Transform photo into something that was made with DAZ (or other 3D program)

PschelfhPschelfh Posts: 261
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I've always been trying to make photorealistic renders, but sometimes I like the 'almost real, but still fake' look! :)

Are there any tutorials about doing the opposite? Turning real photos into something that was made with a 3D program.
I'm especialy looking to give a real person that 3D game/CGI look (I think I saw a movie once were they had this look, but I can't remember the name...)

I've been googling, but all I come up with are 3D viewing/printing tutorials..grrr

Thanks,
Peter.

Comments

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,549
    edited October 2014

Can't help with the tutorials but the movie may have been "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within". This was made in 2001 and was the most realistic looking 3d animation to that date.

Post edited by pwiecek on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Not exactly sure what you are aiming for. There have been apps in the past that claimed to take photographs and turn them into 3D models. I had one from eFrontier that would take your drawings and turn them into a 3d mesh. Grobotto can do this as well.

They are nice apps but I found of limited use for what I needed them for.

Poser's face room (as well as the full SI Face Gen) allows you take a photograph of a person and apply it to one of the models. FaceShop also has that ability.

Problem I've found is that no matter how photo realistic the texture is, there is still that uncanny valley. CGI has come a long ways but I still find things like eyes a dead giveaway. Pose is another.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,554
    edited December 1969

I think the goal is take a photo and edit it so it looks like a 3D render - to push reality into the uncanny valley.

• PschelfhPschelfh Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

I think the goal is take a photo and edit it so it looks like a 3D render - to push reality into the uncanny valley.

Indeed Richard! :) I want to make a real photo look like it's done in a 3d program.

Peter.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,943
    edited December 1969

This is probably something that needs to be done in an image editor rather than a 3D program
    making skins more uniform glossy plastic looking even
    maybe add a few 3D elements to it like clothed bodies as layers and Daz/Poser hair

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,943
    edited December 1969

For animation Reallusion crazytalk on sale in Daz store, is also useful to give photos a 3D animated feel.

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

PowerPoint is your friend. GIMP too, but the first one is better for me once you have learnt it - and it loads quicker. There are presets as well, so you get results quickly.

• 3dTox3dTox Posts: 82
    edited December 1969

well you could cut out the items in the photo via photoshop, to place on various staggered primitive planes to give a depth and somewhat keeping that 2d photograph look. It will take some time to do, creating opacity maps for each layer, but might give the look you are going for.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,587
    edited December 1969

Is the film you're thinking of, "A Scanner Darkly"?

edited December 1969

prixat said:
    Is the film you're thinking of, "A Scanner Darkly"?

No, it was more like the graphics of a 3d game.

Peter.

edited December 1969

This tutorial goes in the right direction of what I'm looking for :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBLLpXlIXxw

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

You could look at the effects of some photo filters. A cheap (think free) way of trying some out is by downloading Virtual Photographer from OptikVerve http://www.optikvervelabs.com/

• info_b3470fa520info_b3470fa520 Posts: 882
    edited November 2014

Indeed Richard! :) I want to make a real photo look like it's done in a 3d program.

Peter.

FaceAge for Photoshop can do that. Worth a try
    Laslo

hillary-clinton2.jpg
    1240 x 775 - 181K
    hillary-clinton-ftr.jpg
    1240 x 775 - 116K
    Box.jpg
    650 x 500 - 139K
    Post edited by info_b3470fa520 on
  • ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

This tutorial goes in the right direction of what I'm looking for :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBLLpXlIXxw

"Learn Photo Editing USING R..." This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Lex Protector International Law Office (Agent LearnVideoEdting).

NOW I want to know what that video said!

I think what you want is some plain ol' photomanipulation using photoshop or the like.

• info_b3470fa520info_b3470fa520 Posts: 882
    edited November 2014

Try this link:
    http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-48396527764316/FAPS.wmv

Need windows media player to play

Or visit here to learn more:
    http://abalonellc.com/faceage-10.html

Post edited by info_b3470fa520 on