Unload parts of a scene?

ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
edited December 1969 in New Users

I'm working on a big location piece where I plan to do multiple shots in different areas. Not animation, just set up, render, set up, render like 4 or 5 shots.

However, the thing seems...large. Takes about 4.5 gigs of RAM to load it up.

Is it possible to tell the program to ...unload areas? Drop the assets from memory? But, have them available to reload when I need them?

(So not deleting from the scene, but turning off visabilitiy I don't think helps with memory?).

Or is my only real option to save multiple copies and delete unneeded from each?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,151
    edited December 1969

Making items invisible will help with rendering, but not with basic scene navigation. What I would suggest is use File>Save as>Scene subset to create a set of partial scenes, which you could then load individually or merge into a combined scene as needed.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

Hmm.. I have characters instanced around the set...can the load from a subset, or would they always be with their parent?
    (though instances wouldn't have much problems with the RAM load, I'd guess).

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,151
    edited December 1969

For instances you'd need the original in the scene.

edited December 1969

I'm wondering, given the problems from the other thread (the scaling issue) on whether this thing can be compartmentalized at all.

• zombiewhackerzombiewhacker Posts: 671
    edited December 1969

For instances you'd need the original in the scene.

So characters can never be saved with a scene subset, only with the original scene?

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

So characters can never be saved with a scene subset, only with the original scene?

No, it's a case of instances of any kind of object being dependent on the original object. Load a scene or subset with the original object, and all its instances will appear in the scene as well. I'm not sure if D|S even allows you to think you've saved an instance independent of the original. Remember, an instance isn't something like a copy/paste of the original, it is the original.
    edited December 1969

Well, I instanced a bunch of furnitutre and deleted the originals (all duplicates, so instances don't matter) but after a restart, i don't see it doing any impact on the memory.

I guess the things weren't big enough to matter.

(14 stool props, turned into 1 stool and 13 instances, 5 tables turned into 1/4.).

edited December 1969

And seperating out a bunch of the stuff into subscene, deleting them, and restarting the program, I'm seeing very little RAM change. maybe .1 gig.