Making clothes hang straight down?

StargazeyStargazey Posts: 240
edited December 1969 in New Users

I've fitted a tail coat for V4 to G2F, but when I move her legs the tails of the coat follow the shape of the legs, rather than hanging straight down. Is there a way to stop the coat tails following the figure? I'd be really grateful for any help with this 'cause it's really spoiling what I'm hoping could be a really good render. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,151
    edited December 1969

That can be done, by creating new bones with the joint editor and using the weight-map editing tools to have them control the tails instead of the legs (of course the downside is that the tails then need to be posed in every situation). However, it isn't really an absolute new user thing - and how easy it is depends on the cut of the coat. Have you looked at any of the rigging tools before? Which coat is it?

• StargazeyStargazey Posts: 240
    edited November 2014

Thanks for the reply.

It's from the "Miss Magic" set. To be honest I know almost nothing about rigging! Could you recommend any tutorials for a beginner?
    (Actually I made a mistake in my original post, the outfit is for Genesis, not V4!)

Post edited by Stargazey on
  • Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,134
    edited December 1969

All you need to do is to find the corresponding bone in the Coat and then just bend it back in the opposite direction to the leg bend. In the images below the first picture shows what happens when G2F's Left Thigh is bent 85 degrees forwards. In the second picture the Left Thigh bone of the Showcoat is bent 85 degrees backwards. No extra rigging required!

msmagic_cmb.jpg
    1001 x 615 - 76K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,890
    edited December 1969

There is another way I use more for skirts and it uses the polygon geometry editor or whatever it is called now and two instances of clothing.
    One autofitted the other parented to hip add smoothing to hip half or both.
    on the first select the polygons below the hip and make invisible with right click
    the other select the ones above the hip and do this.
    You now have a fitted top and parented boned bottom.
    These can be renamed, invisible polygons deleted and saved as new support assets too.
    You need to resize bottom to match as not fitted so skirted dresses better as can make waist cut point but lapels should be doable too.

• StargazeyStargazey Posts: 240
    edited December 1969

Thanks for all the help. It didn't occur to me that I could just reposition the coat tails independently. (I had a similar problem with a dress a while back that just refused not to stick to the legs.)

Having said that, I really must try to get my head around things like polygon editors, weight mapping and so on. I know they exist, and vaguely what they do, it's just getting the hang of actually using them! :-)