Iray Vellus Horizon Shader Problems for G8F

Just bought Iray Vellus Horizon Shader system for Genesis 8 female.  I load the geoshell as per the instructions then the character disappears. I then load the shader, still invisible character. Same with or without Iray turned on. Turn on lights and I get a white ghost of the vellus hair with still no character. I thought something was adjusted wrong with the geoshell but it doesn't appear in the scene list (I assumed it would). Any ideas? 

Post edited by puggonn_1873d69a5e on

Comments

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,276

Tradionally, when you load a geoshell to a character, apply a shader to the geoshell and the character "disappears", it means that the hieracticalmaterial pose is screwed up.  Triple-check  that you are applying the shader to the geoshell and not the character. 

• puggonn_1873d69a5epuggonn_1873d69a5e Posts: 35
    edited March 2021

When I apply the geoshell the character disapears also, I am using genesis 8 female base character. It also made another character disapear the same way. 

Post edited by puggonn_1873d69a5e on
  • Can I suggest looking through the thread here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/459006/released-vellus-horizon-shader-system-user-guide-in-comments/p1 

That thread is regularly visited by ThoseThings to give support and there are desciptions of how to work it too.

Regards,

Richard

• SOLVED:

I too had the disappearing figure issue initially and this is because I had confused the "USE FIRST Geoshell Prep" button as the command that would actually load a full body geoshell onto G8.  This is not the case.  What that button does is to assign an all new Iray Uber material to everything and anything you have selected in the scene tab (the G8F figure itself in my case) with all opacities set to ZERO.  This explains why she disappeared.  It turns out that the real first step is, with your figure selected, to manually apply a fullbody geoshell via the CREATE  menu at the top, and then halfway down that list you hit "New Geometry Shell."  Youll see a plain gray shell now covering your figure, and it kindly selects itself automatically on creation which is good, because NOW with the shell selected we can run that "USE FIRST Geoshell Prep" and bingo boingo now it's the shell that disappears (really still just sitting there with a new blank Iray Uber may assigned with a zero opacity).  And finally with the invisible shell selected now you can run whichever or all of the Mat presets unique to the Vellus Horizon system.

Hope that clears it up :)

• gordonjolly42gordonjolly42 Posts: 21
    edited April 26

I found this thread because I wasn't seeing any vellus effect. The explanation that you need to load a geoshell youself doesn't seem to be true - The "USE FIRST" step did it for me, with the main figure selected. Another thread has a later meassage from the vendor (April 2022) saying that the workflow has been improved, and I'm assuming it has taken care of it. 

My problem was simply that I hadn't selected the surface of the geoshell that I wanted to apply the vellus to. So it applied it (correctly!) to nothing.

davidmichaelsimmons_146b0da4d1 said:

SOLVED:

I too had the disappearing figure issue initially and this is because I had confused the "USE FIRST Geoshell Prep" button as the command that would actually load a full body geoshell onto G8.  This is not the case.  What that button does is to assign an all new Iray Uber material to everything and anything you have selected in the scene tab (the G8F figure itself in my case) with all opacities set to ZERO.  This explains why she disappeared.  It turns out that the real first step is, with your figure selected, to manually apply a fullbody geoshell via the CREATE  menu at the top, and then halfway down that list you hit "New Geometry Shell."  Youll see a plain gray shell now covering your figure, and it kindly selects itself automatically on creation which is good, because NOW with the shell selected we can run that "USE FIRST Geoshell Prep" and bingo boingo now it's the shell that disappears (really still just sitting there with a new blank Iray Uber may assigned with a zero opacity).  And finally with the invisible shell selected now you can run whichever or all of the Mat presets unique to the Vellus Horizon system.

Hope that clears it up :)

Post edited by gordonjolly42 on