Content?

Pre DS 4.15 I was using only Daz Connect (the build in thing in Daz Stuido) to install all my assets. I know it can't install V4 but whatever. Problem was there were some packages that just won't install correctly even after multiple re-installations. So that and V4 I couldn't get my entire library installed.

Come DS 4.15, Daz has been pushing us to use Daz Central, I don't like it, I don't get the point of it since installing things from inside DS is way more convenient, but I thought they've been pushing this for a while, probably have some long term plan for it, might aswell jump on the wagon. So I uninstalled everything from Daz Connect and Started over with Daz Central.

Frist terror - there's no install all, I had to individually click "Install" for 2000+ packages. Don't ask.

Finally done, everything installed with Daz Central, open Daz Studio about 350 packages are marked grey. Double check with Central, they're installed, check files on HDD - Yep, present. DS just won't recognize them as installed. Let it scan for content and what not. Same thing. Fine, install the "missing" ones via Daz Connect.

Start doing stuff with DS, I notice some files show errors...

So my question is how (after 4 installation methods) do I properly install all my content, without duplicate and busted files. I really would love it to work as intended. 

Comments

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,276
    edited January 2021

May I suggest that you use DIMif Daz Central isn't serving your needs: https://www.daz3d.com/install-manager-info/   DIM does install V4 and her content.  Install it from the official link.  Open the program, configure where things should download and go by clicking on the gear and choosing locations.  Login as you would for the DAZ3d site, and download and install your content.  There is a button to tell it to delete installers when it is done.  You can also manually install using it by going to the order/ account pages of your acount, downloading the manual install zips, place them in the folder, Install Manager > Downloads,  and opening DIM, trigger the little Refresh pinwheel near the top, and hit install.  

Post edited by nemesis10 on
  • Daz has the Central only for those looking for an easier way. I still use DIM and Daz is still supporting it.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,539

If you are using DAZ Connect and DAZ Central or DIM, you are asking for trouble, since DAZ Connect installs everything to non-standard locations, so you will end up having the same content installed multiple times => Problems.

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Another vote for DIM, its as easy as downloading it, logging in and selecting what you want to install. Sofar it's the best way to do it, since Central and Connect can be lackluster with their results.

• PerttiA said:

If you are using DAZ Connect and DAZ Central or DIM, you are asking for trouble, since DAZ Connect installs everything to non-standard locations, so you will end up having the same content installed multiple times => Problems.

If there is a Connect install any DIM/Daz Central files for the same product will be ignored.

• I see people rooting for DIM, but isn't that the same installation method as Daz Central with a different skin? 

Downloading 100s of Gigabytes over and over is no fun, but I guess that's where this is going.

1. How do I uninstall everything installed by Central?

2. Just to be safe, I'd like to completely wipe any metadata, detabese, indexing whatever DS is doing to keep it's content in check. Like if I've never had anything Daz related. How do I do that?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Daz Central is DIM with most of the options stripped away for simplicity.  DIM can uninstall anything installed with Daz Central, and can queue multiple items for uninstall/download/install.  In DS you can go to Database Maintenance and reset the database.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,276

Daz Central is the trike and DIM is the racing bike.  Quickly:

Daz Central limits where things install; DIM lets you install where you want

Daz Central has minimal customization; DIM is highly customizable

DIM is wonderful for offline installations: download a manual zip, place it in DIM's download folder and install...