Upgrade for Poser Debut?

SemicharmSemicharm Posts: 374
edited November 2014 in The Commons

Noticed on the Poser updates page that there was an update for Poser Debut. I no longer use it, but decided to get the update anyway because the version I had was based on Poser 8 and would be completely useless without the update if I needed it later. However, the page the link sent me to said it was for Debut version 10. Nonetheless it took my old serial number and gave me a download manager to retrieve the update. This too asked for my serial and gave me the full install for Debut 10, which is based on Poser 10.

Since they still support Debut, but apparently didn't want to fix the compatibility issues with Poser 8, they quietly kicked Debut up to Poser 10. That's somewhat of a bonus considering that the newest full version I have is Poser 9, and I'd got Debut for free long before then as part of a giveaway. So, anyone who uses Debut, or like me happens to have it but doesn't yet have Poser 10, can at least access all the newer figures and some of the features too.

http://my.smithmicro.com/poser-debut-updates.html

Post edited by Semicharm on

Comments

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

Last time I updated Debut (I got it free, like you did), they included figures in the upgrade package that weren't in the original Runtime set: figures like the P5 Male and Female...
    ;)

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

You would need to check the SMS website. When the upgrade was released it was free to registered Poser Debut owners. Poser Debut was a scaled back version of P8. It accepted both legacy figures and the P8 rigged figures. The upgrade is a scaled back version of Poser 10. You can use both legacy and Poser weight mapped figures in it. The content upgrades to Alyson2 and Ryan2.

If it's still free, pick it up. It's not like you lose anything. And, yes, even if you picked it up for free during that one day giveaway, you can still upgrade. Even if the upgrade is free.

• SemicharmSemicharm Posts: 374
    edited December 1969

Last time I updated Debut (I got it free, like you did), they included figures in the upgrade package that weren't in the original Runtime set: figures like the P5 Male and Female...
    ;)

All I saw with debut were the clothed versions of Don and Judy, not the plan versions. Did I miss something? I already got them anyway, with one of the "missing content" updates for Poser 7 that got "lost" in the switchover from efrontier to SmithMicro, but I was just curious if they were still technically available somewhere.
    edited December 1969

Check the Content Paradise website. If CP still has them available, you need your P6 serial for P6 add on and your P7 serial for the P7 add on.

edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    Check the Content Paradise website. If CP still has them available, you need your P6 serial for P6 add on and your P7 serial for the P7 add on.

Later versions of Poser didn't have the full set of Poser 5 figures. I only found them in the "Poser 5 Legacy Content Updater". However, if you go to the page http://my.smithmicro.com/poser-content-updates.html and try to get it now:

ERROR

We were unable to validate your update request because some of the information we require was missing. Please use the back button in your browser to return to the form and review your entries.

In fact, none of the downloads here prior to Poser 8, before SmithMicro took over, are available. I luckily got them before then.

edited December 1969

My first render with Roxie. Makes a decent teen-ish figure too. Not great, but decent.

Test1a.jpg
    700 x 700 - 27K
  • stoltenkamp.scottstoltenkamp.scott Posts: 95
    edited December 1969

semicharm said:
    icprncss said:

Later versions of Poser didn't have the full set of Poser 5 figures. I only found them in the "Poser 5 Legacy Content Updater". However, if you go to the page http://my.smithmicro.com/poser-content-updates.html and try to get it now:

ERROR

We were unable to validate your update request because some of the information we require was missing. Please use the back button in your browser to return to the form and review your entries.

In fact, none of the downloads here prior to Poser 8, before SmithMicro took over, are available. I luckily got them before then.

Might depend on your Ser#'s.. I was able to grab 4/5/6 stuff w/ mine

edited November 2014

Hmm... Good to know they still work. I guess the problem is on my end then. :D At least I have them already.

Post edited by Semicharm on
    edited December 1969

Did you register your serials for P4/Poser ProPack, P5, P6 and P7 with SMS when they acquired Poser? SMS gave 30 days to download your entire CP order history and register your serials with them.

You can try registering your older Poser serials with them but don't be surprised if they get kicked back. If they do, send a copy of your purchase invoice (if you bought a digital download, go to the legacy CP site and look up your purchase). There were some issues with serials for Poser 6 with eFrontier (they ended up giving some buyer's cash off because of it).