Stupid question about saved thumbnails in DS

McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
edited November 2014 in The Commons

Probably a pointless stupid question, but... I've finally started making some headway with making DS MATs for use with my freebie models... they may not be too great, or even good, but they seem to work, and they don't explode or taste bad and at least Studio is saving them now and I can actually find them...
anyway, I guess I never really noticed before but when one saves a material preset in studio, it will add a ".duf" to the thumbnail's file name... as opposed to Poser, where it just calls it "WhateverYourFileName.png"
(which in DS would be "WhateverYourFileName.duf.png").
Obviously it seems to be meant to work this way, since upon examination of professional files, they are all more or less that way...
Well, mostly... some have no ".duf"(though they may be professional, they may not be from DAZ3D)...
So is it really necessary?

I'm only asking this because :

1- I'm a Mac user, and while stuff may not be a problem for me, maybe it might be on a PC (sharing-wise), and there used to be issues with making long file names on a Mac and then trying to use them on a PC or so I was told (not to do). Some of my file names are kinda long to begin with anyway, so adding 3 extra characters wouldn't help the situation, I'd imagine...

2- I also believe I was once warned against using a dot in a file when it wasn't specifically the one to distinguish what kinda file it was (.obj, .dae, .jpg, .tuna.... etc)... but obviously this seem to be a urban myth or a Windows 1.01 kinda thing ( too far back?)...

3- It looks scary and unnatural, and made me so nervous I ate a whole big huge pile of bacon and all butter pound cake.

Actually number 3 is a lie, I was going to do that anyway, but I just wanted to confirm that this is the way its meant to be for "100% sure"...

Anyway, thank you for diverting your eyeballs to this question and thank you in advance for any suggestions, responses, free bacon or anything you feel like contributing to this topic.

Especially the free bacon thing.

Post edited by McGyver on

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,602
    edited November 2014

...the whole "dot" and long file name issue is because Windows is basically built on DOS and therefore still follows DOS file naming conventions.

Not sure how things works with LInux.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,131
    edited December 1969

The addition of the content file extension (,duf in this case) began a while back so that scene (.daz) and preset (.dsa/dsb/dse) could be in the same folder, with the same name, without conflict. Since all files saved from DS4.56+ are .duf (ignoring the deprecated script file presets) it isn't vital but it remains in place; however you can safely delete the extension, leaving a Poser-style name.png, and DS will match thumbnail to content file.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 1969

Cool, thank you for the replies! I shall be deleting the additional offending extension names from those thumbnails... My OCD (Obnoxious Carnivore Disorder) kicks in when I see stuff like that and I have eat bacon or delete whatever it is that is disturbing me.
    But its good to know that it's really not necessary.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

drives me nuts.. and wastes me so much time deleting all that crud.