I want more functionality for hair...

halfmast88halfmast88 Posts: 63
edited December 1969 in New Users

If I have longer hair on a figure and i need it to pose differently than the included movement morphs allow is that something that can be done? For example, if i have the figure doing a cartwheel, can I make the hair hang straight down or straight out to the back? Or am i limited to the pre made movements that are included with the hair? Unless the figure is posed is posed pretty much standing up, or if the neck is not lined up with the spine I'm limited to just short styles. -Thanks

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

It's not impossible, just a bit more difficult. There is a function in Daz Studio called the DForm utility. Essentially this lets you bend and move parts of an object to create your own custom morphs. The downside is that it's a bit tricky to use.

A DForm has several parts to it. A 'Field' which shows you which vertices the morph will affect, with red being the most affected. A base which I'm sure is supposed to serve a function, but isn't something I've figured out for myself. And the DForm gizmo which can be translated, rotated or scaled to affect the vertices enveloped by the Field.

Or you could bring the hair into your favourite modeling app and just create your own movement morphs, which would give you far more control but does assume you're handy with a 3D modeler.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

Many of the hair done in most recent times are done with many different morphs. Make sure you look at what's included on the hair model for what morphs are available. You can also do your own within DAZ with DFormers (if you're using Studio). There are other ways, of course.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,151
    edited December 1969

Note, however, that most hair is made up of several overlapping layers rather than strands - so in most cases going from hanging down straight to upside down isn't going to be possible whatever tools you apply to the mesh. Hair made from ZBrush Fibremesh would do it, but it tneds to be polygon-heavy (and often looks coarse). Strand-based hair (Garibaldi or Look at My Hair) could be restyled to do it for a still, but you can't animate changes with either of them as far as I know.

• Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
    edited December 1969

Great topic. I am going to be needing this as well. I didn't know about DFormer so I will have to play around with that.

This has actually been frustrating me lately. I'm planning to do a webcomic starring two characters who are essentially martial artists, which means a lot of acrobatic flips and such like, and choosing a hair has been very difficult, because I have been trying to find ones that come with the morphs I need. But maybe DFormer will provide me with enough of a solution that I can choose the hairs I want, rather than the hairs that will work.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,895
    edited December 1969

send to Hexagon and use soft select to pull hair works well when Hexagon wants to!
    then send back to DAZ studio as morph target

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

I have done cartwheel poses in stills using Garibaldi hair. There is one in my Deviant Art gallery called "Dreaming In Color" (warning nudity and you have to sign up for deviant art to see it) that has a cartwheel pose in it. Deviant Art gallery link is in my signature.

Like Richard says, this only works for stills, not animations.